QB Rohan Davey cut by Cards

I have to agree. After the Browns game I heard Vic Carruccti mention that he doesn't see someone like Holcomb staying here if he is to be just the third string guy. That was the 1st time I heard someone in the media actually speculate on it. I really think the Bills have a chance to trade Kelly to someone like Indy, where Sorgi is still banged up. Then pick up Davey or one of the Rams QB's that Fairchild worked with (that may be cut) as our 3rd guy.

Also, San Diego is now looking for a veteran QB after releasing AJ Feely tonight. They only have 2 rookies behind Rivers now. So trading Holcomb to them could be an option I hope Levy explores.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9624391

The only reason I mention it is that I can't believe the Bills will let Holcomb stay if he's the #3 QB here.

754787[/snapback]

I'm glad that you posted this! I have always liked Davie and thought that he would be a good fit for Buffalo. When he was drafted by NE I was very dissapointed. I'm sure that given the right shot, he could be a good QB.

Jeff

How many more years in the NFL does Davie need before he's given a "fair shot" ?? He's had plenty of time, he just doesn't get it. He's another good athlete who doesn't have the head for the game. See : Rob Johnson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, etc etc. The NFL is riddled with great athletes with no brain. Unfortunately for them, the QB position requires some ability to think and make decisions quickly.

RTB

I have to agree. After the Browns game I heard Vic Carruccti mention that he doesn't see someone like Holcomb staying here if he is to be just the third string guy. That was the 1st time I heard someone in the media actually speculate on it. I really think the Bills have a chance to trade Kelly to someone like Indy, where Sorgi is still banged up. Then pick up Davey or one of the Rams QB's that Fairchild worked with (that may be cut) as our 3rd guy.

Also, San Diego is now looking for a veteran QB after releasing AJ Feely tonight. They only have 2 rookies behind Rivers now. So trading Holcomb to them could be an option I hope Levy explores.

754910[/snapback]

This comes after Carrucci predicted that Losman was a bust and that Holcomb would be the Bills starter. Good one, Vic.

PTR

How many more years in the NFL does Davie need before he's given a "fair shot" ??  He's had plenty of time, he just doesn't get it. He's another good athlete who doesn't have the head for the game. See : Rob Johnson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, etc etc. The NFL is riddled with great athletes with no brain. Unfortunately for them, the QB position requires some ability to think and make decisions quickly.

RTB

755073[/snapback]

I think the interesting thing is that a brain dead QB that you name RJ has an SB ring. I think he is more injury prone than brain dead and that though he deserves the ring he got as a reserve in good standing on the team that won it he did nothing beyond being a practice guy to help get them there.

However, when you also factor in that Wright is generally considered not starting talent at all, but a reasonsonable back-up for a likely playoff team and that the cleaely brain challenged Bledsoe was an essential part of an SB winner it may be that under the specific right but not rare circumstances being a brain dead QB is OK for a back-up on an SB winner.

Well, the Bills and any potential trade partner hope so.

I think the interesting thing is that a brain dead QB that you name RJ has an SB ring.  I think he is more injury prone than brain dead and that though he deserves the ring he got as a reserve in good standing on the team that won it he did nothing beyond being a practice guy to help get them there.

However, when you also factor in that Wright is generally considered not starting talent at all, but a reasonsonable back-up for a likely playoff team and that the cleaely brain challenged Bledsoe was an essential part of an SB winner it may be that under the specific right but not rare circumstances being a brain dead QB is OK for a back-up on an SB winner.

Well, the Bills and any potential trade partner hope so.

755173[/snapback]

What makes you say that Bledsoe is brain challenged?

What makes you say that Bledsoe is brain challenged?

755202[/snapback]

I think Bledsoe was capable of at least leading a team to the SB as he proved to be under the guidance of Parcells in the early 90s. He also proved capable of playing an essential role for the NE Pats in the 2001 season in their successful SB run (though Tom Brady proved to be the player capable of playing QB successfully for this team for the most part, DB did throw the winning TD pass in a must win game for them and they got the ring because of his actions so though Brady clearly deserves the lionshare of the QB credit Bledsoe did play an essential role when called upon),

However, that being said, the great skills that Bledsoe borught (and still can bring successfully IMHO with the specific right situation and the right guidance of the team which he never had in Buffalo and thus he could not be successful here) to the table were his rocket arm, good ball handling skills, and a tremendous amount of experience.

