NFL NETWORK VS TIME WARNER UPDATE

Its funny, I got a call from Time Warner yesterday (pitching the digital phone and road runner) and I told the girl I'd switch if TW got the NFL channel...."OH, we have the NFL channel" she says....

"really?" :lol::lol:

"yes, we've had it for a long time"

"really", I said again, "Well then why don't you sign me up for that"

pause, pause....."Oh wait, I'll have to have someone give you a call"

"OK" I said, "Have them call me with information".....NO CALL...what a moron! :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I can't say that I blame Time Warner for their stance, and in general, I think this is much a case of the NFL's greed (at the expense of their obscenely loyal audience), as it is Time Warners' bad customer service...two corporate giants are battling it out, and we fans are the ones who really lose out...a rasberry to the NFL, and to Time Warner...

732572[/snapback]

You should thank your lucky stars for the NFLs 'greed'. If over the years they hadn't been able to negotiate such lucrative rights deals...we wouldn't be talking about the Buffalo Bills today.

WGR had a TW spokesman on this AM and he basically said Time Warner wants the NFL Network on a higher cable tier so for the people that do want it, they would have to pay more money for it (and get a whole bunch of crap channels in the process) while the NFL Network wants it on basic cable so everyone has to pay for it. Mets fan Howard Simon also asked about SportsNet NY and the guy said "we have to see if it fits somewhere". Translation- don't count on it. Billionaires vs Billionaires.

My solution was this:

I unhooked my two digital cable boxes, took them to the cable office and told them to shove them where the sun doesn't shine and to cancel my $105.00 a month digital cable (soon to go up to $112). I then went and got DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket. It will be installed Thursday. Cost for the first four months: $69.99 a month (Pay for Sunday Ticket and everything else is free for 4 months) . After that it will be $73 per month. $39 a month cheaper and I get NFL Network, Sunday Ticket and SportsNet NY. Adelphia/Time Warner can screw off. My only regret is that I didn't do this three years ago.

I am totally in support of time warner's stance...I think the NFL is too big for its own britches. I noticed that TW has removed ESPNU as well. Not a huge deal, but there are college games that I like that are only on ESPNU.

Still, I think cable is too high anyway, so while the zillionaires fight it out, i signed up for dish network last night and verizon DSL.

I compared direct tv and dishnetwork...and geez, if u have HDTV direct TV is ridiculously expensive.

Dishnetwork: 27 HD channels, and i got 2 TVs hooked up to HD (one an HD DVR), and 2 standard TV's with DVR. Startup cost = $200

Direct TV: 7 HD channels (!!??). For a similar package, startup costs would be > $600.

In the end, monthly fees are very similar, i'll come in around $100 for either package.

Oh, u should know that Dishnetwork does not have YES, so no yankee games unless u order the MLB package. OLN is on dishnetwork, not sure about direct tv.

Sabres games on MSG are on both dishnetwork & direct tv, but neither one carries the Sabres postgame shows with Rob Ray & Robitaille.

In the not to distant future, we should have another option: Verizon is putting in FiOS (fiber optics) into the area...will give u an internet connection which is significantly faster than a cable modem (and cheaper!), and they will offer 'cable' TV also...I know some people in the southtowns that have it already and they love it.

Sabres games on MSG are on both dishnetwork & direct tv, but neither one carries the Sabres postgame shows with Rob Ray & Robitaille.

732842[/snapback]

I was just looking through the channel listings of DirectTV and I couldn't find MSG. Is the MSG feed of Sabres game broadcast on a different channel? I don't want to switch to satellite just for the NFL network only to find out when hockey season comes that I am not going to get to watch Sabres games. Also, how does it work with local channels? Am going to have to bust out the rabbit ears?

I was just looking through the channel listings of DirectTV and I couldn't find MSG.  Is the MSG feed of Sabres game broadcast on a different channel?  I don't want to switch to satellite just for the NFL network only to find out when hockey season comes that I am not going to get to watch Sabres games.  Also, how does it work with local channels?  Am going to have to bust out the rabbit ears?

732869[/snapback]

Locals: Depends where you live. Do a search on DirecTV.com, enter your zipcode, and see if they offer locals. Most areas are covered by SD locals, and they're rolling out HD locals as we speak.

MSG: You won't be able to watch sporting events on the regional sports networks (like MSG, YES, etc) - you'll need to subscribe to the cooresonding sports packages (MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, etc). This is true with both Dish and DirecTV as it has to do with the licensing agreements. However you should be able to see the pre/post game shows, unless Buffalo is different because Empire is gone. Not sure.

DirecTV offers only a handful of HD channels, but they have a "special" slot where they move HD channels to when it's warrented. For example, OLN was in HD on DirecTV during the hockey playoffs, and the NFL Network is in HD from time to time as well. It hops around though, so is harder to figure out when things are in HD and when they're not.

CW

Locals: Depends where you live.  Do a search on DirecTV.com, enter your zipcode, and see if they offer locals.  Most areas are covered by SD locals, and they're rolling out HD locals as we speak.

MSG: You won't be able to watch sporting events on the regional sports networks (like MSG, YES, etc) - you'll need to subscribe to the cooresonding sports packages (MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, etc).  This is true with both Dish and DirecTV as it has to do with the licensing agreements.  However you should be able to see the pre/post game shows, unless Buffalo is different because Empire is gone.  Not sure.

