Most Overratted player

Guys get over fumble problems. At least some guys. It would be extremely hard, IMO, to watch Tiki Barber play a lot the last two years and say he wasn't one of the best RBs in the league. Outside of Shaun Alexander, Barber has probably been THE best. And yes, at least as good and likely better than LT, who is great, too. But Barber has been tremendous.

And that receiving comment about Gates and McCardell is just plain foolish. Why didn't you say his receiving stats of 2003 and 2002were lopsided because of a lack of a receiving TE and WR. Except for David Boston for one year, the Chargers WRs were the worst in the entire league. They HAD to throw to LT.

If you want to talk the last four years, one would probably say LT overall. If one would take the last two years, it's close, but I would say Barber was better. Who would you want right now? Very likely LT because he is younger. But I have serious worries that LT has been beaten up and may not be the player that he was. That is just an opinion and he could easily have his best season. It just seems to me over the course of the last year the little nicks and turns have taken something out of him (not counting the regular injury he had)

719652[/snapback]

Your point is well taken, but there is a difference from the touches LT and TB have had recieving wise. Having better receiving targets to go to is not foolish. NY just has a lack of revieving options. Thats why there is a decline in LTs recieving stats and a one year boost in TB. Secondly guys do get over fumbles but fans dont, especially costly ones. I will admit that TB has gotten alot better in holding on to the ball.

I do not deny that Barber has been great the past 2 years, but could that be due to having shady recievers and a rookie QB, to me that means he has to shoulder the load, which he did. Hense more touches= more yards.

As for running backs taking nicks and bumps it comes with the territory, LT is a gamer and is better than TB. I am not saying it is a wide margin but he is better.

This is a matter of opinion and they are both great RB's.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as most overrated player.......Tedi Bruschi.

719405[/snapback]

Take that back NOW, say 20 Hail Marys and 10 Rosarys and you MIGHT just save your soul from eternal damnation.

NEVER, EVER, speak ill against our lord and savior (don't even make me recount how he died for our sins)...

Truthfully, I picked him off the top of my head. Was he even voted MVP one season?

Imo Pace, Faulk, Bruce and others were more valuable to that team, let alone the entire league.

719597[/snapback]

I believe he won it twice in both their SB years (Faulk won it in between).

Faulk was clearly the best player on the team. Bruce & Pace were great players; there is no way they were more valuable to that team than Warner. Just watch some of those games - I don't care how good his supporting cast was - he could take a hit and deliver 35 yards downfield with sick accuracy. You can't just throw any QB into that system. He was Marinoesque for those few years.

Certain quarterbacks don't belong in this discussion. Roethlisberger I could sort of see, because of his poor play in the playoffs during his rookie year, and his poor play in the Super Bowl his second year. But overall, his career stats are good. His career QB rating is 98.3, and his career yards per attempt is a stellar 8.89. To put those numbers into perspective, Drew Bledsoe's career passer rating is 77.3, and his career yards per attempt is 6.64.

Warner's numbers for the last two years aren't as good as Roethlisberger's. Then again, Warner wasn't surrounded by as much talent. But even playing behind makeshift lines in NY and Arizona, Warner still achieved ratings of 86.5 and 85.8 the last two years, with 7.42 and 7.23 yards per attempt. Not stellar, but significantly better than Bledsoe. For his career, Warner's QB rating is a very good 94.1, while he's averaged 8.21 yards per attempt. To put this latter number into perspective, each Warner pass attempt produced, on average, over 23% more yards than each Bledsoe pass attempt.

McNabb's career passer rating is a good 84.1, but this may be a function of throwing a lot of short, high percentage passes. His career yards per attempt is 6.64; significantly worse than Roethlisberger's or Warner's.