David Bowie

ajzepp

He's got a movie too???

I'd love to see that, actually!  Only you have to agree to allow me to send you a few bucks for the trouble....SDS was nice enough to burn me some stuff from the band Triumph and I had to get to the point of threatening that I'd send the money to a dolphins message board. Bastard still didn't take it, so I'm NOT letting that happen again. If you are really willing to go through the trouble to send me a copy of that, that would be totally awesome....but dammit, you're going to take a few bucks for the trouble. Deal?

757356[/snapback]

I would consider it my civic duty to supply you with your own copy of Spiders from Mars. Kind of like when I burned the 1993 LD copies of the Star Wars movies for my friend's kids...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, another music thread....muah ha ha  :)

Sorry, but this board is a HUGE resource for me with regard to music....you guys know your sheeaat and I can't bear to go too long w/out picking your brains yet again  ;)

Okay, David Bowie....don't know a THING about the guy other than the fact that he liked/likes to wear some pretty freaky garb on stage. Funny thing is, every time I hear a song on some show that is credited to Bowie, I'm pretty into the music. For example, one of the contestants on Rock Star: Supernova was covering a Bowie hit about some star guy up in space or whatever. It was a pretty simple song, but I really enjoyed it.

So....any of you guys like this weirdo? Care to recommend some starter albums for me?

756646[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread, and just saw it now...

I would go out on a limb and say that Bowies' records from 1969-1980 represent, maybe, the most consistantly excellent, prolific decade of music by any major rock act, post "Seargent Pepper"...I can honestly say, Bowie didn't put out a bad album that entire time. He was churning out an incredible album a year, and touring...today, bands put out one "materpiece", two odd ball left turns, an anthology, in a decade...almost like once the are "discovered" they become too self conscious to be able to sustain what it is that peole liked about them originally...

"Hunky Dory" would probably be my favorite, if I had to pick one, but the Eno trilogy of "Station to Station", "Low" and "Heroes" are pretty tough to beat to...

There are some who theorize that Bowie always did his best music when he was collaborating with another great musician (Iggy, Eno, Mick Ronson....). The fact that he collaborated with nobody of real note on his worst albums "Let's Dance", "Tonight" (ironically his best selling records) lend some creedence...to me it doesn't matter....from 1969-1980, Bowie earned the right to suck ass as hard as he wants after that. His last few albums have been pretty decent, if not entirely memorable...

My Bowie top 5:

1- "Hunky Dory"

2- "Low"

3- "Ziggy Stardust"

4- "Station to Station"

5- "Aladdin Sane"

Honorable mention to "Pin-ups", one of the greates cover albums of all-time...it was through Bowie that I learned about the Syd Barrett solo stuff....

I remember reading that Jeff Buckley was a huge fan of the Smiths....I need to check them out, too.

756870[/snapback]

I won't give you advice on Bowie as you have received some excellent advice (Heros is incredible as is most of the rest of his stuff that isn't from ~'85).

As far as The Smiths go, if you are looking for a "starter" album, the US version would be "Meat is Murder" and the UK version is "Hatful of Hollow". I'd go w/ MIM but both are excellent albums.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread, and just saw it now...

I would go out on a limb and say that Bowies' records from 1969-1980 represent, maybe, the most consistantly excellent, prolific decade of music by any major rock act, post "Seargent Pepper"...I can honestly say, Bowie didn't put out a bad album that entire time.  He was churning out an incredible album a year, and touring...today, bands put out one "materpiece", two odd ball left turns, an anthology, in a decade...almost like once the are "discovered" they become too self conscious to be able to sustain what it is that peole liked about them originally...

"Hunky Dory" would probably be my favorite, if I had to pick one, but the Eno trilogy of "Station to Station", "Low" and "Heroes" are pretty tough to beat to...

There are some who theorize that Bowie always did his best music when he was collaborating with another great musician (Iggy, Eno, Mick Ronson....).  The fact that he collaborated with nobody of real note on his worst albums "Let's Dance", "Tonight" (ironically his best selling records) lend some creedence...to me it doesn't matter....from 1969-1980, Bowie earned the right to suck ass as hard as he wants after that.  His last few albums have been pretty decent, if not entirely memorable...

My Bowie top 5:

1- "Hunky Dory"

2- "Low"

3- "Ziggy Stardust"

4- "Station to Station"

5- "Aladdin Sane"

Honorable mention to "Pin-ups", one of the greates cover albums of all-time...it was through Bowie that I learned about the Syd Barrett solo stuff....

