I want to know about the poignant issues

According to the lead-in to today's story about the WR position, buffalobills.com will present each of the poignant issues facing the team daily in an effort to have you the fan primed for all the action at St. John Fisher. Don't stray far from buffalobills.com!

I am wondering, what is today's poignant issue? Whether or not Peerless feels deep in his heart that his destiny is to be the number 2 receiver?

Any other issues of poignancy today?

Poignant, pertinent, pregnant, penitent, ... whatever.

719852[/snapback]

I don't understand why people take our language so casually. Last week I posted on the Blues web page that the GM of the Blues had said, on the news, that he would not "settle for mediocrasy." That ain't even a word!! I got trashed on that board for criticizing.

This guy at buffalobills.com is trying to be impressive, but poignant is not the right word.

Only the Penitent Man will Pass...Only the Penitent Man will Pass...Only the Penitent Man will Pass...

719918[/snapback]

awesome scene....awesome flick....soon-to-be rekindled!

I don't understand why people take our language so casually.  Last week I posted on the Blues web page that the GM of the Blues had said, on the news, that he would not "settle for mediocrasy."  That ain't even a word!!  I got trashed on that board for criticizing.

This guy at buffalobills.com is trying to be impressive, but poignant is not the right word.

719910[/snapback]

Drop it.

Surfers don't know (yet alone care about) the difference between: to, two, too; there, their, they're; then, than; four, fore, for; weather, whether; you, youse, ewe; its, it's; and resigned, re-signed.

It's hopeless to rail against improper word use. Please don't mention spelling either. "Of course," it's simply a case of "typing too fast" or "fat fingers." TBD - where some of the fattest fingers on the Internet are busily at work and on display daily. :D

719771[/snapback]

The main one I think would be whether to combine Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan with the ISAF UN Mission in the south of the country to rebuild it. I'd say that's the most poignant issue today...

poignant is the right word!!!

http://www.answers.com/poignant&r=67

720086[/snapback]

Nick, let's be fair about this. You did not include the entire definition, which illustrates the poignant point of the word. here's what it says:

Profoundly moving; touching: a poignant memory. See synonyms at moving.

Physically painful: “Keen, poignant agonies seemed to shoot from his neck downward” (Ambrose Bierce).

Keenly distressing to the mind or feelings: poignant anxiety.

Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.

Neat, skillful, and to the point: poignant illustrations supplementing the text.

Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions.

Agreeably intense or stimulating: poignant delight.

Archaic.

Sharp or sour to the taste; piquant.

Sharp or pungent to the smell.

You have to get to the third definition of that word to make it apply here. Methinks the guy just picked the wrong word, rather than using the 3rd most common definition.

When they call "Ernest Goes to Camp" a poignant love story, they mean that it is a touching, moving love story between Ernest and his counselor. And physically painful, because the subtext is "Ernest Loses His Cherry." and you'd probably have to scroll down to the 3rd or 4th definition of the word Cherry to find its application here. And the poignancy is probably sharp or sour to the taste as well.

I don't understand why people take our language so casually.  Last week I posted on the Blues web page that the GM of the Blues had said, on the news, that he would not "settle for mediocrasy."  That ain't even a word!!  I got trashed on that board for criticizing.

719910[/snapback]

never worry when people criticize you for pointing out errors in language. It's okay when individuals make mistakes in speech, but there's no excuse for words like "mediocrisy" in print. If you get paid to write, you should know there's no such word, and the editor should never let it get printed. Double errors, double the embarrassment, and cheers for pointing it out. Don't go changin'

Oh, and I think using "poignant" in that context is embarrassingly off the mark...give me a fuggin break...poignant football issues?

According to the lead-in to today's story about the WR position, buffalobills.com will present each of the poignant issues facing the team daily in an effort to have you the fan primed for all the action at St. John Fisher. Don't stray far from buffalobills.com!

I am wondering, what is today's poignant issue?  Whether or not Peerless feels deep in his heart that his destiny is to be the number 2 receiver?

719771[/snapback]

Poignant?

You have to get to the third definition of that word to make it apply here.  Methinks the guy just picked the wrong word, rather than using the 3rd most common definition.

720129[/snapback]

What does that have to do with anything? It's a proper definition is all that matters.

To wit, what about 'icing'?

- stuff on a plane

- stuff on a cake

- a call in hockey

Is one definition/usage of the word more acceptable than another b/c of its arbitrary order in the dictionary?

Nick, let's be fair about this.  You did not include the entire definition, which illustrates the poignant point of the word.  here's what it says:

Profoundly moving; touching: a poignant memory. See synonyms at moving.

Physically painful: “Keen, poignant agonies seemed to shoot from his neck downward” (Ambrose Bierce).

Keenly distressing to the mind or feelings: poignant anxiety.

Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.

Neat, skillful, and to the point: poignant illustrations supplementing the text.

Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions.

Agreeably intense or stimulating: poignant delight.

Archaic.

Sharp or sour to the taste; piquant.

Sharp or pungent to the smell.

You have to get to the third definition of that word to make it apply here.  Methinks the guy just picked the wrong word, rather than using the 3rd most common definition.

When they call "Ernest Goes to Camp" a poignant love story, they mean that it is a touching, moving love story between Ernest and his counselor.  And physically painful, because the subtext is "Ernest Loses His Cherry."  and you'd probably have to scroll down to the 3rd or 4th definition of the word Cherry to find its application here.  And the poignancy is probably sharp or sour to the taste as well.

720129[/snapback]

I agree, using the definition not given as number 1. at the top would be terrible. :devil:

http://www.answers.com/topic/terrible

What does that have to do with anything? It's a proper definition is all that matters.

To wit, what about 'icing'?

- stuff on a plane

- stuff on a cake

- a call in hockey

Is one definition/usage of the word more acceptable than another b/c of its arbitrary order in the dictionary?

720230[/snapback]

When you are writing for the masses, you should use the common meaning of the term, lest you have people scurrying about for a dictionary.

The order in the dictionary is not arbitrary. They list meanings in order of common use.

Go to a Thesauras and enter the word. Here's what you get:

1. Exciting a deep, usually somber response: affecting, impressive, moving, stirring, touching. See TOUCH. 2. Archaic. Affecting the organs of taste or smell with a strong and often harsh sensation: piquant, pungent, sharp, spicy, zesty. See SMELLS, TASTE.

No mention of football there.

Look, obviously you guys don't get my point. The guy did not mean to use that word. If he was correct, it was not intentional. I'll write him and ask him what he meant.

People make mistakes. I was trying to inject a little humor into a dull day. Sorry.

When you are writing for the masses, you should use the common meaning of the term, lest you have people scurrying about for a dictionary.

720255[/snapback]

Could you send a memo to the Hartford Courant?

They've been using 'zeitgeist' about 15 times a week.