Roger Goodell is New NFL Commish

Tom

Interesting story from the NFL network dude at the owners meetings. The first vote was 15 for Goodell, 13 for the league's outside counsel, Gregg Levy, and 4 for other candidates. They had three more votes and couldn't settle. And then on the fifth vote, it was 28 for Goodell, 3 for Levy and 1 abstention (guess who?). After they had enough votes to make him commissioner, they voted again and voted unanimously. :angry:

Interesting story from the NFL network dude at the owners meetings. The first vote was 15 for Goodell, 13 for the league's outside counsel, Gregg Levy, and 4 for other candidates. They had three more votes and couldn't settle. And then on the fifth vote, it was 28 for Goodell, 3 for Levy and 1 abstention (guess who?). After they had enough votes to make him commissioner, they voted again and voted unanimously.  :angry:

738668[/snapback]

Which is actually how they vote for pope... and Holy Roman Emperor.

My question is, are they going to have to replace all of those footballs that have Tagliabue's signature on them?

738673[/snapback]

It should be a good time to get an official ball at a decent price. I could use a new football.

They used the word "continuity" a lot on the ESPN report today....if that's what this guy represents, then I think it's a great choice. Though not perfect, the NFL is in great shape, and smaller market teams are able to compete relatively fairly with larger market teams on a financial level. That's one thing that really bothers me about the MLB....small markets are basically just glorified farm teams. Or, if they happen to have some nice talent come in from their farm system - a la the former Montreal Expos - those players are swept up by the larger markets with contracts that prevent smaller teams from even thinking about matching.

The salary cap is a good thing....

They used the word "continuity" a lot on the ESPN report today....if that's what this guy represents, then I think it's a great choice. Though not perfect, the NFL is in great shape, and smaller market teams are able to compete relatively fairly with larger market teams on a financial level. That's one thing that really bothers me about the MLB....small markets are basically just glorified farm teams. Or, if they happen to have some nice talent come in from their farm system - a la the former Montreal Expos - those players are swept up by the larger markets with contracts that prevent smaller teams from even thinking about matching.

The salary cap is a good thing....

Correction: the salary cap WAS a good thing when it was based on shared revenue.

Well this definitely made me smile...taken from an article that Carucci just posted on NFL.com about the new commish...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9591441

Within the next 10 years, Goodell became a larger and larger presence on the NFL's business front, especially in the area of new stadium construction and the renovation of existing facilities. I will never forget the uncertainty that preceded the 1999 renovation of Ralph Wilson Stadium, a project that went a long way toward keeping the Bills in Buffalo. I will never forget the many talks I had with Goodell as I sought to find out whether the team I covered was going to leave town. At one point, when all of the many details of the project were finally in place, Goodell assured me in a late-night phone conversation that "the Bills aren't going anywhere."

I knew those were words I could trust.

*Terminator 2-esque thumbs up for Goodell*

So then why was Ralph against him as Commish (as apparently were 16 other owners initially)?

738773[/snapback]

One cannot assume that Ralph's vote was against Goodell if he was voted for someone else. He may like Goodell and just like the other guy even more.