WGR55...........WTF?

Here's more crap coming from WGR (aka Two Sabres Drive).

Sabres re-signed Tim Connolly for three years. I can't believe they reported this on the day the Bills signed McCargo.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres re-signed Tim Connolly for three years. I can't believe they reported this on the day the Bills signed McCargo.

731028[/snapback]

Connolly needs a Kelso helmet.

But hey, let's talk Sabres, they actually won two fuggin playoff series. 

730697[/snapback]

Well, thats 2 more then the Bills won, they also almost won a third

Dude, calm down, it is the first day of training camp, not the first pre-season or regular season game. WGR is a sports station, am I right? The Sabres play Hockey which is a sport, the Bills play football which is a sport, Following me here? The Sabres had 2 key players sign long term contracts yesterday that helped the team avoid having to go to arbitration yesterday (they have the most players in the league going to arbitration this year so this helps them out) Their president also held a news conference yesterday to talk about the uniforms that have the teams fans in an uproar the past month or so (I don't think a uniform should be huge news, but for some it is, and to the poster who couldn't understand why becasue he thought they would be happy going back to the old ones, its becasue of the new logo that people are in an uproar). That is news. What car JP showed up to, what Marv had for breakfast, Who helped who stretch this morning is not top priority news. WGR is just talking about what is top priority right now, and that happens to be what is going on with the Sabres.

I realise that you are probably all horny now that football is starting back up, but there really hasn't been much to talk about yet CAUSE IT JUST STARTED! Teams also don't like giving out information until the make it official, so maybe thats why Marv didn't make it a priority to run over to WGR and tell them that McCargo would sign a deal later today. From what I have read, he signed the deal at 1:30 and from what I've heard here, they didn't make the deal official til 11:00, so maybe at that time they didn't know 100% that he would sign?

Either way, Enough with the ranting and raving, right now the NFL may be a higher level sport across the country, but the Bills have lost that status to the Sabres becasue the Sabres have been winning so that means they will probably get top priority over the Bills until they make a run for the SB.

731028[/snapback]

How dare they report that when news like what kind of pen McCargo used to sign his contract or what he was wearing at the signing, or what Gatorade he drank at practice, or how he tied his shoes could have been discussed instead of Buffalo re-signing Connolly

731028[/snapback]

What horseshit this is. Who cares about goddam hockey in July! :blink:

WTF is WGR doing this morning?  It's all fuggin Sabres.  I love the NHL, and I admit, I am NOT a Sabres fan, however, I have to even think the Sabres fans want to hear some good Bills stuff on the first day of Bills camp.

Am I wrong?  I don't give a flyin fugg who the hell did or didn't go to arbitration.  Can I get an update on Whitner, McCargo?  They are live at St. John Fisher and we get wall to wall Sabres in fuggin JULY.

God.

730561[/snapback]

Glad I dont get that awful station here......buncha 4 year olds

Though he went flying off the handle a little bit, I gotta agree with LV Bills main point. I live in Buffalo and don't outright hate WGR. But it definitely sucks that it is our only station for sports here. Mike Shoop admits that he isn't really that big of a football fan. To live in Buffalo and claim that is inexcusable. I mean WTF.

I think that main thing that pisses me off is I hate the bandwagon mentality that people have. I love the Sabres and they had a great season. But where were all these diehard fans two years ago? All of sudden people care about the NHL offseason. I know the Bills are down, but I love this team no matter want. The opening of training camp should be huge deal. I understand the Sabres are making offseason news but it definitely should take a backseat to the Bills right now. After the Bills season ends, the Sabres should be front and center. The worse part of this is that WGR has a monopoly and the listeners are powerless. :w00t:

Though he went flying off the handle a little bit, I gotta agree with LV Bills main point.  I live in Buffalo and don't outright hate WGR.  But it definitely sucks that it is our only station for sports here.  Mike Shoop admits that he isn't really that big of a football fan.  To live in Buffalo and claim that is inexcusable. I mean WTF.

I think that main thing that pisses me off is I hate the bandwagon mentality that people have.  I love the Sabres and they had a great season.  But where were all these diehard fans two years ago?  All of sudden people care about the NHL offseason.  I know the Bills are down, but I love this team no matter want.  The opening of training camp should be huge deal.  I understand the Sabres are making offseason news but it definitely should take a backseat to the Bills right now.  After the Bills season ends, the Sabres should be front and center.  The worse part of this is that WGR has a monopoly and the listeners are powerless.  :w00t:

731157[/snapback]

Again, what is the Bills news right now? THey reported camp opened - they even started in the drill by drill comparison of QB's, which I can't stand because nobody knows the intent of those drills. Last year we had a guy on TBD posting about how JP was WAY off target on all his throws causing the WR's to jump all over the place. He forgot to mention the drill was a frickin; WR drill and JP is supposed to throw it off target! LOL!

