Time Warner Fights Back

ACor58

It also depends on how you look at the NFL network, which has only been in existence about two years or so. It doesn't have nearly the numbers that a lot of the established cable networks have, so on one hand you can honestly say that it isn't worth it to the cable companies. On the other hand, the ascension of the NFL network has been meteoric in its short existence, especially considering the miniscule number of homes it originally reached. As well as getting one of the most sought after contracts in all of television: Live exclusive prime time NFL games. So you could honestly say that anyone claiming it's not getting viewers of other stations is quite disingenuous.

755899[/snapback]

Of course, the NFL didn't really *get* one of the msot sought after contracts in all of television. The NFL kept that contract for itself and its wholly-owned subsidiary.

I wonder just how far the NFL will go with its monopoly pricing on this. I'd strongly suspect that the NFL fully intends to turn the NFL Network into a loss leader for the cable companies....

JDG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, the NFL didn't really *get* one of the msot sought after contracts in all of television.  The NFL kept that contract for itself and its wholly-owned subsidiary.

I wonder just how far the NFL will go with its monopoly pricing on this.  I'd strongly suspect that the NFL fully intends to turn the NFL Network into a loss leader for the cable companies....

JDG

755927[/snapback]

Well I think they paid about 600 million for the rights, and it goes to the owners in the same percentages that all of the other network contracts do.

Well I think they paid about 600 million for the rights, and it goes to the owners in the same percentages that all of the other network contracts do.

755938[/snapback]

And where exactly did they get that $600 million from?

They might as well have paid $1 billion......

And where exactly did they get that $600 million from?

They might as well have paid $1 billion......

755945[/snapback]

What exactly do you want them to do? Pay less? Pay more? Or are you just bitching about it just to B word like normal? It seems like a fair price to pay for what it is, compared to, say, the Sunday Night package that NBC has. It puts more national games on the air, on nights previously without football, that I can watch because they're not opposite the Bills games. That makes me happy. Don't know about you.

The difference is that DirecTV actually listens to you when you call with an issue/complaint.

754456[/snapback]

Now, I know you are a crusader for Direct TV, which is fine, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about DirecTV's customer service...for as long as I have known of DirecTV...even very recently.....

Now, I have my problems with Time Warner, namely that I can't get the NFL Network, but customer service has always been top notch...they have always been good about correcting any problems...I hear two people in my office, who have DirectTV, complain about the incompetant service people from DirecTV pretty regularly....

Frankly, I don't see a marked improvement in picture quality over digitable cable either...as I see it, the only reason to have DirecTV, for me, would be to get the Sunday Ticket...

What exactly do you want them to do? Pay less? Pay more? Or are you just bitching about it just to B word like normal? It seems like a fair price to pay for what it is, compared to, say, the Sunday Night package that NBC has. It puts more national games on the air, on nights previously without football, that I can watch because they're not opposite the Bills games. That makes me happy. Don't know about you.

755949[/snapback]

I'm just pointing out that whatever amount they paid, it was essentially just an accounting convenience.

JDG

Fans could get the NFL Network on Time Warner if the NFL would agree to let Time Warner price the NFL Network to the small segment of cable subscribers that want it, rather than requiring Time Warner to charge the 90% of cable subscribers who don't want the NFL Network for getting the NFL Network. Basically, this is a ploy by the NFL to try and charge people for not watching the NFL games.

A pretty sick deal if you ask me.

Umm , yeah..right. Good thing they don't charge the 90% of us who watch EWTN, you know ..us evangelical christians. Glad I don't have to pay for that "religious tier" they've been talking about. And that freakin ethnic tier that's been proposed, you know .. BET, Telemundo. Man, it's great that TW knows where its bread is buttered and won't tick off folks by charging extra for the good stuff. Just the stuff no one watches, like..the NFL or instance. I mean, it's like these NFL people actually belive their programming could beat out mother angelica or reruns of my wife and kids. The nerve of those idiots. Oh well, end of rant. Guess I'll go turn on a couple of great shopping channels that I don't pay "extra"for. :D

What I want and I don't know why the NFL hasn't done it already is PPV games. I'd gladly pay $12 - $15 per view to see the Bills when the locals are broadcasting the godawful Jets or the automatic Giants on Fox(Albany area). It's coming, make it happen.

