Aaron Gibson - how is he doing?

Nevermind, I was wrong he did run a 4.9 but check out this tidbid from an article on the 2004 NFL combine from NFL.com.

TIGHT ENDS

In 1983, the Bills had two first-round picks and selected Tony Hunter, a tight end from Notre Dame, ahead of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly. Hunter was conisdered the biggest tight end in the draft, weighing in at 6-2½ and 223 pounds. This year, 19 tight ends were invited to the combine -- only one was under 6-2 and only three weighed less than 250 pounds. Twelve were over 6-4 and 13 tipped the scales at more than 260 pounds.

Jason Peters of Arkansas weighed 336 pounds and ran 4.9. Peters thinks he will end up as a tackle in the NFL and many people think he may be the best tackle in the draft. Georgia's Ben Watson weighed 258 pounds and lifted 225 pounds a total of 33 times. He ran a 4.53 in the 40. Watson and Ohio State's Ben Hartsock probably helped themselves the most. Since 1994, the highest a tight end has been selected in the draft was ninth overall -- Kyle Brady (Jets) and Rickey Dudley (Raiders). I think Kellen Winslow of Miami (Fla.) will be selected higher than that. The best way to describe this group is big and fast with lots of potential.

NFL combine story

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gibson cannot beat out a converted TE for the RT position, he does not belong on this team.  I doubt Jauron brought him in to backup Peters.  I  think he had intended to get a real RT, and not we are stuck with a TE who got moved into the RT position out of the lack of depth.

751469[/snapback]

And Babe Ruth should have stayed a pitcher, since as one he certainly wasn't a "real" hitter.

If Gibson cannot beat out a converted TE for the RT position, he does not belong on this team.  I doubt Jauron brought him in to backup Peters.  I  think he had intended to get a real RT, and not we are stuck with a TE who got moved into the RT position out of the lack of depth.

751469[/snapback]

Not exactly sure why Gibson was brought in. However I hate to admit, but Peters has been terrible in the preseason, and more than just against Peppers. I understand that he is relatively new but it is his third year. He has to show something. Right now he has digressed tremendously from last year and last year he wasn't that hot, just adequate. Which for us meant he was one of our best. He has been beaten with speed, power and moves. So it isn't just footwork killing him, he has been almost non-chalant IMHO. Not sure what it is, but it seems like he almost doesn't care at times.

Wrong twice...three times a charm?  Thought the Bills converted him...but now that I think about it, you are correct, because I was pissed that TD used a 4th overall on a RT....yikes...old age

751535[/snapback]

Your confusion has some merit. MW played RT for a left-handed QB, so the thought process was that since he protected the QB's blind side, he could handle the back protection in the NFL as well.

Not exactly sure why Gibson was brought in.  However I hate to admit, but Peters has been terrible in the preseason, and more than just against Peppers.  I understand that he is relatively new but it is his third year.  He has to show something.  Right now he has digressed tremendously from last year and last year he wasn't that hot, just adequate.  Which for us meant he was one of our best.  He has been beaten with speed, power and moves.  So it isn't just footwork killing him, he has been almost non-chalant IMHO.  Not sure what it is, but it seems like he almost doesn't care at times.

751835[/snapback]

I don't think he's played that bad, he gave up one sack to Peppers and that was about it. You couldn't stand him last year but somehow fell in love with Kelly Holcomb and Bennie Anderson and were able to convince yourself that J. Reed is the best WR on this team. The truth is Peters played great last year while Chris V. could barely manage to stay facing the right direction by the end of each play.

I am wrong....Peppers plays LDE....IMHO I think Peters is average...when the season starts we shall see. 

I am less hung up on converted TE, then he was converted from TE because the Bills lacked depth at RT last season.

I knew MW would struggle because he played LT in college and the RT was different footwork.  I think Peters does not have the pass blocking footwork.  He developed a TE mentality of run blocking footwork...that is all...we can agree to disagree.

751522[/snapback]

MW played RT in college also, his QB was left handed

Your confusion has some merit. MW played RT for a left-handed QB, so the thought process was that since he protected the QB's blind side, he could handle the back protection in the NFL as well.

MW played RT in college also, his QB was left handed

751872[/snapback]

No he played RT in college because Texas had a left handed QB.

I don't think he's played that bad, he gave up one sack to Peppers and that was about it.  You couldn't stand him last year but somehow fell in love with Kelly Holcomb and Bennie Anderson and were able to convince yourself that J. Reed is the best WR on this team.  The truth is Peters played great last year while Chris V. could barely manage to stay facing the right direction by the end of each play.

751848[/snapback]

No, what I said was is that Bennie was probably our best lineman the last 5 games of the year. I also said Peters did okay for what he was but he wasn't the all pro that every thought. He was barely adequate at best which for our line was pretty good. I agree Chris V sucks, but right now he is the best option we got at his position unless Gibson steps it up and keeps the weight off.

Last year, Holcomb was by far our best QB. Right now Losman is, however, Losman still sucks. He is still making bonehead plays, inaccurate, throws off the back foot, etc... This has been commented on by several other people including Mikes writeup from last nights camp. But that said, with Gibson weight it is unlikely he can play RT, but Peters right now has digressed from last year and absolutely sucks. Stats don't tell the whole story, and he is get beat in every aspect of the game right now by both first and second stringers.

No he played RT in college because Texas had a left handed QB.