However, the mental challenge which Bledsoe has IMHO is that though his large amount of experience allows him to read specific match-ups well (as seen in him hitting some nice bombs to Evans and Moulds on trick plays which buffaloed the coverage) and pull off designed plays like the fake QB sneak where he pitched it out to WM, he seems to have trouble when the play calls for him to think quickly or figure things out at the LOS.

His difficulty figuring things out and making the right move in a game is seen in examples like the play in the a Bills game on 4th down as we drove downfield in the final seconds of the game where he was under duress and simply through the ball out of bounds. Yeah we did not risk the loss, but we turned the ball over on downs and the game was lost. You could almost hear Bledsoe emit a Homer Simpson like DD,OOHHH when he realized what the had down bv dumping the ball OB and slapped his head.

One could also see his difficulty figuring things out on the fly when BB ripped him a new one first time we played the Pats with Bledsoe at QB by having his D come to the OL standing up and failing to get in a stance or show a scheme. I consider it a mental challenge to Bledsoe that without a defensive scheme to react to, he simply got confused and the Bills got hit with delay penalties and Bledsoe could not run the offense.

Ironically, I think Bledsoe would be a great QB coach because he has the ability to understand what happened on a play and the experience to diagnosis the appropriate response given time. Tom Brady has spoken a couple of time about how valuable it was to him to have Bledsoe as a sounding board to talk to and take apart and improve his play.

However, Bledsoe has shown no ability to do this design and reaction on the spot as the play unfolds. One of TC's good moves when he took over the O from Kevin Killdrive as to "simplify" the audible scheme by essentially taking away some of Bledsoe's options to call plays. Bledsoe had (s) such supreme confidence in his rocket arm that the Bills ended up running on some incredible number of 3rd and 2 or less plays in 2003 as pass-happy Killdrive called too many passes and apparently when he would occaisionally call a run Bledsoe would audible to a pass he was sure he could make.

I would not classify him as brain dead, but I would say his great confidence in his arm and his slow thinking was a mental challenge for him.

The funny part about footbll is I think there is a fair chance that he made lead a team to the playoffs this year even with his mental challenges because Parcells is ultimately in charge and its a TEAM game.

The game has significantly speeded up in the last 10 years. It is no longer a game of 7 step drops, its a 3-5 step drop game. I think had Blew Dredsloe been around about 6 or 7 years earlier than he was, we'd be thinking of him in the same category as Marino, Elway, and Kelly because the game was played at a speed where he could read the defenses and react. I think defenses at the time were more reactive than attacking like they are now. You need a QB now who can read the D and know where to go with the ball in 3-5 steps. That's not very much time at all and you have to have a functioning cortex to do it consistantly. Well, a functioning football cortex anyway, I don't think you need to be a scholar.

RTB

Oh, and Pyrite - I liked RJ but it became obvious that he didn't know where to go with the ball. Even when he had time he hung onto that ball too long - thats indecision when it happens as often as it did with him. The last guy to make Tampa Bay's roster during their SB win got a ring too, it doesn't mean he had anything to do with it.

How many more years in the NFL does Davie need before he's given a "fair shot" ??  He's had plenty of time, he just doesn't get it. He's another good athlete who doesn't have the head for the game. See : Rob Johnson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, etc etc. The NFL is riddled with great athletes with no brain. Unfortunately for them, the QB position requires some ability to think and make decisions quickly.

RTB

755073[/snapback]

Is that the same A. Wright who toasted our first string D the other week at home?

I'm glad that you posted this! I have always liked Davie and thought that he would be a good fit for Buffalo. When he was drafted by NE I was very dissapointed. I'm sure that given the right shot, he could be a good QB.

Jeff

755064[/snapback]

It's funny I think the last Bills regime had davey in here for a workout mid-season last year after he was cut by the Pats.

I actully played against Davy in the playoffs my soph. year in high school. He torched us pretty good in the first half, but we shut him down on the 2nd. ended up loosing by 2 on a bu-- sh-- call. I remember watching film the week of the game and one play he was being chased rolled out the opposite way and threw a 50 yard bomb to the WR in stride, it was pretty impressive. I remember the coach rewinding the play over and over. I like his size and mobility, supposedly his knock is he isnt that smart. But he is a great athlete, also a 2 sport star at LSU.