Saturday's game

BobbyC81

I don't know how much this has been discussed here but I couldn't believe in Saturday's game that a team that hasn't been winning in the last couple of seasons plays the guy they now say is the front-runner for the starting QB job for most of the game then pulls him with 3 minutes left and a chance to win the game in favor of a guy who isn't going to make the team. I know this is only a pre-season game but you should play to win. Nothing helps a team's confidence more than winning games. Imagine what it could've done for Losman and this team had he led them down to win the game.

I've watched the Forty-Niners for 25 seasons now. They always play to win. In a preseason game where they may be playing the 3rd-stringers, they're still out there trying to win the game and they have. I've seen the rest of the team going nuts on the sidelines pulling for the players that are in.

Despite the Niners record the last couple of seasons, I guess that shows the difference between a winning organization and a losing one.

It's preseason. Wins don't matter in preseason. When Marv was coach, the Bills won maybe 10 preseason games out of 45 or so games. Bills are 50 games under .500 in the preseason in their history. What was the Bills preseason record last year? How about any year in the last 10? I bet you can tell me their regular season record for any given year.

I don't know how much this has been discussed here but I couldn't believe in Saturday's game that a team that hasn't been winning in the last couple of seasons plays the guy they now say is the front-runner for the starting QB job for most of the game then pulls him with 3 minutes left and a chance to win the game in favor of a guy who isn't going to make the team.  I know this is only a pre-season game but you should play to win.  Nothing helps a team's confidence more than winning games.  Imagine what it could've done for Losman and this team had he led them down to win the game.

I've watched the Forty-Niners for 25 seasons now. They always play to win.  In a preseason game where they may be playing the 3rd-stringers,  they're still out there trying to win the game and they have.  I've seen the rest of the team going nuts on the sidelines pulling for the players that are in.

Despite the Niners record the last couple of seasons, I guess that shows the difference between a winning organization and a losing one.

744191[/snapback]

In (most) regular season games, the one goal for playing is to WIN. In pre season, there are numerous reasons for playing the game, only one of them is to win. Going by the 'play to win' logic, we should play all of the starters throughout the entire match using our best strategies etc, etc, etc.

Winning is quite a bit down the list during pre-season games.

maybe coach jauron didnt want the players feeling like they had some great accomplishment knowing full well it was our scrubs against their scrubs.i think he wants the players hungry and still in learning mode...if the players think they are hot stuff after the 1st preseason game they may not try as hard as they should be.

I think he want to see Kliff in action, If Kliff can play KH is out.

744307[/snapback]

I agree, but at the same time I wonder if keeping JP in there and pulling off a win (even a FG), might have strengthened some of the player's winning "mind sets".

It's a coin toss.

If JP was injured on that last drive, everyone would be screaming for Jauron's head! :rolleyes:

Playing to win raises a lot of questions, but what I always wonder is why they don't go for 2 after every touchdown in the preseason. Your standard PAT play doesn't require too much practice in live competition, but a few looks in preseason could help out that play. Ditto punting/kicking field goals in 4th and 1, 4th and 2, hell, 4th and 4 situations. The punt team needs some work, but what about the fourth down converters?

I liked Juron's quote to JP when KK went into the game. He told JP he had his chance to win the game a series earlier, but he missed his receiver. Good for JP to want to finish out the game, good for Juron to point out that he had plenty of opportunities to win the game.

I liked Juron's quote to JP when KK went into the game.  He told JP he had his chance to win the game a series earlier, but he missed his receiver.  Good for JP to want to finish out the game, good for Juron to point out that he had plenty of opportunities to win the game.

744470[/snapback]

Yeah I liked that too - give JP something to think about - keep him hungry - let him know that he has to complete those in the regular season.