Borat Movie Trailer

The Dean

I want to get my hopes up, but I watched Da Ali G movie (from England) and it was the most painful movie-watching experience of my life.

I have a feeling his brilliance comes when he is in a situation where no one else is in on the joke and not in a scripted movie. Of course, I hope I'm wrong but his first movie was just awful.

Even if it sucks I'll always have the Season 1 DVD of the television show.

Borat always says "Jen-koo-yeh" which if you are Polish you know means "thank you." Of course Borat is supposed to be from Khazakstan. I'm not sure if they use the same word. (FYI: "Yak-sheh-mahsh" means "how are you" or "how you doin'" in Polish.)

Sacha Baron Cohan must have balls of pure titanium. He obviously puts himself in situations where people don't know he's kidding. Nice swim suit, by the way.

PTR

I've been borat on tbd for 2 + years and I'm pretty pumped for this movie. Not sure how it will all tie together - probably won't actually, will probably be one big tv show tied together with some loose theme.

can't wait.

I want to get my hopes up, but I watched Da Ali G movie (from England) and it was the most painful movie-watching experience of my life.

738708[/snapback]

I agree, that was an awful movie....even though I love the show...if I am not mistaken, it was made well after "Ali G" had become huge in the UK, but before he was known in the US. I have heard Cohen admitt it didn't really work as a film....

Having just spent three weeks in Kazakhstan which is becoming a major player in the Caspian oil, hydroelctric power market, and spending time in Almaty and enjoying its rich culture and heritage, I suspect the film may be perceived as rather insulting to most Kazakhs. But then we don't really need friends outside of the US so we might as well go out of our way to piss them off.

Having just spent three weeks in Kazakhstan which is becoming a major player in the Caspian oil, hydroelctric power market, and spending time in Almaty and enjoying its rich culture and heritage, I suspect the film may be perceived as rather insulting to most Kazakhs.  But then we don't really need friends outside of the US so we might as well go out of our way to piss them off.

739102[/snapback]

Tenny, Tenny, Tenny...

Don't you know how liberal thought works at this late date?

<_<

Having just spent three weeks in Kazakhstan which is becoming a major player in the Caspian oil, hydroelctric power market, and spending time in Almaty and enjoying its rich culture and heritage, I suspect the film may be perceived as rather insulting to most Kazakhs.  But then we don't really need friends outside of the US so we might as well go out of our way to piss them off.

739102[/snapback]

I hate freedom of speech too.

739102[/snapback]

Funny should be the ultimate defense (as should truth). If it's simply mean-spirited bashing, it probably won't be funny and I'd find it insulting. If it's funny, I probably won't find it insulting. (I know...I'm not a Kazakh. But, I think you get my point.)

739102[/snapback]

Borat typically pokes much more fun at Americans then he does at Kazakhs. And besides, Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G) is British, so if the Kazakhs do get mad, they can direct their anger at the U.K.

Anyways, I can't wait for this movie, it is going to be f'ing hilarious! I laughed HARD four or five different times during the one-minute trailer.

Didn't say they couldn't do it. Just remarking that there may be consequences beyond what we are expecting. But then, given our tendency to applaud shortsighted knee jerk actions that backfire to our detriment (Iraq comes to mind for some reason) I should be less than surprised.

Funny should be the ultimate defense (as should truth).  If it's simply mean-spirited bashing, it probably won't be funny and I'd find it insulting.  If it's funny, I probably won't find it insulting.  (I know...I'm not a Kazakh.  But, I think you get my point.)

739201[/snapback]

Funny as an ultimate defense? Hadn't considered it. Guess the hilarious crown of thorns thing makes the crucifixion just fine? :lol:

Funny as an ultimate defense?  Hadn't considered it.  Guess the hilarious crown of thorns thing makes the crucifixion just fine?  :lol:

739289[/snapback]

I guess I don't understand your analogy. When South Park makes fun of the crucifixtion or Jews, it is funny. Hitler's jew jokes weren't quite as entertaining.