Just how incompetant was last years coaches

Are the rest of you picking up on the little tidbits like I am on certain mistakes made by last years coaches.....

Kelsay - apparently the coaches asked him to beef up last year so that he could play inside as well as outside due to injuries.....WTF? If you take Kelsays quickness away at end then he basically has nothing because he doesn't have a lot of pass rushing moves.....He has shown back up at camp this year at his proper weight......

Magehee - wasn't he asked by the coaching staff to "bulk up" and now has shown up at camp much lighter?

Then there is the situation with Sam Adams....who has NEVER been confused with a run stopper and was more of a huge penetrating linemen who free lances.....and the coaches wanted to change that to?

I am starting to think that last years coaching staff was grossly incompetant in some areas.....this team may be a lot better then we think.

Speaking of Magehee I was listening to one of our Southern Californa radio stations yesterday and they were talking to Brian Cook (a PF for the NBA LA Lakers and he was talking about he was just recently on a paintball team with Willis along with some other sports celebs doing a paintball tournament for charity)

That Magehee certainly gets around

ML/DJ know what they are doing.

716911[/snapback]

And to expand on that, TD/GgggW/MM did not. While they have very low expectations from everyone, myself included, the Bills will do just fine this year. At the very least, our GM knows what it takes to build a winner. He may only know how to do it on the coaching side, but he's been there before. I hate the term "rebuilding year" but we do have to start somewhere. I'm very excited to see what this team, from the front office on, brings to the table starting at training camp.

I was just talking to a buddy today about how the really good coaches are the ones who figure out each player's natural talents and put them to use. MM and company, really TD too, opted to instead pick out a system and then try to mold the players they had into the types needed for the system. It seems to me Marv and Dick are taking the right track now -- evaluating who is on the roster, deciding who they want to keep, then picking the systems that best fit those left, then adding players who naturally fit the new systems. In all, I have nothing good to say about the Mularkey era. I am just glad he is gone and now a stinkin' fish.

Oh, and I'd think that after being around long enough to have 6,000+ posts, one would know our RB's last name.

I was just talking to a buddy today about how the really good coaches are the ones who figure out each player's natural talents and put them to use. MM and company, really TD too, opted to instead pick out a system and then try to mold the players they had into the types needed for the system. It seems to me Marv and Dick are taking the right track now -- evaluating who is on the roster, deciding who they want to keep, then picking the systems that best fit those left, then adding players who naturally fit the new systems. In all, I have nothing good to say about the Mularkey era. I am just glad he is gone and now a stinkin' fish.

Oh, and I'd think that after being around long enough to have 6,000+ posts, one would know our RB's last name.

716960[/snapback]

I don't think they picked the system due to the players they had remaining, I think they chose that system because it is something that the coaches are most familiar with and specialize in. They then evaluated who they have, let players go who didn't fir (instead of trying to make them fit), and drafted and signed players that fit the new schemes

716960[/snapback]

Everybody knows I cant spell worth a crap.....

.....I am starting to think that last years coaching staff was grossly incompetant in some areas.....this team may be a lot better then we think.....

716816[/snapback]

STARTING? :lol:

Are the rest of you  picking up on the little tidbits like I am on certain mistakes made by last years coaches.....

716816[/snapback]

Not to mention the apparent poisonous locker room atmosphere created by the mismanagement of personnel and dubious coaching decisions. Add to that that he and his defensive coordinator were feuding, he essentially demoted his offensive coordinator, had the owner undercutting his authority, etc. It's becoming clearer that he lost this team and was in over his head. At least it appears from the outside that the chemistry is coming back for this team.

It seems to me Marv and Dick are taking the right track now

716960[/snapback]

Personally, I think I will wait to see which systems they actually install before drawing the conclusion that they picked the right players for our systen.

There are guesses one can make right now about the system based upon the vague hints they have dropped (we definitely seem to be shifting from a zone blitz to a Cover 2 based on Jauron;s words, but there are very different versions of how you design and how you implement the design of the Cover 2. Likely the Cover 2 we run will be more life the Tampa 2 which Farell used in Jax, but we do not know and any conclusions drawm about our scheme within the broad hints given may be right but may be wrong).

In general, to some extent I hope Jaron and Marv are lieing or obfucscating in what they tell us because I would prefer that they lie to the enemy rather than tell us the truth.

Are the rest of you  picking up on the little tidbits like I am on certain mistakes made by last years coaches.....

Kelsay - apparently the coaches asked him to beef up last year so that he could play inside as well as outside due to injuries.....WTF?  If you take Kelsays quickness away at end then he basically has nothing because he doesn't have a lot of pass rushing moves.....He has shown back up at camp this year at his proper weight......

Magehee - wasn't he asked by the coaching staff to "bulk up" and now has shown up at camp much lighter?

Then there is the situation with Sam Adams....who has NEVER been confused with a run stopper and was more of a huge penetrating linemen who free lances.....and the coaches wanted to change that to?

I am starting to think that last years coaching staff was grossly incompetant in some areas.....this team may be a lot better then we think.

