A Prediction

IF (the big if) we actually beat New England on opening day, then do you think ESPN MIGHT actually talk about us?

My guess is no. If anything, all they'll talk about is NE, in how they may not be the best team, pretty much degrading the Bills to a lower sense of self esteem. There won't be any "Is Buffalo the team to beat?" Or any of that... I don't get why ESPN doesn't show us any love...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF (the big if) we actually beat New England on opening day, then do you think ESPN MIGHT actually talk about us?

My guess is no.  If anything, all they'll talk about is NE, in how they may not be the best team, pretty much degrading the Bills to a lower sense of self esteem.  There won't be any "Is Buffalo the team to beat?" Or any of that... I don't get why ESPN doesn't show us any love...

748685[/snapback]

actually they did pretty much what you described when they beat NE at home Game 1 a few years ago. They did talk about us, but it was more of "what's wrong with NE?" We were mentioned as the team to beat, and I think I remember Salsbury saying he was sold. HAHA! what an idiot!

actually they did pretty much what you described when they beat NE at home Game 1 a few years ago. They did talk about us, but it was more of "what's wrong with NE?" We were mentioned as the team to beat, and I think I remember Salsbury saying he was sold. HAHA! what an idiot!

748689[/snapback]

Salsbury was all over us those first two weeks....even picked us for Super Bowl. And people wonder why nobody in the media backs the Bills.

748689[/snapback]

I remember Sam Adams on the cover of SI after that game. In reality, if you go back and watch that game, we kind sucked. It just so happened that NE sucked more. And everyone put that win more on the fact that we picked up Milloy and the Pats were messed up moreso than "the Bills beat them outright."

I think we can beat them in the opener as well, but only because our entire system is so new, they will have little film on us so we could theoretically slip by them. Will it happen? Probably not. But if we're going to beat them in their own house, our best shot is to go in like we are: undocumented.

I remember Sam Adams on the cover of SI after that game. In reality, if you go back and watch that game, we kind sucked. It just so happened that NE sucked more. And everyone put that win more on the fact that we picked up Milloy and the Pats were messed up moreso than "the Bills beat them outright."

I think we can beat them in the opener as well, but only because our entire system is so new, they will have little film on us so we could theoretically slip by them. Will it happen? Probably not. But if we're going to beat them in their own house, our best shot is to go in like we are: undocumented.

748699[/snapback]

nicely put

Does anyone really think we are going to win in New England on opening day?

748690[/snapback]

Of course. I don't think we should be favored and I don't think you should put money you can't afford to lose on the game (but this last part is true for most games), but I expect the Bills to go in and pull of a surprise by playing a quality game against a team that isn't perfect. Holcomb was one play away from beating them last year, and I think this team is better and theirs is worse.

For the original post, yes, ESPN will talk about us if we beat the Patriots, but I would prefer they didn't, and who cares really. I don't mind being under the radar with the national media until we prove something consistently over a number of weeks. It's not like they are going to change the MNF schedule and put us in, so I'm not really after hearing Michael Irvin say "Lee Evans is the man!" right before week 2 kicks off.

748690[/snapback]

i don't think we're going to beat NE. I KNOW we're going to beat NE. This is the start of something special. To quote darryl talley, "this is a team, damn it!"

Sure we can beat them for all the reasons already stated. The only thing I would add is IF (not as big an if as it might seem) we run the ball well, we can wear down their D. None of those guys are spring chickens. The X factor is TKO: will he come in too hyped up? will he come in flat and/or careful? Or, will he come in calm and lethal? Brady is in for it if Crowell, TKO and Whitner/Bowen can get in there on blitzes because they have many more questions at WR than we do. That will only happen if we stop their run. I was a lot more worried about that last month than I am now. So, there is a lot of ifs but isn't that true of every game for every team now?

As far as ESPN goes, I am with the 'who cares' crowd. The last thing JP needs is a spotlight right now - let him make noise with plays - not because of Michael Irvin.

Any success Buffalo has had the last decade has lasted about two seconds. I don't understand what people expect the media to do. The Bruschi ball washing last year was rather pathetic, but this obsessive outlook so many have about being disrespected is more fabrication then reality.

When we had something going for us in the early 90's, and when Flutie was around the national media was all over us. The Bills were on national TV with Patriot like frequency. The year we crushed New England for the opener, many at ESPN were calling us the best team in football. By week 2 we reached #2 in the power rankings. By the time reality set in thousands of Bills fans were left devastated. What we look like is a team that has posted one of the worst records in football the last 5 years. That has a brand new offense, defense, and an unproven QB.

Respect will come when we earn it.

748690[/snapback]

Does anyone still consider New England a top-tier team? They have lost a lot of talent the past couple years, and while sweatshirt Bill has led his team to overcome a lot, they don't scare me the way they once did. I think they're very vulnerable and are a 1st round playoff loser this year.

The Bills could surprise them in 1 of the 2 games.