Where do today's Bills stack up?

I decided to put together the top 52 Bills players of the last 15 years. Depth chart and all. Top head coach and coordinators as well. The order from best to worst. I only took each players' performance while with the Bills in consideration. Not what they did before or since. Here it goes.

QB: Kelly, Flutie, Reich

RB: Thomas, McGahee, Henry

WR: Reed, Moulds, Lofton, Price, Evans

FB: Gash

TE: McKellar, Metzalaars, Riemersma

T: Wolford, Ballard, Jennings

G: Brown, Ritcher, Davis,

C: Hull

DE: Smith, Hansen, Schobel, Jeffcoat

DT: Washington, Williams, Adams, Wright

OLB: Bennett, Talley, Paup, Spikes

MLB: Cowart, Conlan, Fletcher, Spielman

CB: Winfield, Clements, Odomes, McGee, Smith

FS: Kelso, Vincent

SS: Jones, Milloy, Smith

K: Christie

P: Moorman

ST: Tasker, Pike

HC: Levy

OC: Marchibroda

DC: Phillips

ST: April

Anyone disagree?

I gotta admit. I'm surprised! I actually came up with 10 current Bills. I hope more will arise.

I know this is going to drive the Flutopians and anti-Bledsoes nuts, but I think a strong case can be made that Bledsoe was better than Flutie. Both were here for 3 seasons. Flutie played for a team with a much better defense.

Bledsoe started every game, 48 total in 3 years and was never injured enough to miss a start. Flutie started 30 games in his 3 seasons and missed the 1st 4 games of the 2000 season due to injury.

Both had about 1/2 a season of greatness their 1st year with the Bills and then fizzled. Each made the Pro Bowl as a result of his 1/2 of a great season.

Flutie may have been more popular with fans and was a good example of style over substance, but the better QB, with the Bills, pre-Bills and post-Bills is Bledsoe. With Flutie's teams D, Bledsoe might have been able to win a playoff game, something Flutie never did.

I decided to put together the top 52 Bills players of the last 15 years. Depth chart and all. Top head coach and coordinators as well. The order from best to worst. I only took each players' performance while with the Bills in consideration. Not what they did before or since. Here it goes.

QB: Kelly, Flutie, Reich

FB: Gash

TE: McKellar, Metzalaars, Riemersma

T: Wolford, Ballard, Jennings

G: Brown, Ritcher, Davis,

DE: Smith, Hansen, Schobel, Jeffcoat

OLB: Bennett, Talley, Paup, Spikes

MLB: Cowart, Conlan, Fletcher, Spielman

CB: Winfield, Clements, Odomes, McGee, Smith

FS: Kelso, Vincent

P: Moorman

Anyone disagree?

I gotta admit. I'm surprised! I actually came up with 10 current Bills. I hope more will arise.

723534[/snapback]

Rating by value to the team and on field performance:

RB - - I would put Kenny Davis ahead of Henry and McGahee (so far)

FB - I think Garner and Mueller desrve mention

Ot - I put Fina and Parker ahead of Jennings (any day of the week)

OG - I put Richter first, then Brown, then Davis/Parker

P- Kidd and Mohr werr good and deserve mention

SS - Add Schulz

1) Paup and TKO ahead of Talley. TKO (jmo) ahead of Bennett.

2) Sorry, Drew ahead of Flutie.

3) I'll take Clements over Winfield.

4) Metz was the top TE.

5) I rank Schobel in front of Hansen. Imagine if he played opposite Bruce!

6) Speilman over Conlan and Fletcher.

Jmo.

Let's see:

QB: Absolutely correct, no others were winners... maybe JP this year over Reich.

RB: Davis over Henry.

TE: Metz over McKellar, no Jay R.. in his place, I'll add Fowler at C. :)

OLB: TKO over Talley

MLB: Conlan goes to the bottom of that depth chart, I thought he was overrated compared to the other 3.

CB: Li'l Antoine goes to the bottom of the depth chart as well.

S: Schulz over Vincent.

I struggled with the RB position a bit. I knew KD would be brought up. I just think KD had the advantage of a great offensive line, supporting cast and he also came in off the bench fresh after Thurman was done terrorizing defenses.

As far as the Flutie vs Bledsoe battle goes. I'd take DF over DB anyday of the week. Just like BuffOrange said, both had great defenses' but only one of them got us to the post season. Not once but twice. Playoff edge goes to Flutie.

I gotta admit. Schulz is better than Vincent at FS. I can't believe I forgot about him.

QB: Kelly, Bledsoe, Flutie

FB: Gash, Mueller

TE: Metzelaars, Riemersma, McKellar

OT: Wolford, Ballard, Parker, Fina, Jennings

G: Richter, Brown, Davis, Parker

DE: Smith, Schobel, Hansen, Wiley

OLB: Spikes, Bennett, Talley, Paup

MLB: Cowart, Fletcher, Spielman, Conlan

CB: Clements, , Odomes, Winfield, McGee, T.Smith

FS: Kelso, Schulz, Vincent

P: Moorman, Mohr

Talley over Paup due to longevity, same for Fletcher over Spielman.

58 Players plus 4 coaches.

What no Joe Ferguson and Joe Cribbs? They were playing the first time we made the playoffs, in '80, and actually won a playoff game, in '81, in my lifetime. Of course I was only six. My mom was so happy I thought she was gonna pee herself, cause that's what I did when I was...wait, nevermind.

