How do you reach for a safety

The Media builds Miami up as a contender, but they are really not. They are old on defense, their offense is questionable (one TE, an offense doesn't make) and they have no quarterback. Yup. that's what I said..no quarterback. He will lose more games than win for the Dolphins. He builds up all his stats when the game is out of reach. He is not clutch. I've seen him play a lot and he stinks as stinky goes.

But, they have a great coach! That I'll give them.  7-9 record, mark it.

736740[/snapback]

Guarantee they take two from us, and in week two ensure that we're 0-2.

I'll take any bets.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here is where the Bills of last year are a great hope and inspiration. Last year they came into the season high with the scent of victory in ther nostrils. With the exception of an abberation aginst the Steelers back ups they were REALLY strong.

736735[/snapback]

Actually, the "abberation" against the Steelers back ups was more like a f*cking disaster that proved to many, including the Bills organization apparently, that the team was not going anywhere and that the QB had to be replaced even if it meant taking steps backward. A drastic move for a team built around aging veterans, but it was clear that they had gotten fat off of a succession of teams that were horrible and/or running for the bus and that they still had zero mental toughness and heart. They then wrecked half of the foundation of their pansy pounding defense by letting Pat Williams go and not replacing him.

By contrast, the Fish finished their season by beating the playoff bound Patriots in Foxboro and then added a QB who threw 39 TD passes two years ago.

Done. That is what I meant anyway. I am betting EITHER we win one of the first two games, OR, we win the home game against the Fins.  :D

736761[/snapback]

I'll take some of that action, JSP. I'm tired of listening to the pessimistic b.s. around here. Miami is NOT a legitimate contender this season. Perhaps neither is Buffalo, but we're good enough not to be swept by the Fish.

I'm not a Crown fan, but I'll wager a fifth of Ketel One.

The Media builds Miami up as a contender, but they are really not. They are old on defense, their offense is questionable (one TE, an offense doesn't make) and they have no quarterback. Yup. that's what I said..no quarterback. He will lose more games than win for the Dolphins. He builds up all his stats when the game is out of reach. He is not clutch. I've seen him play a lot and he stinks as stinky goes.

But, they have a great coach! That I'll give them.  7-9 record, mark it.

736740[/snapback]

"One TE, an offense doesn't make"? Ronnie Brown was everything Willis is supposed to be last year, Randy McMichael is one of the top TE's in the AFC and Chris Chambers is a very good player with ability to be great now that he has a legit passer at QB.

Culpepper put up one of the top 5 seasons by a QB ALL TIME two years ago and is putting up legitimate HOF numbers, he's young and has playoff experience. He had a bad start to last year on a team in disarray, but otherwise he's been terrific. I have no idea where this misguided belief that he's going to suck comes from, it's absurd. The only question was his knee, and I'm sorry to say, his knee is apparently going to be fine.

I hope we can get the Dolphins in Buffalo late in the year more often than not, because he does have small hands and has some difficulty handling the ball in the cold, but the bottom line is he's really good and I would be psyched if JP Losman turned out to be anywhere near that good, as would ALL Bills fans, regardless of what they say about Culpepper now.

As for their defense being old, Saban is a defensive tactician, he wants vets, and he will be successful plugging and unplugging vets until he gets the young talent up front that he wants. By contrast, we just signed up for 3 more years of dumb defense that requires specific and difficult to acquire talent and fresh young legs. Not to say it's not going to happen, but it's not a very efficient approach for a quick turnaround. I'd give Perry Fewell about a 5% survival rate by year 3.

You cannot be particularly bright.

Let's get this straight... you fear JOEY HARRINGTON (the Rob Johnson clone) more than you fear Culpepper?

... yeah that's what I thought.

:D

We'll win one as long as Culpepper stays on the field. It's his back-up who I fear.

736768[/snapback]

"One TE, an offense doesn't make"?  Ronnie Brown was everything Willis is supposed to be last year, Randy McMichael is one of the top TE's in the AFC and Chris Chambers is a very good player with ability to be great now that he has a legit passer at QB.

Culpepper put up one of the top 5 seasons by a QB ALL TIME two years ago and is putting up legitimate HOF numbers, he's young and has playoff experience.  He had a bad start to last year on a team in disarray, but otherwise he's been terrific.  I have no idea where this misguided belief that he's going to suck comes from, it's absurd.  The only question was his knee, and I'm sorry to say, his knee is apparently going to be fine.

I hope we can get the Dolphins in Buffalo late in the year more often than not, because he does have small hands and has some difficulty handling the ball in the cold, but the bottom line is he's really good and I would be psyched if JP Losman turned out to be anywhere near that good, as would ALL Bills fans, regardless of what they say about Culpepper now. 

As for their defense being old, Saban is a defensive tactician, he wants vets, and he will be successful plugging and unplugging vets until he gets the young talent up front that he wants.  By contrast, we just signed up for 3 more years of dumb defense that requires specific and difficult to acquire talent and fresh young legs.  Not to say it's not going to happen, but it's not a very efficient approach for a quick turnaround.  I'd give Perry Fewell about a 5% survival rate by year 3.

736785[/snapback]

The misguided belief comes from their fans. I watched Culpepper a lot because my brother-in-law is a big Viking fan (I watch at least half their games every year). Let me tell you, he is no HOFer. You are going to be bitterly disappointed. He is a me-first player and he turns the ball over at least three times a game. He is unclutch when you need him to win a game from behind. He has stats for two reasons: Randy Moss and Cris Carter. The 15-1 season was more about them then him. The guy has no heart..do I need to go on...

