GO! Israel

The higher the cost of gasoline, the better for the environment!

Go go tree huggers!

Oddly, I find myself agreeing with you on this one. Cheap gas has led to a number of problems:

- People driving SUVs and light trucks, when they should be driving fuel-efficient cars.

- Poorly designed "car-only" cities. Basically any new growth city, such as Atlanta, Orlando, Los Angeles, etc., will be very spread out; preventing non-car transportation.

- Lack of effort into alternative means of transportation. For example, tax codes and other non-technological problems represent an unnecessary barrier to the creation of a maglev train network. With cheap gas, there's no incentive to eliminate these barriers.

I don't like expensive gas, because it disproportionately hurts lower wage earners. However, the U.S. has clearly shown that we're just too complacent and irresponsible to handle cheap gas.

I agree. I'd be willing to go up to $7 a gallon.

723994[/snapback]

ok,

but would you also be willing to pay a few dollars more for everything else too?

transportation costs play a large part in the final costs of things.

Oddly, I find myself agreeing with you on this one.  Cheap gas has led to a number of problems:

- People driving SUVs and light trucks, when they should be driving fuel-efficient cars.

- Poorly designed "car-only" cities.  Basically any new growth city, such as Atlanta, Orlando, Los Angeles, etc., will be very spread out; preventing non-car transportation.

- Lack of effort into alternative means of transportation.  For example, tax codes and other non-technological problems represent an unnecessary barrier to the creation of a maglev train network.  With cheap gas, there's no incentive to eliminate these barriers.

I don't like expensive gas, because it disproportionately hurts lower wage earners.  However, the U.S. has clearly shown that we're just too complacent and irresponsible to handle cheap gas.

724079[/snapback]

there are many problems in america that could be solved if we had a better engin in our cars.

but change rarely happens when there is no demand for it.

Israel can do what it wants, as long as it doesnt escalate to war with Iran. Thats when the sh-- would hit the fan.

723928[/snapback]

I say why not pop this festering zit now and get it over with. It’s just a matter of time before we go to war with Iran, why push this one onto our children. In a way I welcome a WW3, the world needs a cleansing soon. There is nothing like the horror of war to drive the blood lust out of people for a generation or two.

This is probably a terribly naive question, but why does the Middle East have so much control over the oil prices in the world when apparently they only produced 30% of the world's oil? I heard that figure last week, and don't know if it is true, but I had no reason to doubt the source.

This is probably a terribly naive question, but why does the Middle East have so much control over the oil prices in the world when apparently they only produced 30% of the world's oil? I heard that figure last week, and don't know if it is true, but I had no reason to doubt the source.

727833[/snapback]

At the moment, because of the thin margin between production and consumption. Makes the market more volitaile.

Which means that any major producer has a lot of control over oil prices (take any 4% of the production off the world market and prices will go through the roof). We just focus on Middle Eastern oil production for the same reason we fought to keep them out of our ports...

At the moment, because of the thin margin between production and consumption.  Makes the market more volitaile. 

Which means that any major producer has a lot of control over oil prices (take any 4% of the production off the world market and prices will go through the roof).  We just focus on Middle Eastern oil production for the same reason we fought to keep them out of our ports...

727844[/snapback]

If that were true, and again, I have no reason to doubt its validity, what is to stop the US from going to Venezuela, or some other country that produces 4-7% of the world's oil, and saying, "Hey, you guys cut oil prices, and we'll give you billions of aid, protect you, provide technology, help your kids, etc." and then have oil prices drop the huge amounts that they have risen?