I want to know about the poignant issues

never worry when people criticize you for pointing out errors in language. It's okay when individuals make mistakes in speech, but there's no excuse for words like "mediocrisy" in print. If you get paid to write, you should know there's no such word, and the editor should never let it get printed. Double errors, double the embarrassment, and cheers for pointing it out. Don't go changin'

Oh, and I think using "poignant" in that context is embarrassingly off the mark...give me a fuggin break...poignant football issues?

720134[/snapback]

If the guy turns on spell-checking on his Word document, he wouldn't even know.

Only the Penitent Man will Pass...Only the Penitent Man will Pass...Only the Penitent Man will Pass...

719918[/snapback]

I am the Muldrun Man, who hides behind a mask, now everyone can see.......

poignant is the right word!!!

No it isn't. Look closely at the definition you cite:

Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.

Neat, skillful, and to the point: poignant illustrations supplementing the text.

Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions.

Note that the word poignant applies to descriptions or illustrations of things, not to the things themselves. In this sense it's like the word eloquent. One can write about an eloquent description of a mountain, but not about an eloquent mountain. Had the original quote promised a poignant description of Bills-related issues, it would have been correct. But this wasn't what was written:

buffalobills.com will present each of the poignant issues facing the team daily

No it isn't.  Look closely at the definition you cite:

Note that the word poignant applies to descriptions or illustrations of things, not to the things themselves.  In this sense it's like the word eloquent.  One can write about an eloquent description of a mountain, but not about an eloquent mountain.  Had the original quote promised a poignant description of Bills-related issues, it would have been correct.  But this wasn't what was written:

720694[/snapback]

It took me a little to get my brain around that but you are 100% correct.

Ah, if only football issues were as straight forward as this.

Note that the word poignant applies to descriptions or illustrations of things, not to the things themselves.  In this sense it's like the word eloquent.  One can write about an eloquent description of a mountain, but not about an eloquent mountain.

720694[/snapback]

No - you are wrong...

"buffalobills.com will present each of the poignant issues facing the team"

taking from the piece you quoted from me:

"Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions."

Thus - in other words:

buffalobills.comn will present each of the astute and pertinent issues facing the team

or

buffalobills.comn will present each of the astute and pertinent relevant issues facing the team

in summary - the original gripe was wrong. you are wrong. I am right.

what's wrong with using a little subtlety in writing??

Thus - in other words:

buffalobills.comn will present each of the astute and pertinent issues facing the team

or

buffalobills.comn will present each of the astute and pertinent relevant issues facing the team

There's no error in describing an issue as pertinent. The error comes in when an issue is described as "astute." Someone's insight into an issue may be astute, but the issue itself cannot be.

Having or showing shrewdness and discernment, especially with respect to one's own concerns. See synonyms at shrewd.

(From http://www.answers.com/astute )

In other words:

buffalobills.com will present each of the shrewd, discerning, and pertinent issues facing the team

or

buffalobills.com will present each of the shrewd, discerning, and pertinent relevant issues facing the team

Clearly the above are wrong, and should read: buffalobills.com will present shrewd, discerning, and pertinent insights into the issues facing the team.

There's no error in describing an issue as pertinent. 

721213[/snapback]

I concede on astute.

but now we are squabbling over a definition of a definition.

how about poignant as "agreeably intense or stimulating". These issues are surely agreeably intense AND stimulating....

man i miss any real football conversations

721226[/snapback]

You and Holcomb are clearly the pick of the litter when it comes to dissecting the dictionary. I applaud your tenacity, and the wit with which you present your case. And I agree with your assessment.

However, I don't believe this guy meant to use that word. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

He made a mistake that turned out to be a non-mistake. Or a non-event. I am non-plussed by the nonsense of it all.

I concede on astute.

but now we are squabbling over a definition of a definition.

how about poignant as "agreeably intense or stimulating".  These issues are surely agreeably intense AND stimulating....

721223[/snapback]

You make a good point here. However, I'd never remembered seeing any real author using the word poignant in the way the buffalobills.com author did. To settle this issue once and for all, I broke out The Living Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language. This book is bigger than any book has the right to be, and its physical weight seems to lend weight to its words. Its definition of the word poignant is as follows:

poignant . . . from Latin pungere, pungo to prick.  Very painful or acute to the feelings; strong, piercing, or keen; pointed or precise; apt; moving or arousing the emotions; pungent

Let's break this down:

1. Very painful or acute to the feelings.

This is a far more appropriate definition than the author could have intended.

2. Strong, piercing, or keen.

Clearly not the definition the buffalobills.com author intended.

3.Pointed or precise

Not really a word for issues themselves, but for descriptions of issues.

4. Apt

Same objection as 3).

5. Moving or arousing the emotions.

I doubt this was what the author intended. Otherwise, we have, "buffalobills.com will present each of the moving, emotionally arousing issues facing the team." The most recent posting from buffalobills.com states, "While the best punt returner might prove to be Parrish, if Smith and Williams are on the roster, April is sure to have some other tricks up his sleeve to utilize them during the season." This issue is neither moving nor emotionally arousing. :w00t:

6. Pungent

No comment.

Well, I wrote to the guy, and asked him exactly what he meant. Here is his response:

Wow, an argument over the use of the word poignant. You guys have way too much time on your hands (chuckling).

I'll admit I was looking to use it in less of the somber emotional sense (although I'm sure some of you are moved to tears about the QB situation) and more the zesty and spicy sense. However, now that I think about it the stirring emotional definition could work too. The issues that get Bills fans stirred up, issues that move them to actively think about what could happen with the team.

Using pertinent is too easy. I don't make things easy on myself believe me.

Now I'll never claim to hold any form of mastery over the English language. My English teacher used to kill me over commas, and grammar, but I'm usually dead on with spelling and have worked my way around a metaphor a time or two.

Hope that settles the argument, whatever it was.

See you folks at camp, well maybe not you Tom unless you're making one hell of a road trip to camp!

C. Brown

So. there you have it. By poignant, he meant zesty and spicy. Noted.

Well, I wrote to the guy, and asked him exactly what he meant.  Here is his response:

Wow, an argument over the use of the word poignant. You guys have way too much time on your hands (chuckling).

I'll admit I was looking to use it in less of the somber emotional sense (although I'm sure some of you are moved to tears about the QB situation) and more the zesty and spicy sense. However, now that I think about it the stirring emotional definition could work too. The issues that get Bills fans stirred up, issues that move them to actively think about what could happen with the team.

Using pertinent is too easy. I don't make things easy on myself believe me.

Now I'll never claim to hold any form of mastery over the English language. My English teacher used to kill me over commas, and grammar, but I'm usually dead on with spelling and have worked my way around a metaphor a time or two.

Hope that settles the argument, whatever it was.

See you folks at camp, well maybe not you Tom unless you're making one hell of a road trip to camp!

C. Brown

So. there you have it.  By poignant, he meant zesty and spicy.  Noted.

721620[/snapback]

Wow, that's a lot of effort you've gone to to prove a point.

I applaud you for attempting to make the off-season more poignant. :w00t:

Well, I wrote to the guy, and asked him exactly what he meant.  Here is his response:

Thanks to you, and to Nick, for making my life more interesting, and for having an intelligent discussion without turning things into a shouting match. I wish more conversations on TSW were like this.

Thanks to you, and to Nick, for making my life more interesting, and for having an intelligent discussion without turning things into a shouting match.  I wish more conversations on TSW were like this.

721736[/snapback]

Yes. I feel we could get a lot more out of conversations of this nature in future.

How poignant.

No - you are wrong...

"buffalobills.com will present each of the poignant issues facing the team"

taking from the piece you quoted from me:

"Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions."

Thus - in other words:

or

in summary - the original gripe was wrong. you are wrong. I am right.

what's wrong with using a little subtlety in writing??

721159[/snapback]

There is no poignancy in football and we're damn short on astuteness as well. Now all you fuggers quit picking nits and splitting hais! :w00t:

You make a good point here.  However, I'd never remembered seeing any real author using the word poignant in the way the buffalobills.com author did.  To settle this issue once and for all, I broke out The Living Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language.  This book is bigger than any book has the right to be, and its physical weight seems to lend weight to its words.  Its definition of the word poignant is as follows:

Let's break this down:

1. Very painful or acute to the feelings.

This is a far more appropriate definition than the author could have intended.

2. Strong, piercing, or keen.

Clearly not the definition the buffalobills.com author intended.

3.Pointed or precise

Not really a word for issues themselves, but for descriptions of issues.

4. Apt

Same objection as 3).

5. Moving or arousing the emotions.

I doubt this was what the author intended.  Otherwise, we have, "buffalobills.com will present each of the moving, emotionally arousing issues facing the team."  The most recent posting from buffalobills.com states, "While the best punt returner might prove to be Parrish, if Smith and Williams are on the roster, April is sure to have some other tricks up his sleeve to utilize them during the season."  This issue is neither moving nor emotionally arousing.  :w00t:

6. Pungent

No comment.

721566[/snapback]

It still doesn't make up for the fact Willis is lazy and Bledsoe sucks