WGR55...........WTF?

WTF is WGR doing this morning? It's all fuggin Sabres. I love the NHL, and I admit, I am NOT a Sabres fan, however, I have to even think the Sabres fans want to hear some good Bills stuff on the first day of Bills camp.

Am I wrong? I don't give a flyin fugg who the hell did or didn't go to arbitration. Can I get an update on Whitner, McCargo? They are live at St. John Fisher and we get wall to wall Sabres in fuggin JULY.

God.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is WGR doing this morning?  It's all fuggin Sabres.  I love the NHL, and I admit, I am NOT a Sabres fan, however, I have to even think the Sabres fans want to hear some good Bills stuff on the first day of Bills camp.

Am I wrong?  I don't give a flyin fugg who the hell did or didn't go to arbitration.  Can I get an update on Whitner, McCargo?  They are live at St. John Fisher and we get wall to wall Sabres in fuggin JULY.

God.

730561[/snapback]

I agree somewhat, but it's obvious after the Sabres recent run that they captivated WNY, and the Bills just don't have all that much to be super-excited about. Quinn did give a pressy yesterday regarding the uniforms, which obviously has had everyone in a tizzy. And the Sabes did sign Lydman and Pville to long-term deals yesterday. And they have a player up for arbitration on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next week. So there's lots to discuss.

What are they going to say about the Bills on the morning camp opens? I hope Spikes can return to form...I hope we find a Qb...I hope they sign their top picks...blah blah.

Don't worry, give it a week and you will have Bills coverage coming out your ears.

I agree somewhat, but it's obvious after the Sabres recent run that they captivated WNY, and the Bills just don't have all that much to be super-excited about.  Quinn did give a pressy yesterday regarding the uniforms, which obviously has had everyone in a tizzy.  And the Sabes did sign Lydman and Pville to long-term deals yesterday.  And they have a player up for arbitration on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next week.  So there's lots to discuss.

What are they going to say about the Bills on the morning camp opens?  I hope Spikes can return to form...I hope we find a Qb...I hope they sign their top picks...blah blah.

Don't worry, give it a week and you will have Bills coverage coming out your ears.

730567[/snapback]

Who cares about the NHL in July. I'll give you the uniforms thing, and the Sabres did the right thing, but anything else, who fuggin cares. It's the NHL. It's a passive interest for most people until teams finally make a run. Even then, it's regional. However, as much fun as it was for Sabres fans to see them win a whole 2 playoff series, the NFL dwarfs hockey. The Sabres made a run....great. In July, who cares? Talk to us about that crap in more detail in 2 months.

How about an interview or two with a Bills player?

How about some talk on someone who might know about Whitner and McCargo?

How about an interview with someone from the Bills on whether they will wear throwbacks, what stadium improvements were made and what types of marketing they'll do?

How about an interview with Andre Reed about going up on the wall?

How about an interview with Marv or someone about the excitement of opening camp?

How about interviews from other AFC East cities beat reporters about what's going on with the Pats, Jets and Phins?

Just a thought or two. It's not hard to come up with some material on the first day of camp.

Today is sort of football season Christmas Eve. They could have or could talk about this crap anytime. After all, they are at St. John Fisher. Maybe they should have set up shop at HSBC arena instead. Dreadful.

GIMME ANYTHING. It's football fuggin season.

Who cares about the NHL in July.  I'll give you the uniforms thing, and the Sabres did the right thing, but anything else, who fuggin cares.  It's the NHL.  It's a passive interest for most people until teams finally make a run.  Even then, it's regional.  However, as much fun as it was for Sabres fans to see them win a whole 2 playoff series, the NFL dwarfs hockey. The Sabres made a run....great.  In July, who cares?  Talk to us about that crap in more detail in 2 months.

How about an interview with someone from the Bills on whether they will wear throwbacks, what stadium improvements were made and what types of marketing they'll do?

