Johnathan Smith is a patriot

nodnarb

Damn, always liked the kid. He'll probably be able to give the Pats some good intel on the offense, too. I knew this would happen with the Pats' wobbly WR corp. He has good hands, too.

Patriots | J. Smith claimed off waivers

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:40:36 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have claimed free agent WR Jonathan Smith (Bills) off waivers.

BTW: Anyone else surprised by the lack of depth on both lines? We have to hope we don't take any injuries to DT or OT.

BTW: Anyone else surprised by the lack of depth on both lines? We have to hope we don't take any injuries to DT or OT.

We knew what we had on the DL & I think we're okay in that regard, but yes, OL we're thin (I'm not speaking of the guys girth :w00t: ) & it is somewhat of a surprise that they went w/ such inexperienced BUs.

WRT DT, you knew Triplett & McCargo were locks. Anderson was likely to be in the mix & we were all pleasantly surprised by Williams. Since we opted to keep 'quality' players at other positions, it dictated that we keep the #s low at others. Personally, I don't think a 5th DT or DE brings much. As for DE, Schobel, Kelsay & Denney were pretty much locks and everyone else was basically a 'nobody'; the only question was which one (or 2) we kept.

For OL, I was hopeful that Gibson would pan out, but apparently he is/was washed up.

What I saw of McFarland he sucked but I don't know how much of that was attributable to injuries (he's rather inexperienced, too, anyway). As others have said elsewhere, Jerman was mediocre (& I'm being kind relative to others appraisals) so I guess the thought was it was better to cross ones fingers and go w/ younger players that have more upside.

Well, according to Marv & Company, Not-So-Fast Freddie was the 8th best WR on the Bills. That's why he was cut. New England seems to be in trouble at WR with the signing of Smith & the trade for Gabriel. I wonder if they just signed Smith to get info. on the Bills for next Sunday? I think NE is in for a much closer game next Sunday than they think.

Freddie was an average receiver at best...He would be a #5-6-7 on most teams, which is why I'm not worried if the Pats plan on using him at WR. He excels at kick returns, but he's not as good as McGee on KO's and not as good as Parrish on PR's. We had a bunch of good receivers, and some had to be cut. Freddie was just not as good as the others.

I'd be more worried about him shaking loose on a punt return on Sunday rather than him spilling the beans about our playbook. Most of what is installed in the preseason is base sets and formations, all of which are on film, and all of which I'm sure Belichick and Co. have made themselves extremely familiar with already. This week in practice (and every week here-after), the Bills will install several new formations and plays specifically for their opponent. Freddie won't help the Pats with those.

I wouldn't even put this in the same ballpark as Milloy coming to the Bills before the '03 opener. Milloy was the captain, leader, and soul of the team. Several Patriots mentioned what a crushing blow it was when he was released...That was before he even signed with us. He gave the offense one pointer on the Pats safeties, where he said on a certain route, they will zig instead of zag. That equalled a 40-yard pass to Moulds. Other than that, I'm not sure Milloy provided much info. I think the Pats were defeated when they walked onto the field.

If the Bills lose this game, I don't think Fast Freddie's 'inside info' will be the reason.

I think NE is in for a much closer game next Sunday than they think.

760942[/snapback]

I don't.

The currant regime at NE seems to be on the ball in it's assessments of all things football.

I think they know they are in for a close game next Sunday. :w00t: