Career Advice Needed

mtdoak

For all you people who have been around awhile:

I currently hate my job. Its phone tech support in a call center, supporting recycling yards and software which is not used anywhere else outside of this company. It pays well for me, I have no college degree (i went to school for engineering for 5 years and never graduated), no certifications, but have 4 years tech support experience under my belt. Its basically a dead end job with no real room for upward mobility. I live in Ann Arbor MI and have really no reason to stay in this area, except for one good friend who lives 30 minutes away. In case you haven't been paying attention, the greater Detroit area is going downhill fast. I'm 24 years old and would like to get a degree eventually. I may have an oppurtunity to work for a company who was named "best IT company to work for " (Quicken Loans), but its in Livonia, MI, basically keeping me in the same area which is going to the crapper quick.

Should I

A) Pursue a better job with my current experience in the same area

B) Pursue a better job with my current experience in a better area/growing market?

C) Keep my current job, get some certifications/a degree, then go after an even better job in a better market?

I currently hate my job.  Its phone tech support in a call center, supporting recycling yards and software which is not used anywhere else outside of this company.  It pays well for me, I have no college degree (i went to school for engineering for 5 years and never graduated), no certifications, but have 4 years tech support experience under my belt.  Its basically a dead end job with no real room for upward mobility.  I live in Ann Arbor MI and have really no reason to stay in this area, except for one good friend who lives 30 minutes away.  In case you haven't been paying attention, the greater Detroit area is going downhill fast.  I'm 24 years old and would like to get a degree eventually.  I may have an oppurtunity to work for a company who was named "best IT company to work for " (Quicken Loans), but its in Livonia, MI, basically keeping me in the same area which is going to the crapper quick.

Should I

B) Pursue a better job with my current experience in a better area/growing market?

C) Keep my current job, get some certifications/a degree, then go after an even better job in a better market?

750776[/snapback]

D) Drink and B word, like any true American. :lol:

I currently hate my job.  Its phone tech support in a call center, supporting recycling yards and software which is not used anywhere else outside of this company.  It pays well for me, I have no college degree (i went to school for engineering for 5 years and never graduated), no certifications, but have 4 years tech support experience under my belt.  Its basically a dead end job with no real room for upward mobility.  I live in Ann Arbor MI and have really no reason to stay in this area, except for one good friend who lives 30 minutes away.  In case you haven't been paying attention, the greater Detroit area is going downhill fast.  I'm 24 years old and would like to get a degree eventually.  I may have an oppurtunity to work for a company who was named "best IT company to work for " (Quicken Loans), but its in Livonia, MI, basically keeping me in the same area which is going to the crapper quick.

Should I

750776[/snapback]

C

C -- except I'd qualify that by saying don't get a certificate, get your degree since you're so close. Lots of places won't even look at you without a degree. A certification just means you were able to pay money to pass a test, and most places (in IT, in the Twin Cities at least) don't give a crap about certs.

C:) Finish your degree! See if your current employer provides education assistance. If not, then check with Quicken Loans to see if they will provide you with financial assistance to finish your degree. Once you get that paper in hand then you will be able to make that move to a better job and area.

Good Luck!

Should I

750776[/snapback]

None of the above.

You're 24 years old, so you've still got time...unlike a lot of these other slobs ( :lol: ). Move to a better, major city. You don't have a degree, but you can easily get a tech support job through a temp/contract agency. Go back to school and pick a career. Work the temp/contract job while you're in school. I was a bit older than you cooking in restaurants here in Boston (Loserville, USA) and worked enough hours at a liquor store to supplement my student loans, and to pay rent and eat while going back to school (the 30% discount on beer didn't hurt any, either). It can be done.

Get the degree man. It will be tough, but the time will fly by, you'll be done before you know it.

PS- and stop asking for career advise from a bunch of guys who have jobs that allow them to post on a Buffalo Bills message board all day.

PS- and stop asking for career advise from a bunch of guys who have jobs that allow them to post on a Buffalo Bills message board all day.

750829[/snapback]

Why? IT is a pretty lucrative career track. :lol:

(until you get outsourced to India... :D )

CW

Get the degree man. It will be tough, but the time will fly by, you'll be done before you know it.

750829[/snapback]

I wouldn't take career advise from someone who cannot spell "advice". :lol:

C.  It is far easier to find a job (or better) job when you are employed, rather than finding a job when unemployed.  The stress and pressure are factors different.  Get the degree!

BTW, isn't Google moving part of its headquarters to MI?

750845[/snapback]

To Ann Arbor, MI, to be exact. Ann Arbor is a small city thats growing, but the greater Detroit area is dying a slow painful death.

As far as my degree goes, I could finish it within a year if i went back to the school i did the 5 years at, probably 2 years away anywhere else.

FWIW, the school i went to= anal retentive christian school, no booze, no gambling, and no fun in general. I'm pretty sure my failure at this place is directly related to the killing of one of my major food groups, booze.