How about an interview with Marv or someone about the excitement of opening camp?

How about interviews from other AFC East cities beat reporters about what's going on with the Pats, Jets and Phins?

Just a thought or two.  It's not hard to come up with some material on the first day of camp. 

Today is sort of football season Christmas Eve.  They could have or could talk about this crap anytime.  After all, they are at St. John Fisher.  Maybe they should have set up shop at HSBC arena instead.  Dreadful.

GIMME ANYTHING.  It's football fuggin season.

730587[/snapback]

All good points Lv...But honestly (not sure if you are in WNY or not) the normal excitement that surrounds the opening of Bills camp just isn't there this year. I agree that hockey is not even close to the national appeal that the NFL has, but hockey is a big part of Buffalo's identity in the sports world. The Bills will always be #1, but this is also big-time hockey town. There are huge issues with salaries that could have a big impact on the long-term success of an NHL franchise in Buffalo. And with the playoff run the Sabres just had, where they were arguably the best team in the NHL during the playoffs, people are still riding that wave. They are interested if this team that the city fell in love with can be kept together.

After 5 rebuilding years with the Bills, it is hard to get excited about year 1 of their new rebuilding program. No doubt I'm pumped about football...But all of those questions you mentioned, I really couldn't care less about the answers. Like I said, wait until Monday, and you will have more coverage than you know what to do with.

Who cares about the NHL in July.  I'll give you the uniforms thing, and the Sabres did the right thing, but anything else, who fuggin cares.  It's the NHL.  It's a passive interest for most people until teams finally make a run.  Even then, it's regional.  However, as much fun as it was for Sabres fans to see them win a whole 2 playoff series, the NFL dwarfs hockey. The Sabres made a run....great.  In July, who cares?  Talk to us about that crap in more detail in 2 months.

Just a thought or two.  It's not hard to come up with some material on the first day of camp. 

Today is sort of football season Christmas Eve.  They could have or could talk about this crap anytime.  After all, they are at St. John Fisher.  Maybe they should have set up shop at HSBC arena instead.  Dreadful.

GIMME ANYTHING.  It's football fuggin season.

730587[/snapback]

Actually for most normal human beings it is John Grishan (or the person of your choice of a similar beach ilk, I'm an Archie and Jughead fan myself for deep introspection) season.

WGR carries Sabres games.

WGR does not carry Bills games.

I wonder why they talk about the Sabres more?

Espn does not carry hockey.

I wonder why ESPN showed very few hockey playoff highlights?

730608[/snapback]

WGR is a sports talk radio station. The NFL dwarfs hockey. You talk about football.....period. If the Bills were even challenging for a playoff spot and the Sabres were undefeated in their first say 30 games, no one would barely notice the Sabres until football was done.

It's the first day of football. When more than a half a million fans parade through a Sabres training camp, like the Bills, then talk to me. Until then, this day alone, should be all kinds of Bills preview stuff.

Pathetic.

Very few people care about the NHL year round and less even in July. That is different in Buffalo. The NFL is a much, much, much bigger story. They should be going over training camp the whole freaggin' show. This is the biggest show in sports (the NFL) and Buffalo is lucky enough to have a team. There are plenty of stories (Spikes, McCargo and Whitner contracts, QB battle, etc...). Start commenting on camp and who cares about a stupid jersey for 15 games next year?

WTF is WGR doing this morning?  It's all fuggin Sabres.  I love the NHL, and I admit, I am NOT a Sabres fan, however, I have to even think the Sabres fans want to hear some good Bills stuff on the first day of Bills camp.

Am I wrong?  I don't give a flyin fugg who the hell did or didn't go to arbitration.  Can I get an update on Whitner, McCargo?  They are live at St. John Fisher and we get wall to wall Sabres in fuggin JULY.

God.

730561[/snapback]

i'm a sabres fan, but its about time someone says this!

The NFL dwarfs hockey. 

