The Redskins

Redskins | Team close to signing Posey

Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:06:04 -0700

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins are close to signing free agent LB Jeff Posey (Bills). He played for Redskins' assistant coaches Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and Danny Smith in Buffalo.

Okay, so let me get this straight. Gregg Williams is known as a great DC, although not a great HC. He's the highest paid assistant ever. Jeff Posey stinks. But Gregg Williams wants Jeff Posey to play for him on defense again, after watching him for three years up close.

743716[/snapback]

That's done turned into the Washington way. Every year that Snyder has been there just hasn't worked for them in one way or another. You can't buy a great team, a great team has to come together no matter who's coaching them. Posey will probably end up contributing there, but nothing great of course.

Okay, so let me get this straight. Gregg Williams is known as a great DC, although not a great HC. He's the highest paid assistant ever. Jeff Posey stinks. But Gregg Williams wants Jeff Posey to play for him on defense again, after watching him for three years up close.

743716[/snapback]

Personally, I never thought Posey stunk, he just didn't fit well in our system. If he gets back to a 3-4 defense I believe he will thrive. Jauron even said it was hard to let him go because he was a skilled athlete but did not fit the scheme.

Personally, I never thought Posey stunk, he just didn't fit well in our system.  If he gets back to a 3-4 defense I believe he will thrive.  Jauron even said it was hard to let him go because he was a skilled athlete but did not fit the scheme.

743748[/snapback]

I generally agree. Folks who have insisted that Posey stunk in 03 and 04 have simply not been able to offer more than their fact-opinions that this was true. Given that the facts were that he logged a chunk of time in two very productive Bills Ds, those two years, it is likely that opinions that Posey sucked these two years were simply incorrect.

05 is a different story however, in that Posey still logged a bunch of time but in a D which was not productive. The anecdotal stuff I noted is that Posey seemed to get to the QB a little too late to make a difference for us and get a sack. Both the objective facts and the anecdotal take indicate a problem for Posey. This is further reinforced by the Bills braintrust deciding to let him go.

There are explanations for these three problems which can explain them with Posey still being productive:

1. The D did suck overall so perhaps it was not all or mostly his fault.

2. He never was utilized by the Bills as you point out in the manner he was used in a 3-4 his most productive year.

3. We let him go more because we had better players at LB (an up and coming Crowell, a recovered TKO, Watson who recovered a fumble this weekend) rather than Posey hitting the wall.

However, Posey is on the backside of his career pretty clearly and he has logged a lot of minutes for us starting 16 games all three years he was here. My sense is that a judgment that Posey has always sucked is simply a non-nuanced view which is not supported by the fact in 03, 04 and 05.

However, the facts do show a downturn in team productivity and it is more likely than not that GW/Gray are acting the same way in DC which saw them foolishly rely on eddie Robinson as a Bill.

The Posey release for me was reminiscent of when Greggo cut Holecek because he didn't fit the system. Jauron reminds me alot of Greggo. Only difference is he isn't saying things like: "We're going to take a run at the sack record this year". Why do we have to play a Tampa 2. What would be wrong with a regular 4-3. Good coaches addapt the system to the players. Like when Wade switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to get Cowart on the field. Why don't we play a west coast offense? It won SBs for the Niners, Packers and Broncos. If one were to make the case that the we are playing this defense because it has been successful. I hope Jauron can be adaptable if it ends up that our players might be better suited to play anotyher system.

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, but I suspect the Redskins -- seeing that no one was jumping quickly to hire him -- decided to bide there time to help Posey's numbers drop a bit. Nothing makes a player re-think his contract requirements like a phone that doesn't ring.

Why don't we play a west coast offense?

743771[/snapback]

You need a RB or two with good hands, who block well and run good patterns, a TE that is a threat, and WR's that can work the middle and come back to the play, and a QB with a fast mind and a quick forearm/wrist release.

I find the title of your thread offensive and unsympathetic to our country's Native American history and heritage.  Perhaps Ahr & Ahr & Associates can step in with some representation here...

743815[/snapback]

How bout we call Kleenex and Kleenex and get you some tissues. :(

I find the title of your thread offensive and unsympathetic to our country's Native American history and heritage.  Perhaps Ahr & Ahr & Associates can step in with some representation here...

743815[/snapback]

I just received a PM that from a well known poster that I was asked to share...

BILLSBACKERINLA,

You are engaging in line infringement. We must ask that you cease and desist from this activity immediately. Further violations could result in legal action. Thank you.

I just received a PM that from a well known poster that I was asked to share...

BILLSBACKERINLA,

You are engaging in line infringement. We must ask that you cease and desist from this activity immediately. Further violations could result in legal action. Thank you.

743837[/snapback]

Excellent! They are on the case!

You need a RB or two with good hands, who block well and run good patterns, a TE that is a threat, and WR's that can work the middle and come back to the play, and a QB with a fast mind and a quick forearm/wrist release.

743783[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic about the west coast offense. For me it makes as much sense to play the Tampa two as it would to play the West Coast Offense. Jauron seems really stubborn about playing the Tampa 2 just like Greggo was about the "46" hybrid.