Division III Football players making NFL

inkman

Anyone who posts here have any friends or family that got a sniff of the NFL coming from D III football? I know the chances are remote but I'm curious as to what steps need to be taken to attract the attention of scouts.

Anyone who posts here have any friends or family that got a sniff of the NFL coming from D III football?  I know the chances are remote but I'm curious as to what steps need to be taken to attract the attention of scouts.

724703[/snapback]

London Fletcher, anyone?

Anyone who posts here have any friends or family that got a sniff of the NFL coming from D III football?  I know the chances are remote but I'm curious as to what steps need to be taken to attract the attention of scouts.

724703[/snapback]

A Bills scout once said, when discussing how the team finds small-school gems like Andre Reed, Jamie Muleller, etc, said that they look for players that absolutely dominate their competition.

So you had better be setting league records and kicking major a$$ to get the attention of a scout. You know, there's always Arena ball and the CFL.

PTR

A Bills scout once said, when discussing how the team finds small-school gems like Andre Reed, Jamie Muleller, etc, said that they look for players that absolutely dominate their competition.

So you had better be setting league records and kicking major a$$ to get the attention of a scout.  You know, there's always Arena ball and the CFL.

PTR

724751[/snapback]

He's made all-conference teams and may end up being the all time leading reciever from the TE spot. He has NFL size (6'3" 255lbs), NFL speed (4.6 40 time), and for what it's worth he's a good citizen. I'm just wondering if we need to send out videos, or other forms of media to get noticed?

They'll notice him if he's got the stuff.....I knew a guy, LB out of III school who went to the combine. He put himself on the map with something like 40 reps of 225 and an above average 40. He was with the Steeler organization and went NFL Europe. He's out of football now but he did get his chance.

They'll notice him if he's got the stuff.....I knew a guy, LB out of III school who went to the combine.  He put himself on the map with something like 40 reps of 225 and an above average 40.  He was with the Steeler organization and went NFL Europe.  He's out of football now but he did get his chance.

724842[/snapback]

NFL combine is invite only correct?

I know the chances are remote but I'm curious as to what steps need to be taken to attract the attention of scouts.

724703[/snapback]

Perhaps they need to compile a similar criminal record to the DI draft prospects. If a WR at Brockport St could rack up a few assaults, maybe a rape, and throw in a disorderly conduct or two, I'm sure that Oakland, Cincy, Miami, or Dallas would give him a look.

NFL combine is invite only correct?

724848[/snapback]

I'm not sure but I believe you are correct. He really needs his coaches to turn on the lobbying for him to get a look if the scouts aren't already onto him.

HOW ARE PLAYERS SELECTED FOR THE NFL COMBINE?

Participants are determined annually by a Selection Committee comprised of seven members. The Directors of both National and Blesto scouting services, which combined represent twenty-six NFL teams, are joined by five members of various NFL player personnel departments to form the committee. The team members can rotate on a yearly basis, but remain anonymous. All eligible players are reviewed and voted on by the committee members. Each athlete receiving the necessary number of votes, by position, is then extended an invitation. While it is not a perfect science, the goal of the committee is to invite every player that will be drafted in the ensuing NFL Draft.

hmmmm...

I'm not sure but I believe you are correct.  He really needs his coaches to turn on the lobbying for him to get a look if the scouts aren't already onto him.

724861[/snapback]

A little bit more info on this....

My sons speed trainer (a freakishly fast db/wr of somoan heritiage) was set to go to last years NFL combine, but something happened and too many were invited or something to that affect.....so he and the other athletes who were denied entry were given "numbers" for this next years combine.

In the meantime.....he makes money getting college players ready to go for their seasons......its cool because I get to meet them all when my son goes to work out with them....a linebacker from colorado state.....a wide reciever from university of washington.......a couple of local JUCO players.....and a couple of senior high school players who are close to scholarships......

PS....an update on my kids status....he is now a high school freshman football player and Junior All American is behind him....

His HS coaches love him...he plays the zip linebacker spot (its the most difficult position on defense they have to cover receivers.....blitz....and have responsibility for a large portion of the field at LOS....on offense he is in a close battle with another kid for running back and its neck and neck.....they both have good size but the other kid has never played tackle before (he was some sort of star flag football kid) and has phenom speed for a freshman.....runs a 4.7 40 yard. Brett runs a 5.0 40 yard. Its basically one of those situations on whoever loses plays Fullback.

• 5 months later...

Well, his season has been over for a while and he's contemplating going to a "combine". These "combines" basically sound like they are rip off scams, charging young college grads a few hundred dollars to get "scouted". Anybody know about these alleged "combines"?

my first college was Mount Union College. Their QB in the early 1990's through about 95 or 96 was Jim Ballard. He set all kinds of D-III records and whatnot... Then he made the Buffalo Bills... In Alliance, OH it was huge news, but the reality was that he was camp fodder for a few years. I believe the extent of his playing time was mop up duty in a couple pre season games. Anyhow, one night, late late at night, we were at the taco bell across the street from the dorm. I had my old bills sweatshirt on and some dude walks up to me, shakes my hand and says he's Jim Ballard and he was in training camp for the bills. We did small talk for a bit and that was that. My brush with "greatness".

I knew a defensive lineman at Brockport who got an agent and ended up at the combine. I think he might have gotten a cup of coffee at a training camp. There are those who do scour Division III for talent and invites do come to combines and apparently even to some Bowl games. Division III

When I was a freshman at Brockport, I was working out in the athletes weight room with Josh Warner C/G for the Bears for a couple years. Also, Bob Casullo special teams coach for the Seahawks is a former Brockport coach and alum(IIRC)

When I was a freshman at Brockport, I was working out in the athletes weight room with Josh Warner C/G for the Bears for a couple years. Also, Bob Casullo special teams coach for the Seahawks is a former Brockport coach and alum(IIRC)

My bro is graduating from B-port this spring. Finished top 10 recieving in yards and receptions, and I believe he's #1 for TE. If this is his last bit of football so be it.

You're not gonna win much money but before starting "real life" and get a real job any good football player from any NCAA team (div 3 included) can play for a team in Europe, spend the year there having fun and playing a little football. If you're really good you may get an invitation to an NFLE camp and if you're not that good, well what kind of young athletic american bachelor would not enjoy a year in Europe all costs paid?!!

I can give you lot of contacts if your bro is interested...

My bro is graduating from B-port this spring. Finished top 10 recieving in yards and receptions, and I believe he's #1 for TE. If this is his last bit of football so be it.

About 25 years ago (Yikes!), my next door neighbor was receiver wioth UB (when they were playing Div III ball), he was one of their leading receivers in pass happy offense. He got a shot at the Bills training camp as a free agent. He lasted until the first cut. His statement back then was that he got very few reps in training camp (not that he would have gotten many anyway, the coach at the time Chuck "three runs, and a cloud of dust" Knox. He said that the top draft pick at receiver for the Bills that year was Perry Tuttle out of Clemson. They had very similar 4o times, they were about the same size, etc, etc. I think we all knnow how well Perry Tuttle turned out for the Bills

I think it is pretty tough for an undrafted free agent from a small program to get noticed in an NFL camp.