What no Joe Ferguson and Joe Cribbs? They were playing the first time we made the playoffs, in '80, and actually won a playoff game, in '81, in my lifetime. Of course I was only six. My mom was so happy I thought she was gonna pee herself, cause that's what I did when I was...wait, nevermind.

723673[/snapback]

The question was the past 15 years. So 1990-91 is the cutoff.

Otherwise you add Fergy, Cribbs, Butler, and a more.

FB add Larry Centers

OT add Fina

OG add Parker

SS add Schulz

DE add Wiley

Delete...

QB Reich(he played well for the bills but he was a backup)

TE Riemersma

DE Jeffcoat

SS Milloy

FS Vincent

I know this is going to drive the Flutopians and anti-Bledsoes nuts, but I think a strong case can be made that Bledsoe was better than Flutie. Both were here for 3 seasons.  Flutie played for a team with a much better defense. 

Bledsoe started every game, 48 total in 3 years and was never injured enough to miss a start.  Flutie started 30 games in his 3 seasons and missed the 1st 4 games of the 2000 season due to injury. 

Both had about 1/2 a season of greatness their 1st year with the Bills and then fizzled.  Each made the Pro Bowl as a result of his 1/2  of a great season. 

Flutie may have been more popular with fans and was a good example of style over substance, but the better QB, with the Bills, pre-Bills and post-Bills is Bledsoe.  With Flutie's teams D, Bledsoe might have been able to win a playoff game, something Flutie never did.

723545[/snapback]

Aye, I pretty much agree completely with all that.

Our OL was so bad that when Flutie came in to relieve the injured Rob Johnson at the game in San Diego his scrambling ability really helped got the offence moving, something RJ wasn't good at. With RJ's style, no way he'd succeed with an OL that bad.

Eventually defences caught on to Flutie's style and the novelty wore off. His height was a definite factor also, as I can't even begin to count the amount of passes that wore batted down and blocked the longer he held that QB position. His arm strength also weakened severely during that time and that also cost us.

His remark that we would've won that playoff game at Tennessee really pissed me off. RJ was fine in that game which was lost solely by special teams and our players being dense by NOT staying in their lanes.

Bledsoe was awsome in his initial season, but then Peerless Price's ego got inflated after that great season he had that year and that breaking up of that chemistry on offence along with the regression of our OL really led to the decline of the oh so immobile Drew. He was aided by the double-coverage and sometime triple-coverage on Eric Moulds.

Drew was on a total roll his last season with us after that horrid start, but his performance against the STEELERS 2nd team in the season finale closed the books on him. That was a great winning streak we had that season going into the final game.

NO WAY Flutie can be ranked ahead of Drew. Someone is having' a definite laff with that one, lol

:)

723673[/snapback]

Fergie was solid in '80, '81, '82 ... had some bad luck, getting injured in the playoff game at Cincinnati, and another great performance in the playoff game in San Diego that the defence blew in the closing minutes by giving up that 46 yard TD pass to Ron Smith.

It was him tho', that had a major influence in us changed the white helmets to red, as he said he could see his receivers better and throw less interceptions.

1st season in the red helmets all he does is throw a career high number of interceptions, and we're stull stuck with them helmets.

Bring back the White with the gray facemask please ! :)

Aye, I pretty much agree completely with all that.

Our OL was so bad that when Flutie came in to relieve the injured Rob Johnson at the game in San Diego his scrambling ability really helped got the offence moving, something RJ wasn't good at. With RJ's style, no way he'd succeed with an OL that bad.

Eventually defences caught on to Flutie's style and the novelty wore off. His height was a definite factor also, as I can't even begin to count the amount of passes that wore batted down and blocked the longer he held that QB position. His arm strength also weakened severely during that time and that also cost us.

His remark that we would've won that playoff game at Tennessee really pissed me off. RJ was fine in that game which was lost solely by special teams and our players being dense by NOT staying in their lanes.

Bledsoe was awsome in his initial season, but then Peerless Price's ego got inflated after that great season he had that year and that breaking up of that chemistry on offence along with the regression of our OL really led to the decline of the oh so immobile Drew. He was aided by the double-coverage and sometime triple-coverage on Eric Moulds.

Drew was on a total roll his last season with us after that horrid start, but his performance against the STEELERS 2nd team in the season finale closed the books on him. That was a great winning streak we had that season going into the final game.

NO WAY Flutie can be ranked ahead of Drew. Someone is having' a definite laff with that one, lol

:)

724715[/snapback]

I would give the Midget's '98 season the edge over DB's '02 season just based on consistency. While DB's first half of '02 was great enough to compare favorably with any half season Kelly had, he simply tanked just about every game in the 2nd half save from the Miami snow game; and the defense which was pathetic early actually started to play pretty well in Nov/Dec.

Certainly the Midget's production dropped off in '99 and he was a huge benifactor of his defense and I agree that he wouldn't have won the Titans game. Still, his play that year was far better than Drew's in '03 and about equal to '04. I believe the 99/03/04 defenses were all about equal statistically, but the former 2 were lacking in takeaways & special teams. In terms of takeaways and Special Teams & field position, it's going to be tough to ever duplicate '04 which was a huge factor in our point production (and incidentally was one reason I wasn't so optimistic going into last year).

Basically, DF 98 = DB 02 and DF 99 = DB 04. Given that DB was God awful in 03 and DF hardly played in 00, I can't see how you don't give the tiebreaker to the Midget.