730615[/snapback]

Got that right. Ever wonder why the NHL broadcasts were relegated to OLN? Because when they were on network TV their ratings were on par with Arena Football ratings (I'm a huge foorball fan, and even I don't wantch much Arena ball).

That's just pathetic.

At least it's not as bad as the New Hampshire station I get and listen to whats happening around the NFL on Sunday afternoons - for more than half the season NFL radio coverage is forced off the air by radio coverage of NASCAR. Damn - that stuff is boring to watch on TV - imagine how boring it is on the radio! What's next - brush to brush radio coverage of the world paint drying championships? Shoot me.

Seriously - in July, knock off the hockey coverage unless there's some major news...

I wonder if SDS can report the relative stats for this Bills and Sabres sites.

730621[/snapback]

Don't even really have to. Colin Cowherd on ESPN did a show on that a few months ago. He said that ESPN's website did a study on it's website about how many hits different sports had on their website, and it wasn't even close.

If I'm not mistaken, Cowherd said the NFL portion of the website received more hits per day than every other sport combined. He also said, that College Football was second, and NASCAR was third, baseball fourth.

They were some interesting stats.

WGR is a sports talk radio station.  The NFL dwarfs hockey.  You talk about football.....period.  If the Bills were even challenging for a playoff spot and the Sabres were undefeated in their first say 30 games, no one would barely notice the Sabres until football was done.

It's the first day of football.  When more than a half a million fans parade through a Sabres training camp, like the Bills, then talk to me.  Until then, this day alone, should be all kinds of Bills preview stuff.

Pathetic.

730615[/snapback]

I see you are from Virginia - your viewpoint on hockey is now explainable.

The reason they are talking so much about Hockey is that the Sabres and the NHL are in a critical period where they are trying to sign all their players and going through arbitrations. The sabres are at a huge risk of losing Daniel Brier, Max, and not to mention neither Miller or Kalinin are signed.

This period is also critical because the Sabres view on the health of Hockey is more sceptical than the rest of the league. Though the salary cap went up based upon the unexpected level of profit the Sabres are betting that last year was an anomoly and the cap may actually come down next year or the year after. So they refuse to "join the crowd" and overpay players.

Larry Quinn gave the example of Tampa Bay who has three players taking $21 million in cap space! That means they have three great players and a bunch of young scrubs. The Sabres may not have those three great players, but they have a higher average of talent than Tampa. Therefore, they can roll out more lines that will dominate. That is the theory.

So, what is going on is an interesting tension and threatens to dismantle a team that WNY fell in love with. So go watch NASCAR!

I'm not disagreeing with anybody in this thread. You just have to understand, a promising outlook for the Bills is 8-8. It is a rebuilding year under a new regime, after five rebuilding years under the old regime. People are excited for the NFL, but the buzz that usually accompanies the Bills camp just isn't in the air this year. I'm sure it will build as the team takes the practice field.

Trust me, the QB contest, McCargo/Whitner's contracts, TKO's achilles, the schedule, the OLine, predicted records, etc. etc. etc., have all been discussed ad nauseum over the past month.

I don't mind hearing about issues critical to the Sabres instead of pure speculation about Bills players that haven't even seen the field yet. I will fully absorb all of the training camp reports as they start coming out. But I don't find it absurd or alarming that on the morning before camp has even opened, they aren't talking about the same Bills topics they've been discussing the entire summer.

I am done with Sabres logo talk, though. Time to move on from that. Thankfully Quinn dished out a little info yesterday, so hopefully that calms all the crazies down.

I see you are from Virginia - your viewpoint on hockey is now explainable.

The reason they are talking so much about Hockey is that the Sabres and the NHL are in a critical period where they are trying to sign all their players and going through arbitrations. The sabres are at a huge risk of losing Daniel Brier, Max, and not to mention neither Miller or Kalinin are signed.