Also, I can't take you seriously with the Flav avatar! :w00t:

This is funny, cause the Sabres fans are usually complaining about only hearing Bills news on WGR.

The difference is that the Sabres have actual news to report, like the press conference about the uniform and 2 players getting re-signed. The Bills don't, they showed up to camp, there was a parade or party, or whatever. Everything that is being proposed that they should be doing is all stuff that can be done any other time and is all just the same stuff we have heard over and over all summer. TKO's recovery, Marvs take on everything, QB situation. UNtil there is actual Bills news, actual Sabres news should take precedence.

Although it does seem a little starnge that while they are at training camp broadcasting they are talking Sabres, but that is where the news is coming from at the moment.

730655[/snapback]

Yes, I tend to agree. Real news versus tired speculation - Did JP get a haircut? Did Takeo seem to limp a little? The Bills will have their time in the spotlight - when there is some real news to report. Meanwhile, the re-signings by the Sabres' key players is important stuff for a team that has brought some pride back to Buffalo..

Glad I dont get that awful station here......buncha 4 year olds

731069[/snapback]

So Adam, I do believe you said something back in January about the Sabres starting out 0-20. You still holding on to that prediction?

I see you are from Virginia - your viewpoint on hockey is now explainable.

Careful when throwing around generalizations, lest you look foolish. I'm also from Virginia (via Grand Island) and have been a diehard Sabre fan since their inception in 1970. Quite frankly, I've lived here longer than I did up there but that doesn't mean I don't know hockey. I know you were trying to make a point to back up your argument but it was weak. :w00t:

No way, i want to know who is going to be in a sabres uni next year.

it's the 1st day of practice, in shorts no less. It's not like they broadcast from the field and do a play by play of practice. I think they have the balance right for now.

Personally i am more interested to see how and if Briere is with the sabres next year than i am to know how Mcargo 'looked' in a walk thru practice with no hitting and no pads! I'm just not that interested in football yet.

731028[/snapback]

I can't believe they weren't talking about McCargo ALL DAY yesterday. Re-signing a player who could range anywhere from "may never play again" to "may be a superstar"?? WHO CARES???

I want to know what McCargo was wearing. Was he wearing a tie? What type of shirt was it? Cotton? Polyester? Cotton-Poly blend? And what about his shoes? And I can't believe they aired commercials at all yesterday! Commercials! I need every second of radio time devoted to talking about John McCargo signing the contract that we all knew he was going to sign. DAMMIT!

And what about the rest of the Bills? Are they looking forward to practice? Do they think they're going to play well this year? Did anyone get a chance to ask them all of the same questions that everyone has been asking football players about training camp for the past few decades? Seriously, it is SO IMPORTANT that I hear the answers to those questions. Marv was there; did he have a beverage?? I guess we'll never know because WGR SUCKS ASS!

Who cares if the Sabres are busy re-assembling a team that was definitely one of the best in hockey last year. Right now I need to know which players brough PlayStations to camp with them.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I almost hate to bump this thread since it's been 90% train wreck, but Lv-Bills should check out the web poll at wgr550.com.

As of 7/30 at 5:24 pm, there have 1583 voters...64% of which say the Sabres' announcement of a traditional 3rd jersey is bigger news than the Bills opening camp (36%).

Lv-Bills, this town has nothing but red-hot passion for the Sabres at the moment and they are literally making news everyday with signings, re-signings and the non-stop jersey fiasco. The passion and the buzz surrounding the Bills just isn't there. I don't mean this to be a shot at you (you've taken enough in this thread) but if you were up here I think you'd be able to have a better idea of how big the Sabres are at the moment.

I've never experienced a summer in WNY where the hockey team is bigger than the football team, but that's where we're at right now. The hockey team is coming off its greatest season in franchise history, and as stated earlier, is making news almost every day. The opening of camp aint what it used to be...and whether it's because of all the recent losing, lingering negativity from the Donahoe regime, doubts about Marv, Jauron & Co., no playoffs in 6 years and counting, or all of the above, training camp is still news...but it's not NEWS.

People here have really glommed on to the Sabres in a big way. It's almost the same sort of attitude that sports fans here had toward the Bills in the late 80s. A mentality where, "Wow, this team is really young but has potential to be very special." We feel as if the Sabres are on the edge of something great, so it's natural to be psyched about the hockey team all year long.

I think we both know that there is one way for the Bills to steal headlines from the Sabres once again, and that's to put Ws in the standings. Until that happens, the hockey is hot and the football team is not...

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of where WNY is coming from at the moment...

----------------

Quick edit -- Just saw that the Sabres re-signed Gaustad today with a two-year deal, avoiding arbitration. So there's a perfect example.