You're right Chris Chambers is an outstanding WR. My bad.

Ronnie Brown, who's Ronnie Brown? You mean the guy who played next to Cadillac at Auburn?

The misguided belief comes from their fans. I watched Culpepper a lot because my brother-in-law is a big Viking fan (I watch at least half their games every year). Let me tell you, he is no HOFer. You are going to be bitterly disappointed. He is a me-first player and he turns the ball over at least three times a game. He is unclutch when you need him to win a game from behind. He has stats for two reasons: Randy Moss and Cris Carter. The 15-1 season was more about them then him.  The guy has no heart..do I need to go on...

You're right Chris Chambers is an outstanding WR. My bad.

Ronnie Brown, who's Ronnie Brown? You mean the guy who played next to Cadillac at Auburn?

736919[/snapback]

My goof...Randall was the qb that year...makes my argument even stronger. lol

By contrast, the Fish finished their season by beating the playoff bound Patriots in Foxboro and then added a QB who threw 39 TD passes two years ago.

736772[/snapback]

Ahhh, yes, they beat a NE team playing only half its starters, and its 3rd string QB, who wanted to lose so they could aviod pittsburgh in the WC round.

Also, the QB they added relied on his mobility an awful lot, not his defense reading ability. And this QB just shredded a knee last year. Your arguements hold no water, like usual.

"One TE, an offense doesn't make"?  Ronnie Brown was everything Willis is supposed to be last year,

736785[/snapback]

:D If Willis had a year like Ronnie Brown I wouldnt want him on the team. Ronnie Brown is the most overhyped rb not named Julius Jones. I'd expect a hell of a lot more out of a starting rb picked in the top 5 then 907 yards rushing. and way more then only 4 runs of 20+ yards, and 4 rushing tds.

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2005 Miami Dolphins 15 14 207 907 4.4 65 4 5 41

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2005 Miami Dolphins 15 14 32 232 7.3 38 1 3 0 12

RUSHING

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 11 284 1128 4.0 41 13 10 64

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 325 1247 3.8 27 5 4 71

RECEIVING

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 11 22 169 7.7 16 0 0 0 8

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 28 178 6.4 19 0 0 0 10

Very few running backs come out of the gate running in their first year.

Ronnie Brown will be much improved this year, just watch.

:D  If Willis had a year like Ronnie Brown I wouldnt want him on the team.  Ronnie Brown is the most overhyped rb not named Julius Jones. I'd expect a hell of a lot more out of a starting rb picked in the top 5  then 907 yards rushing.  and way more then only 4 runs of 20+ yards, and 4 rushing tds.

RUSHING

2005 Miami Dolphins 15 14 207 907 4.4  65  4   5  41

RECEIVING

2005 Miami Dolphins 15 14 32 232 7.3 38 1 3 0 12

RUSHING

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 11 284 1128 4.0 41 13 10 64

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 325 1247 3.8 27 5 4 71

RECEIVING

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 11 22 169 7.7 16 0 0 0 8

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 28 178 6.4 19 0 0 0 10

736941[/snapback]

I just think that a $29M contract for a safety is just too much cap space to devote to that position when you are a team with many needs. That's just my opinion. This team is always signing cheap journeymen offensive linemen who were previous busts or are well past their prime, yet when it comes to specialty positions like WR, RB, TE, and S, they hand out money like they're Santa Claus!

Now if Whitner is a GAME CHANGING safety, perhaps he'll be worth it. I'm not holding my breath....

You too.  Sheesh.

BTW, Allen isn't just a safety - he's an injured safety whose injuries are considered by some to be career-threatening.  And the Dolphins may be "contending," but they also have serious needs at o-line, d-tackle, and WR.  If you ask me, they should have traded down to pick up Mangold or Sinorice Moss.  But, I know you'd rather just blare away on your one note over and over again...

736724[/snapback]

You cannot be particularly bright. 

Let's get this straight... you fear JOEY HARRINGTON (the Rob Johnson clone) more than you fear Culpepper?

... yeah that's what I thought.

:)

736803[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic...meaning I would fear anybody other than Culpepper (Joey Harrington, Ken Rosenwhtaeverhisnameis or otherwise) or another way to say it would be as long Culpepper plays, we have nothing to fear.

:)

You too.  Sheesh.

BTW, Allen isn't just a safety - he's an injured safety whose injuries are considered by some to be career-threatening.  And the Dolphins may be "contending," but they also have serious needs at o-line, d-tackle, and WR.  If you ask me, they should have traded down to pick up Mangold or Sinorice Moss.  But, I know you'd rather just blare away on your one note over and over again...

736724[/snapback]

I wonder why Nick Saban didn't address these blatant SERIOUS needs.....how does he expect the defensive tackle position to hold up with only Keith Traylor and Vonnie Holiday? And what does he expect? His O-Line to allow his starting RB's to average 4.5 y/p/c again? And what makes him think his O-Line will again be in the top 5 of sacks allowed? What is he smokin' to think Chris Chambers and Marty Booker are acceptable starting wideouts? With only Kelly Campbell, Wes Welker and 3rd round pick Derek Hagan competing for the 3rd wide receiver slot?