This period is also critical because the Sabres view on the health of Hockey is more sceptical than the rest of the league. Though the salary cap went up based upon the unexpected level of profit the Sabres are betting that last year was an anomoly and the cap may actually come down next year or the year after. So they refuse to "join the crowd" and overpay players.

Larry Quinn gave the example of Tampa Bay who has three players taking $21 million in cap space! That means they have three great players and a bunch of young scrubs. The Sabres may not have those three great players, but they have a higher average of talent than Tampa. Therefore, they can roll out more lines that will dominate. That is the theory.

So, what is going on is an interesting tension and threatens to dismantle a team that WNY fell in love with. So go watch NASCAR!

730640[/snapback]

I'm in Virginia, but I'm from Pittsburgh. I grew up in the Mario Lemieux era, and love hockey. The ONLY story that would take precedence back then over a Steelers training camp that would lead sports talk radio would be Lemieux retiring.

This is pathetic. Seriously. And don't tell me about hockey.....I had Pens season tickets for about 7 years until I moved. I also go to Raleigh to watch the Canes just to get some hockey down here once in a while.

But today is the first real day of football. And WGR's coverage is pathetic. I'm overly underwhelmed.

There are a ton of cool things WGR could have done today. But I guess when you have hosts that prepare for a show by going to bed at night without putting in any work, you get the type of crap they gave us today.

Hell, even in Richmond Virginia, our hosts travel to Skins camp to cover wall to wall Redskins the first few days or their camp.

Pathetic.

This is funny, cause the Sabres fans are usually complaining about only hearing Bills news on WGR.

The difference is that the Sabres have actual news to report, like the press conference about the uniform and 2 players getting re-signed. The Bills don't, they showed up to camp, there was a parade or party, or whatever. Everything that is being proposed that they should be doing is all stuff that can be done any other time and is all just the same stuff we have heard over and over all summer. TKO's recovery, Marvs take on everything, QB situation. UNtil there is actual Bills news, actual Sabres news should take precedence.

Although it does seem a little starnge that while they are at training camp broadcasting they are talking Sabres, but that is where the news is coming from at the moment.

Got that right. Ever wonder why the NHL broadcasts were relegated to OLN? Because when they were on network TV their ratings were on par with Arena Football ratings (I'm a huge foorball fan, and even I don't wantch much Arena ball).

That's just pathetic.

At least it's not as bad as the New Hampshire station I get and listen to whats happening around the NFL on Sunday afternoons - for more than half the season NFL radio coverage is forced off the air by radio coverage of NASCAR. Damn - that stuff is boring to watch on TV - imagine how boring it is on the radio! What's next - brush to brush radio coverage of the world paint drying championships? Shoot me.

Seriously - in July, knock off the hockey coverage unless there's some major news...

730630[/snapback]

Um, what exactly would you consider "major news"?

The Sabres signed 1/2 of their top D-pair and the kid that scored the shorthanded OT winner to put them in the semis yesterday. That isn't "major news"?

Additionally, the Sabres Captain received an extremely high arbitration award a few days ago and the team is still deciding how to proceed on that one. The Sabres have 5 more players scheduled for arbitration next week. The Sabres are also trying to re-sign their starting goalie and another key defenseman.

Oh, and BTW, the team president also had a strange newsconference yesterday regarding the public outcry against the team's new logo.

While I realize that none of this may meet the standard out of towner's definition of "major news", for people living in Buffalo, which is where the station you are railing against broadcasts from, it IS news.

The Sabres are generating a buzz in WNY. Simply because you aren't there to share in it, doesn't mean that it isn't happening. And as Apus pointed out, there really isn't much, or more accurately any, "news" at training camp just yet.

As for the crack about OLN, yes, you are correct that nationally the NHL is under the radar of most. But in Buffalo, it isn't. In Buffalo, you were getting NFL style ratings for the games. Again, IN Buffalo people are far more excited about the Sabres right now than they are about the Bills.