DirecTV offers only a handful of HD channels, but they have a "special" slot where they move HD channels to when it's warrented.  For example, OLN was in HD on DirecTV during the hockey playoffs, and the NFL Network is in HD from time to time as well.  It hops around though, so is harder to figure out when things are in HD and when they're not.

CW

732876[/snapback]

So if I want to watch the Sabres games I have to subscribe to Center Ice and pay for ALL the games? The man is always figuring out ways to stick it to me.

So if I want to watch the Sabres games I have to subscribe to Center Ice and pay for ALL the games?  The man is always figuring out ways to stick it to me.

732901[/snapback]

You'll be able to watch all the Sabres games that are on ESPN, OLN, and NBC without Center Ice. But overall, yes, for both Dish and DirecTV (and cable, for that matter).

CW

You'll be able to watch all the Sabres games that are on ESPN, OLN, and NBC without Center Ice.  But overall, yes, for both Dish and DirecTV (and cable, for that matter).

CW

732904[/snapback]

ESPN does not broadcast NHL games.

The real issue is the "second tier" sports package that TW wants to put the NFL Network on and charge people $5 extra a month for. In virtually all cable companies the sports package is paid for by less than 10% of the consumers. That is why the NFL Network refuses to accept that deal, especially because they forked out 300 million for the 8 NFL games.

The real issue is the "second tier" sports package that TW wants to put the NFL Network on and charge people $5 extra a month for. In virtually all cable companies the sports package is paid for by less than 10% of the consumers. That is why the NFL Network refuses to accept that deal, especially because they forked out 300 million for the 8 NFL games.

732926[/snapback]

Plus, they don't get the ad revenues that will come with higher viewership if NFL Net is on expanded basic cable.

Plus, they don't get the ad revenues that will come with higher viewership if NFL Net is on expanded basic cable.

732931[/snapback]

Exactly. Although that is part of the same argument. They want "the numbers" of expanded basic or digital, and not the feeble numbers of the sports package.

A few years ago, when I was considering getting satallite, so I could get the ticket (not realizing you had to have Direct TV), nearly every consumer report I read, favored the Dish Network...I know you are an "advocate", and things may very well have improved since that time.  But don't you think (and I am asking an honest question here, not being a smart-ass, honest) that all things equal, most people would prefer to have cable, to a satallite dish, from any company?  Remember, I said all things being equal...it is not about the technology...it is about money and contracts.

732671[/snapback]

I hated how cable was raising my rates, and I felt the overall treatment I received from cable providers paled in comparison to DTV. That was until recently.

The installation teams for DTV are now very inexperienced, and the customer service people are not properly trained. I had to set up three separate appointments when I moved last year because some 18 year old kid who clearly lacked training had no clue what the hell he was doing. Later in the year I was double billed for 5 consecutive months, despite dozens of attempts to notify them of the problem. Because of this I was sent to collections and repeatedly hassled by collectors. The new automated system they use is a maze of BS, often connecting you several different departments, none of which have a clue. I also experienced signal loss or distortion at even the first hint of rain for most of last year (probably because the install kid).

I admit I probably got the worst of what DTV has to offer last year because they were pretty solid the years prior. I just feel that this type of experience is not so much an isolated event but a trend in degrading quality of service.

I hated how cable was raising my rates, and I felt the overall treatment I received from cable providers paled in comparison to DTV. That was until recently.

The installation teams for DTV are now very inexperienced, and the customer service people are not properly trained. I had to set up three separate appointments when I moved last year because some 18 year old kid who clearly lacked training had no clue what the hell he was doing. Later in the year I was double billed for 5 consecutive months, despite dozens of attempts to notify them of the problem. Because of this I was sent to collections and repeatedly hassled by collectors. The new automated system they use is a maze of BS, often connecting you several different departments, none of which have a clue. I also experienced signal loss or distortion at even the first hint of rain for most of last year (probably because the install kid).

I admit I probably got the worst of what DTV has to offer last year because they were pretty solid the years prior. I just feel that this type of experience is not so much an isolated event but a trend in degrading quality of service.

732953[/snapback]

Sounds a bit like a company that's financially struggling. I've no idea how solvent they are...

732953[/snapback]

I love DirecTV. It's awesome, and I couldn't be happier with its product for the most part. That said, their cutomer service is simply deplorable in my experience. Calling them on the phone at any time is a nightmare, almost every single time. The people they send over (I think are independent contractors) are morons. For me at least, I try to separate that from the enjoyment I get out of DirectTV, and know what I am getting into whenever I have to deal with them outside of the stuff on my TV.

The sports tier is $1.95/mo.

733032[/snapback]

Is it $2 for basic and $5 for digital?

The real sticking point in the negotiations is that TW wants to put the NFL Network not on the widely circulated expanded basic and not even on digital basic but on a digital sports tier.

A sports tier is unacceptable to the NFL net because digital subscribers have to pay an extra monthly fee of $5 or more for it. That tariff has kept sports tiers from reaching even a modest audience; many of the cable-system tiers have a hard time reaching 10% of digital subs.

The NFL Network also is reluctant to accept sports tiers because it has a most-favored-nations deal with Comcast, DirecTV and other major distributors. What that means is that if the NFL allowed Time Warner to place the net on a digital tier, Comcast and DirecTV could follow suit, dropping it from basic cable and damaging the NFL Network's subscriber base and advertising revenues.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111794775...egoryid=14&cs=1