751874[/snapback]

Actually, no. He played RT in college because Leonard Davis was on the same team and older than MW (and also a #1 pick in the NFL) and was the LT. So MW played RT for two years while Major Applewhite and other right-handers played QB. Then when Davis was drafted and the left-handed Simms became the starter they saw no reason to switch Mike Williams to LT.

No, what I said was is that Bennie was probably our best lineman the last 5 games of the year.  I also said Peters did okay for what he was but he wasn't the all pro that every thought.  He was barely adequate at best which for our line was pretty good.  I agree Chris V sucks, but right now he is the best option we got at his position unless Gibson steps it up and keeps the weight off. 

Last year, Holcomb was by far our best QB.  Right now Losman is, however, Losman still sucks.  He is still making bonehead plays, inaccurate, throws off the back foot, etc...  This has been commented on by several other people including Mikes writeup from last nights camp.  But that said, with Gibson weight it is unlikely he can play RT, but Peters right now has digressed from last year and absolutely sucks.  Stats don't tell the whole story, and he is get beat in every aspect of the game right now by both first and second stringers.

751875[/snapback]

Except for every single solitary report out of camp from all kinds of sources, professional and amatuer, local and national, has said that Peters has completely dominated this camp. And he actually played pretty decent in the first game with one glaringly lousy play, and played quite well in the second game.

I am wrong....Peppers plays LDE....IMHO I think Peters is average...when the season starts we shall see. 

I am less hung up on converted TE, then he was converted from TE because the Bills lacked depth at RT last season.

I knew MW would struggle because he played LT in college and the RT was different footwork.  I think Peters does not have the pass blocking footwork.  He developed a TE mentality of run blocking footwork...that is all...we can agree to disagree.

751522[/snapback]

Not only do I think you're wrong, you have it backwards. While I think Peters is a good run blocker, he's an even better pass blocker! You are clearly basing this on two plays vs. Peppers, because other than that, Peters has been downright dominant in pass protection, against some elite guys last season as well!

Note I have not seen the preseason games, basing this on last year and the reports that have all been raving about Peters.

Actually, no. He played RT in college because Leonard Davis was on the same team and older than MW (and also a #1 pick in the NFL) and was the LT. So MW played RT for two years while Major Applewhite and other right-handers played QB. Then when Davis was drafted and the left-handed Simms became the starter they saw no reason to switch Mike Williams to LT.

751896[/snapback]

I was just being a smart ass

Except for every single solitary report out of camp from all kinds of sources, professional and amatuer, local and national, has said that Peters has completely dominated this camp. And he actually played pretty decent in the first game with one glaringly lousy play, and played quite well in the second game.

751899[/snapback]

Bingo

I hate to admit, but Peters has been terrible in the preseason, and more than just against Peppers. I understand that he is relatively new but it is his third year. He has to show something. Right now he has digressed tremendously from last year and last year he wasn't that hot, just adequate. Which for us meant he was one of our best. He has been beaten with speed, power and moves. So it isn't just footwork killing him, he has been almost non-chalant IMHO. Not sure what it is, but it seems like he almost doesn't care at times.

You'll have to forgive us if we don't put toooooo much stock in the OLine analysis of a guy who posted a video of Bennie Anderson failing to move his guy a single inch off the LOS on a dive over his hole, then raved about what a great example it was of Anderson's stellar play. :P

751899[/snapback]

I seem to remember a lot of those reports on Losmna as well last year. How did that work out. He was worse than terrible, but even I admitted he should have started the whole year even if Holcomb was better.

Peters was actually being developed at LT prior to partway through last season, and was moved to RT after Williams got hurt and proved to be a bust, not to mention after Gandy proved to be a solid but unspectacular LT.

And as for Peters' ability, I'll wait until the real season starts, when they start watching game film and gameplanning for opponents. Not that I think he played poorly this pre-season (while Bennie Anderson has looked like garbage).

I seem to remember a lot of those reports on Losmna as well last year.  How did that work out.  He was worse than terrible, but even I admitted he should have started the whole year even if Holcomb was better.

751936[/snapback]

No, I don't think there were any reports whatsoever that Losman was "dominating camp". And surely nothing even remotely close to what we have been seeing on a daily basis about Peters.

I seem to remember a lot of those reports on Losmna as well last year.  How did that work out.  He was worse than terrible, but even I admitted he should have started the whole year even if Holcomb was better.

751936[/snapback]

Reports that losman DOMINATED the camp? I didn't hear anything like that last year

Reports that losman DOMINATED the camp?  I didn't hear anything like that last year

751962[/snapback]

I like the logic though. Since one guy at a different position was supposed to have a great camp (which he didn't but that's besides the point), another guy that has dominated camp will probably also be terrible. Follows suit, huh? It's almost a curse to play well. You're much better off playing crappy in camp because if you dominate, you're doomed to fail. After all, one guy last year did. :P

I like the logic though. Since one guy at a different position was supposed to have a great camp (which he didn't but that's besides the point), another guy that has dominated camp will probably also be terrible. Follows suit, huh? It's almost a curse to play well. You're much better off playing crappy in camp because if you dominate, you're doomed to fail. After all, one guy last year did.  ;)

751971[/snapback]

That's right up there with one of my favourites.....

"It's so unbelievable it must be true."

To some, the opposite of what 'everyone' thinks/is saying, is the real truth.....just because. :w00t: