english question

In English the color "Burgundy" (as in "the Redskins play in Burgundy and Gold") uses the english word for the french region Bourgogne. One of the best regions for wine.

In French the color burgundy is "Bordeaux", a word directly linked to a french wine region but an other one!

As i prefer Bourgogne compared to Bordeaux in wines, i'm happy the english language shares my wine tastes!

I was just wondering what is the name of that color in other languages... Do the spaniards say "Rioja" or "Burdeos", the Italian "Chianti"?!!

In English the color "Burgundy" (as in "the Redskins play in Burgundy and Gold") uses the english word for the french region Bourgogne. One of the best regions for wine.

In French the color burgundy is "Bordeaux", a word directly linked to a french wine region but an other one!

As i prefer Bourgogne compared to Bordeaux in wines, i'm happy the english language shares my wine tastes!

I was just wondering what is the name of that color in other languages... Do the spaniards say "Rioja" or "Burdeos", the Italian "Chianti"?!!

737260[/snapback]

no clue

737260[/snapback]

That color is of the ooze of congealed, atmospherically oxygenated blood an hour or two after its spillage.

Many years ago, a popular shade of shoe color was "oxblood". Same thing.

737260[/snapback]

Real men only know 5 colors. Possibly 15 if you count "dark" and "light" variations as seperate colors.

Real men only know 5 colors.  Possibly 15 if you count "dark" and "light" variations as seperate colors.

737348[/snapback]

That's the other reason this post is amusing. You can actually expand the color palette quite a bit if you allow for "-ish." Purplish-Red, for example.

They've since changed that to "cordovan" or "mahogany".  Apparently "oxblood" was too un-PC.  :)

737412[/snapback]

You beat me too it Tom!

:)

They do actually call some "burgundy."

Oh... My kid made his First Communion this year... Man is it hard to find a "penny" loafer in that small of a size... Let alone color. I was all confused because I never heard it called "burgundy" before... I had to get in a long discussion over the cell phone with my wife on what the hell they were doing with names now... She had sent me on a mission (I was in the Quad Cities for work at the time) to find the "elusive" small kids penny in "cordovan" (that color I knew)...

:(:(

Shoe styles (not just colors) are really crazy these days!

That's what i like about this forum... i have no answer to my question but i have answers to so many other questions i'd have never asked!! 

;) Thanks guys!

737888[/snapback]

You had a question? I thought you were just pouring some wine? Hmmm, missed it. Can you repeat it? :lol:

You had a question?  I thought you were just pouring some wine?  Hmmm, missed it.  Can you repeat it?   :lol:

738192[/snapback]

well the question for you Chef is do you like your Bordeaux burgundy or your Bourgogne bordeaux? :):lol:

And if the roses are red, are the rosés pink or red? ;):lol:

In South Buffalo, that color would be called Richard's Wild Irish Rose. ;)

737260[/snapback]

well the question for you Chef is do you like your Bordeaux burgundy or your Bourgogne bordeaux?  :)  :lol:

And if the roses are red, are the rosés pink or red?  ;)  :lol:

738204[/snapback]

Why would I want to drink any of that French crap? Viva 1976! :lol:

Why would I want to drink any of that French crap?  Viva 1976!  ;)

738227[/snapback]

looks like you appreciate that crap chef!

76 was great but 2003 should be even better!

he chef other question for you....

if a chef is a cook, a chief an indian, and as "chef" is french for "chief", does that mean the french indian war was a cooking contest? :lol:<_<