What I want and I don't know why the NFL hasn't done it already is PPV games.  I'd gladly pay $12 - $15 per view to see the Bills when the locals are broadcasting the godawful Jets or the automatic Giants on Fox(Albany area).  It's coming, make it happen.

756605[/snapback]

The existence of pay-per-view games would immediately diminish ratings for the network games. Someone in the NFL Front Office surely has an analysis of whether the pay per view revenue would offset the diminished network broadcast fees.

JDG

The existence of pay-per-view games would immediately diminish ratings for the network games.    Someone in the NFL Front Office surely has an analysis of whether the pay per view revenue would offset the diminished network broadcast fees.

JDG

756623[/snapback]

Oh, I agree. However, I highly doubt losing a .00001 rating point isn't more than offset by a lucrative hard $15(or a good share of it). No way they would lose money. They just haven't figured out how to do it contractually or otherwise, yet.

What I want and I don't know why the NFL hasn't done it already is PPV games.  I'd gladly pay $12 - $15 per view to see the Bills when the locals are broadcasting the godawful Jets or the automatic Giants on Fox(Albany area).  It's coming, make it happen.

Actually, DirecTV has pay-per-view; it's like $20-$25/week though (which is a ripoff, compared to Sunday Ticket in general...)

Another question for Fezmid:

I want to get DirectTV as well, but my girlfriend refuses to give up Howard OnDemand. Any chance DirectTV will offer something similar?

756004[/snapback]

I don't know what Howard OnDemand is... If you have a DVR though, you can setup a wishlist/season pass to record whatever you want and always have as many "Howard" as you want. Personally, I think OnDemand is rather lame and a DVR is much better, but some people seem to like it.

Remember, I appreciate being a referral if you do decide to sign up :devil:

CW

Now, I know you are a crusader for Direct TV, which is fine, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about DirecTV's customer service...for as long as I have known of DirecTV...even very recently.....

Now, I have my problems with Time Warner, namely that I can't get the NFL Network, but customer service has always been top notch...they have always been good about correcting any problems...I hear two people in my office, who have DirectTV, complain about the incompetant service people from DirecTV pretty regularly....

Frankly, I don't see a marked improvement in picture quality over digitable cable either...as I see it, the only reason to have DirecTV, for me, would be to get the Sunday Ticket...

755976[/snapback]

You're always going to have some horror stories, no matter the company. However keep in mind that DirecTV has been #1 in customer satisfaction for a LONG time:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secon...assetId=1100052

Remember the key is, if you don't get what you want from frontline support, ask for "Customer Retention." Cable companies don't seem to have anything like that (I tried with my internet service issue with Comcast).

CW

I don't know what Howard OnDemand is...  If you have a DVR though, you can setup a wishlist/season pass to record whatever you want and always have as many "Howard" as you want.  Personally, I think OnDemand is rather lame and a DVR is much better, but some people seem to like it.

Remember, I appreciate being a referral if you do decide to sign up :devil:

CW

756647[/snapback]

Howard OnDemand is Stern's old and new shows uncensored to watch at any time at the press of a button ie I don't have to wait for it to air and keep it on my DVR's hard drive and rewatch later as it's housed on a cable server. Yet I agree that DVR is great too but that's why I have both OnDemand AND a DVR with my cable and quite happy.

Oh, I agree.  However, I highly doubt losing a .00001 rating point isn't more than offset by a lucrative hard $15(or a good share of it).  No way they would lose money.  They just haven't figured out how to do it contractually or otherwise, yet.

756629[/snapback]

There's also the matter of the public outcry, especially as people would worry that home-market games might eventually leave the networks entirely for pay-per-view.

JDG

Howard OnDemand is Stern's old and new shows uncensored to watch at any time at the press of a button ie I don't have to wait for it to air and keep it on my DVR's hard drive and rewatch later as it's housed on a cable server. Yet I agree that DVR is great too but that's why I have both OnDemand AND a DVR with my cable and quite happy.

756663[/snapback]

I still don't see the big deal... I have 150 hours on my TiVo (and the one in my basement can record 250 hours of SD programming...), is it that big a deal to record something that I know I want? :devil:

DirecTV had Stars on Demand for awhile, but nobody used it so they killed it after a few months. I guess Sat people don't care about On Demand. *shrug*

There's also the matter of the public outcry, especially as people would worry that home-market games might eventually leave the networks entirely for pay-per-view.

JDG

756674[/snapback]

The future just flashed before you.