Assessment

eSJayDee

This being a holiday weekend, I'm probably not gonna get much response, but this is as much to vent as to seek advice.

Our town (Bethlehem, outside of Albany) has just done a re-assessment of properties supposedly reflecting their actual value.

My house had been assessed at $122k (the price less incentives that I paid for it in '92). Had you asked me a few months ago how much it was worth, I would've guestimated ~$180k. After some informal research, I believe $200k is more accurate. It's assessed at $233k! :rolleyes:

I had an 'informal meeting' w/ the assessor where I presented evidence; about 6 weeks later I get a letter indicating the assessment will remain the same.

So I then file a formal grievance, after paying for a professional appraisal. That appraisal came in at $186k (When are you happy when someone tells you what you have isn't worth much? :)). Coupled w/ the fact that the house that the appraisal that my mortgage was based on & sold months b4 my house in '92 (& is VERY similar to my house) got it's assessment LOWERED from $190k to $158k during the informal process, I was quite hopeful of having it successfully lowered.

No dice. Still $233k :pirate:

Apparently, you still have the option of going through like small claims court (although, as far as I'm concerned, this amounts to a SERIOUS amount of money, probably about $1000 /year).

I just can't see how they justify this & was wondering how they derive their values and just how willing they are to change their assessments.

p.s. Anyone wanna buy a house w/ high taxes for $233k?

This being a holiday weekend, I'm probably not gonna get much response, but this is as much to vent as to seek advice.

Our town (Bethlehem, outside of Albany) has just done a re-assessment of properties supposedly reflecting their actual value.

My house had been assessed at $122k (the price less incentives that I paid for it in '92).  Had you asked me a few months ago how much it was worth, I would've guestimated ~$180k.  After some informal research, I believe $200k is more accurate.  It's assessed at $233k! :pirate:

I had an 'informal meeting' w/ the assessor where I presented evidence; about 6 weeks later I get a letter indicating the assessment will remain the same.

So I then file a formal grievance, after paying for a professional appraisal.  That appraisal came in at $186k (When are you happy when someone tells you what you have isn't worth much? :lol:).  Coupled w/ the fact that the house that the appraisal that my mortgage was based on & sold months b4 my house in '92 (& is VERY similar to my house) got it's assessment LOWERED from $190k to $158k during the informal process, I was quite hopeful of having it successfully lowered.

No dice.  Still $233k :)

Apparently, you still have the option of going through like small claims court (although, as far as I'm concerned, this amounts to a SERIOUS amount of money, probably about $1000 /year).

I just can't see how they justify this & was wondering how they derive their values and just how willing they are to change their assessments.

717233[/snapback]

I hate to say this but City revenue folk have realized that the huge growth in the housing bubble means more taxes for the local governments.... Every house in my City (CHILI) has been reappraised... Every house appraisal is at least 30K higher then it was 2 years ago. Which is great for older folks who want to move out of this God Forsaken State! Sucks for us younger folks who are trying to raise our families here. :rolleyes:

Why am I not surprised the NY is the place where houses are overvalued by the government assessors? My houses have traditionally been undervalued by at least 20% and usually more.

You should put offer to sell your house to the assessor - obviously he really likes it. A-hole.

I feel your frustration! Having done the same thing myself, even if you had been successful, they would have come back at you the next year and it would be the same old sh*t all over again.

Taxes are the one thing that keeps me from moving back to WNY, but the politicians and assessors just don't get it! :o

Have ya tried white out??????

My house had been assessed at $122k (the price less incentives that I paid for it in '92).  Had you asked me a few months ago how much it was worth, I would've guestimated ~$180k.  After some informal research, I believe $200k is more accurate.  It's assessed at $233k! :o

So I then file a formal grievance, after paying for a professional appraisal.  That appraisal came in at $186k (When are you happy when someone tells you what you have isn't worth much? :o).  Coupled w/ the fact that the house that the appraisal that my mortgage was based on & sold months b4 my house in '92 (& is VERY similar to my house) got it's assessment LOWERED from $190k to $158k during the informal process, I was quite hopeful of having it successfully lowered.

No dice.  Still $233k :o

717233[/snapback]

you should have slipped him a benjamin.

That thought actually entered my mind. :o

I've subsequently learned that they did indeed lower a considerable # of properties, both during the informal and formal grievance procedures. So for some reason, they didn't like me and chose to put me through considerable stress, aggrevation, and expense.

The good news is that after spending the morning at Town Hall, we lowered my square footage by about 15% and reclassified my house from Contemporary to Cape Cod.

I brought the sq ftage issue up at the informal process (but w/o substantiating facts other than me telling him his figures were wrong) and during the formal grievance (W/ measurements and diagrams from the appraisal), but for some reason, they chose to ignore that.

Now it's onto Small Claims Court, after filing 9 COPIES of the form along w/ supporting documentation, which could easily amount to 300 PAGES!

Beauracracy at its finest. :o

That thought actually entered my mind. :o

717761[/snapback]

You should have had a sister get a job in the assessor's office. Or have a cousin who's a mucky muck at Town Hall.

You know that those who are 'connected' are not being assessed at anywhere near FMV, much less north of that.

Government corruptions exists at all levels.

The first house that I bought was in Oklahoma City in the late 80's. I paid $76k and they assessed it at $105k. I went to the hearing and asked how they could assess it for more than it was worth as it wasn't a foreclosure or any kind of distressed sale.

They gave me some line of crap and said that they would adjust it to $90k. The next year they bumped it back to $105k. :o