Colin Cowheard

bdelma

I heard on ESPN the other day that he said that Cliff Kingsbury was cut by the Bears. He went on to say that there is griese, grossman already there. He mentioned that Cliff passed for over 10,000 yards and can't make the NFL and also a list of all state and all american's who were also waived.

Anybody like that guy?

Did he make the mistake of saying Kliff Kingsbury was cut by the Bears, or is that your mistake? I listen to him quite a bit and he doesn't move me much one way or the other. ESPN radio likes him in part because he's loud and make outrageous statements. That generates controversy and controversy translates to good ratings.

Did he make the mistake of saying Kliff Kingsbury was cut by the Bears, or is that your mistake?  I listen to him quite a bit and he doesn't move me much one way or the other.  ESPN radio likes him in part because he's loud and make outrageous statements.  That generates controversy and controversy translates to good ratings.

756828[/snapback]

He actually said he "couldn't make the bears" who he implied had bad quarterbacking. He, like most talk show hosts, wouldn't know who played 2nd string on just about any team. Take him with a grain of salt ...

Personally, I've liked Cowherd since he did his local show here in Portland - always thought he was talented enough to go national. He at least talks football year-round - and call me crazy but his non-football "rants" are pretty funny when taken in small doses. Is there any national figure on sports radio that doesn't piss off half the listeners? I doubt it or he wouldn't last long.

Cowherd is a fuggin CHOAD! My guys at work always listen to ESPN radio and I generally am there during his show so I've heard him a lot. All I can remember is how he went on a 2 hour speal last year before the Texas/Ohio State game about how Texas had no shot at winning in Columbus. I mean really, he really would have bet his house on it.

Then when Texas won he hung up on everyone who called in to laugh at him. He really couldn't take being wrong; it was like a 4 year old was on the radio. Not that I don't like Ohio State or anything but this guy is a closest Buckeye fan and it shows in the worst way.

He also did the Same thing to Texas prior to the National Championship and took every chance he could to take a shot at Vince Young. I don't even like Texas (I went to Misssouri), but I couldn't stand to listen to him bash them last year.

Then when Texas won he hung up on everyone who called in to laugh at him.  He really couldn't take being wrong; it was like a 4 year old was on the radio.  Not that I don't like Ohio State or anything but this guy is a closest Buckeye fan and it shows in the worst way.

756915[/snapback]

Actually he's a west coast Pac-10 USC fan who tries to avoid looking like a west coaster by pimping his team du jour. I don't care who he picks - he's more entertaining than anyone else on ESPN. Now if you were comparing him to Dave Chapelle or sumthin', then talk to me - but Mike and Mike / Jim Rome and the other lineup of cleetuses - puhleeeze.

Actually he's a west coast Pac-10 USC fan who tries to avoid looking like a west coaster by pimping his team du jour.  I don't care who he picks - he's more entertaining than anyone else on ESPN.  Now if you were comparing him to Dave Chapelle or sumthin', then talk to me - but Mike and Mike / Jim Rome and the other lineup of cleetuses - puhleeeze.

756922[/snapback]

Very True, but he doesn't try to hide his Pac-10 love as much although its just as annoying. Personally I don't mind listening to Dan Patrick but don't really care for anyone else.

Very True, but he doesn't try to hide his Pac-10 love as much although its just as annoying.  Personally I don't mind listening to Dan Patrick but don't really care for anyone else.

756934[/snapback]

Locally, we have a choice between FOX Sports Radio and ESPN radio, on our radio airwaves. Jim Romes' radio show is played on our Fox affiliate, opposite Dan Patrick...if I hear Rome, I can't turn the station fast enough, to Patrick.

That being said, while Patrick is much easier to listen two, and mildly amusing in a subltle way, his show represents nearly everything there is to dislke about ESPN in general. His main topics of discussion, more often than not, are things that revolve around ESPN and its' little click of ESPN talking heads.

I like the fact that Patrick doesn't take callers, for the most part. Callers rarely have anything interesting to say. Patrick normally just talks to ESPN cohorts, or ex-cohorts (sorry, I still like Keith Olberman)...the "topics" are mostly things that carry on the ESPN agenda...it is kind of like the FOX news of sports...creating its' own topics, that anybody who never tunes in to ESPN raido or tv, would know anything about.

Then when Texas won he hung up on everyone who called in to laugh at him.  He really couldn't take being wrong; it was like a 4 year old was on the radio.  Not that I don't like Ohio State or anything but this guy is a closest Buckeye fan and it shows in the worst way.

756915[/snapback]

Was he working for WGR at the time?

Herd's also a plagiarist. He took some a bit about Vince Young's bad Wonderlic score from michiganzone.com with crediting them; they called him on it, and he called them whiners for complaining about it. That is, until he had to apologize when ESPN told him that it actually wasn't cool to steal material for his show.

Besides all that, Herd is just unlistenable and sounds like a million other fake-radio personas who should be selling flood-damaged cars at a "Pay Here" lot.

He may have been wrong about the outcome of the Texas games but he is right about Vince Young.  This guy is the next piece of sh-- in the NFL and will be even worse then the highly overrated Michael, can't complete more then 54% of my passes Vick

Cowherd is a fuggin CHOAD!  My guys at work always listen to ESPN radio and I generally am there during his show so I've heard him a lot.  All I can remember is how he went on a 2 hour speal last year before the Texas/Ohio State game about how Texas had no shot at winning in Columbus.  I mean really, he really would have bet his house on it.

He also did the Same thing to Texas prior to the National Championship and took every chance he could to take a shot at Vince Young. I don't even like Texas (I went to Misssouri), but I couldn't stand to listen to him bash them last year.

756915[/snapback]

I could go on and on about colin cowherd but there just isn't enough bandwith on the internet ;=)

You guys have hit on most of the points about his mean-spirited nature and how he just likes to generate controversy making a cheap jim rome knockoff.

At least Rome is funny and Rome is very good. He knows his stuff, makes good points and overdoes it at times with repeating himself and the amount of time he spends talking about himself.

I have to turn the channel away from Rome because of how annoying he can be.

Cowherd does all these things yet doesnt have 1/10 the skill of Rome. I sat there one day and just paid attention to the amount of time he donates just talking about himself and how much of a bada$$

he thinks he is. Every time he crticizes ESPN, he makes himself out to be this renegade talk show host. But when dan patrick criticizes espn, he just talks about the issue and not himself.

Like say, the rush limbaugh firing. Colin goes off on a 10-minute rant about how he is only show on radio who will tell the truth. And sometimes he'll get so into that line of talking that he'll forget what the original issue was. DP will just talk about issues and for the most part not about how the show handles it. It's like 75% of the colin's show is about colin's show. About how he is not afraid to do this, not afriad to do that, he'll say this and he'll say that when others won't.

That is my biggest gripe about the show. If i wanted to listen to someone talk about themselves for 3 hours, I'll call my parents. The show should be renamed "Colin Cowherd on Colin Cowherd"

Any other suggestions?