759323[/snapback]

Wow, thanks man! I enjoyed reading that....It doesn't seem like Bowie comes up much in conversation on here, so it's cool to see that so many of you guys are into his stuff! I'm really looking forward to getting into it myself :)

There are some who theorize that Bowie always did his best music when he was collaborating with another great musician (Iggy, Eno, Mick Ronson....).  The fact that he collaborated with nobody of real note on his worst albums "Let's Dance", "Tonight" (ironically his best selling records) lend some creedence...to me it doesn't matter....from 1969-1980, Bowie earned the right to suck ass as hard as he wants after that.  His last few albums have been pretty decent, if not entirely memorable...

My Bowie top 5:

1- "Hunky Dory"

2- "Low"

3- "Ziggy Stardust"

4- "Station to Station"

5- "Aladdin Sane"

759323[/snapback]

Intersting thoughts even if I don't agree with em! Let's Dance had musical merit on it's own and gave what now dead but famous guitarist that I was lucky enough to see third row floor center stage

at Massey Hall in Toronto about 1983 his big break. Even if it wasn't his kind of music

Intersting thoughts even if I don't agree with em! Let's Dance had musical merit on it's own and gave what now dead but famous guitarist that I was lucky enough to see third row floor center stage

at Massey Hall in Toronto about 1983 his big break. Even if it wasn't his kind of music

759373[/snapback]

Oh, I live in Austin, so I intended no disrespect to Stevie...I know SRV got some flack from the purists for the Bowie gig, but don't forget, it was Mick Jagger who recommended SRV to Bowie...

"Lets Dance" on its' own, is a decent 80's pop album, but quite an artistic drop of the ball for Bowie, IMO, Stevie Ray aside...it was that awkward era in pop/rock music history where a lot of great artists fell under the MTV influence, and their music suffered for it...Bowie wasn't exempt...Bowie, prior to that, was always taking artistic risks...in this case, the risk was in pissing off his long-time fans, in favor of garnering a wider audience. A "sell out" if you will...still, I saw him three times on that tour, and enjoyed it a lot...it was the tour after, the "Glass Spider" tour that was the real bottoming out...for the "Tonight" album (the one with "Blue Jean" on it)...Peter Frampton was playing guitar with him...the only highlight, for me, was the show being at the CNE in Toronto...Mick Ronson came out on stage and did "Space Oddity" with him.

Bowie did rebound, some, later in the late 80's, with his Tin Machine stuff...it still wasn't on par with his "golden era" stuff, but he was back to trying newer, more interesting things.

He's got a movie too???

757356[/snapback]

If you likey the freaky movies (Bubba Ho Tep, indeed), find

The Man Who Fell To Earth

In actor mode he doesn't contribute to the soundtrack but IMDB will lead you through all of the soundtracks that you absorbed him from, elsewhere on the page.

(edit: fixed link)

In actor mode he doesn't contribute to the soundtrack but IMDB will lead you through all of the soundtracks that you absorbed him from, elsewhere on the page.

761637[/snapback]

Cool, thanks....I added it to my netflix list. Looks like the reviews are ether love it or hate it, lol. I like sci-fi stuff, though, so I'll be sure to check it out.

(edit: fixed link)

761637[/snapback]

That looks like the perfect role for Bowie...playing a freaky looking dude. :(

Cool, thanks....I added it to my netflix list. Looks like the reviews are ether love it or hate it, lol. I like sci-fi stuff, though, so I'll be sure to check it out.

761640[/snapback]

That looks like the perfect role for Bowie...playing a freaky looking dude.  :(

761813[/snapback]

Uh, yeah... word of warning. It is a lo-fi, sci-fi movie if you know what I mean.

On the freak front he is Nikola Tesla in the much anticipated " The Prestige " which appears to be a heavyweight project along the same lines as " The Illusionist ".

Trailers for The Prestige (2006)

In case nobody has answered your question (I'm too lazy to read all the posts) the song you're talking about is Starman.  Another recent place you would have heard that song was attached to the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.  As a matter of fact the soundtrack to that movie was mostly David Bowie songs as performed by Seu Jorge.  If you've seen the movie he's the black guy with the guitar.  If you haven't seen the movie shame on you.

756789[/snapback]

I just saw it this weekend on Cinemax or Encore. The Bowie tunes in Portuguese were quite entertaining.