Joe Bonamassa Concert

rockpile

Bands on the Bricks concert series - starts around 7:30

Concert is free, beer is not.

Also with Chris Duarte link who I have heard a lot about but have not seen. He is compared to Stevie Ray and Coltrane. I am not sure WHO is the headliner.

At ten, Joe began performing at local venues and at twelve, he was asked to open for B. B. King. The blues legend, after hearing Joe play for the first time, declared, "This kid's potential is unbelievable. He hasn't even begun to scratch the surface. He's one of a kind." King's high regard for Joe would be echoed by other guitar greats the young performer would go on to work with, including Buddy Guy, Danny Gatton, Robert Cray and Stephen Stills.

Bonamassa home page - live in Germany performance video (watch your sound at work!)

I saw him about two years back and his version of Tull's 'New Day Yesterday' was freaking amazing! :D

Ted Nugent played an impromptu blues jam at the club on Feb. 25. Here's what he had to say about it, "Last night, my musical jihad grew even more hair on its scrotum, because I got to jam onstage, no band, just a couple of Les Pauls and a kid named Joe Bonamassa, a white kid from New York. It was just us onstage, and this little white prick, and this older white prick, continued to pretend we weren't, in fact, white at all. This kid deserves to be in the same class with Stevie Ray !@#$ing Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. It was really inspiring. So this kid and I had maybe 40 minutes of exchanges of notes that don't exist, guitar sounds that are brand new, and soul and emotion that can only go back into the glow of the B.B./Albert/Freddy King world."

Wow, that's some lineup for a free concert. Chris Duarte's excellent and Bonamassa's live shows usually tear the roof off (good thing its outdoors!)

I went to Robin Trower's free concert in Tonawanda last weekend and now I've got to find a way to get to this gig. Do you know what time the opener goes on?

new musicians? smokin joey's been playing for a long time now, don't let his young age fool you, he was a 13(?) year old phenom way back when

good stuff!  Its great that new musicians are still playing the blues and jazz-  there is not much money in it

719764[/snapback]

"Smokin' Joe" - came around at the forefront of a crop of young blues/rock guitarists like Derek Trucks (nephew of Butch), Jonny Lang...

Duarte - Constantly battling to get out of the "SRV Clone" syndrome common for Austin blues/rock artists...

Chris at least used to play quite LOUD, so be "warned..."

Yeah, I know, if it's too loud...

Wow, that's some lineup for a free concert.  Chris Duarte's excellent and Bonamassa's live shows usually tear the roof off (good thing its outdoors!)

I went to Robin Trower's free concert in Tonawanda last weekend and now I've got to find a way to get to this gig.  Do you know what time the opener goes on?

719856[/snapback]

At free shows in Rochester I have seen Bonamassa, Marshall Tucker, The Crash Test Dummies, Dickie Betts, Taj Mahal (3 times), Leon Russell (3 times), North Mississippi All Stars, Koko Taylor, and others.

I am a bit disappointed that they moved from Manhattan Square Park to The High Falls for many of the shows. The Public Market is in the center of the "hood" but is cool. Never had any problems there. I love being ten minutes away from downtown.

As far as "new" musicians doing blues and jazz, Pooj, I think he was just saying it was great that the traditions continue with younger musicians, even if there is not big dollars in it, like frickin American Idol pap. These guys do it because it is in their blood.

When I last saw Bonnamassa, his MOM was selling his CD's at the show. :D I remember him being on WCMF with Brother Wease when he was TWELVE. The kid is fast!

As far as "new" musicians doing blues and jazz, Pooj, I think he was just saying it was great that the traditions continue with younger musicians, even if there is not big dollars in it, like frickin American Idol pap. These guys do it because it is in their blood.

719963[/snapback]

Exactly! Jazz and Blues are 100% American and one of our greatest gifts to the world IMO

"Smokin' Joe" - came around at the forefront of a crop of young blues/rock guitarists like Derek Trucks (nephew of Butch), Jonny Lang...

Duarte - Constantly battling to get out of the "SRV Clone" syndrome common for Austin blues/rock artists...

Chris at least used to play quite LOUD, so be "warned..."

Yeah, I know, if it's too loud...

719887[/snapback]

Did not see too much of Joe Bonamassa. We did not get there until 8:00 and he was done before 8:30. ;)

Duarte started off his show, no better than a local club bar band. He would have been better off doing covers of other bands. A lot of people packed up in the first half hour of his show.

Then he started cooking with some really long leads that were excellent that woke up the crowd. Really fine, loud, electric blues - but he waited too long to cook!

Bonamassa should have been the featured band not the intro.

A really nice night to be sitting outside listening to southern rock/blues and sipping drafts, though.

It was not REAL loud. :D