Speaking of Magehee I was listening to one of our Southern Californa radio stations yesterday and they were talking to Brian Cook (a PF for the NBA LA Lakers and he was talking about he was just recently on a paintball team with Willis along with some other sports celebs doing a paintball tournament for charity)

That Magehee certainly gets around

716816[/snapback]

Maybe the email to Bulk-up was accidentally Cc to Williams and Adams as well? Those pesky emails...

I don't think that the coaching staff was really that compitant mainly based on the fact that Mularkey fueled the qb controversey when he knew that the team was already ripped to shreds by the loss of Takeo and their losing record. The other factor is that the strength and conditioning team was terrible seeing as the year before there were very few injuries and this past year injuries were through the roof. We should have never let Rusty Jones, i think was his name, go to Chicago but instead the Bills were stupid and let him go. What do you know, the Bears made a playoff bid while the Bills struggled to a 5-11 record.

Final verdict, last years coaching squad didn't know sh-- about this team and i am not too sure that this years staff has anymore of a clue.

I don't think that the coaching staff was really that compitant mainly based on the fact that Mularkey fueled the qb controversey when he knew that the team was already ripped to shreds by the loss of Takeo and their losing record. The other factor is that the strength and conditioning team was terrible seeing as the year before there were very few injuries and this past year injuries were through the roof. We should have never let Rusty Jones, i think was his name, go to Chicago but instead the Bills were stupid and let him go. What do you know, the Bears made a playoff bid while the Bills struggled to a 5-11 record.

Final verdict, last years coaching squad didn't know sh-- about this team and i am not too sure that this years staff has anymore of a clue.

717373[/snapback]

I don't put much credence in the theory that the change in the conditioninh coach had such immediate impacts on the level or severity of the injuries sustained. I'm not saying this was a good change as I think Rusty Jones had put in place a method which had produced some benefits for the Bills in terms of weight control and conditioning.

However, a key to the success of the Jones method was the recognition that eating is not about diets and short-term activities but about eating as a lifestyle which takes time to learn and implement good habits and builds results which can last a lifetime and needs to be committed to on a consistent basis.

Just as I do not think that instantaneous results or a panacea is offered by the Jones style, i do not think that one would see instant destruction from the team going away from it.

I think it was a bad move to let Rusty go and it appeared that MM put more of a value on getting "his" guy in rather than sticking with what had worked for numerous coaches. However, drawing some straight line between the Bills strentgth and condidtioning and the results on the field in terms of W/L is simply not borne out by our W/L being bad and better under Jones.

Concluding also that there would be such a fast turn around in results also seems quite unlikely. Particularly if one is gonna point to traumatic injuries like TKO's as a proof. If there were proof of this theory to found it would more likely be seen in an increase in nagging injuries due to poor conditioning rather than traumatic injuries.

I don't put much credence in the theory that the change in the conditioninh coach had such immediate impacts on the level or severity of the injuries sustained.  I'm not saying this was a good change as I think Rusty Jones had put in place a method which had produced some benefits for the Bills in terms of weight control and conditioning.

However, a key to the success of the Jones method was the recognition that eating is not about diets and short-term activities but about eating as a lifestyle which takes time to learn and implement good habits and builds results which can last a lifetime and needs to be committed to on a consistent basis.

Just as I do not think that instantaneous results or a panacea is offered by the Jones style, i do not think that one would see instant destruction from the team going away from it.

I think it was a bad move to let Rusty go and it appeared that MM put more of a value on getting "his" guy in rather than sticking with what had worked for numerous coaches.  However, drawing some straight line between the Bills strentgth and condidtioning and the results on the field in terms of W/L is simply not borne out by our W/L being bad and better under Jones.

Concluding also that there would be such a fast turn around in results also seems quite unlikely.  Particularly if one is gonna point to traumatic injuries like TKO's as a proof.    If there were proof of this theory to found it would more likely be seen in an increase in nagging injuries due to poor conditioning rather than traumatic injuries.

717465[/snapback]

The team last year was poorly conditioned and it showed on the field.

Out of shape players suffer muscle injuries (not TKO) but plenty of others

I think it was a combination of everything....

1. Poor coaching

2. Poor play calling

3. Poor player administration

4. Poor PLays by the Players...

We cannot give the players a free ride on this.....

Moulds and bunch of veterans whined and never supported their young QB

THe OL sucked. Never could Pass block and later they also stopped run blocking

The QBs played below average...One threw inconsitent passes, the other

threw immaterial 2 yard passes....

THe Defense couldn't stop the Run

The defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd and long repeatedly

The defense couldn't hold on goaline situations.

The ball just did not bounce our way.....How often do you see a team score

4 TDs in the final 8 minutes to beat you 5 seconds to go, especially with a

backup QB....The last I checked something even close to it was in 1993.

Oh dont get me wrong I am not letting the players off the hook by any means...

but

It just bothers me when I hear about players being told to do things that would take AWAY from their productivity.....

For instance....I dont understand the philosophy under ANY circumstances to be told to "bulk up" when your strengths are speed and quickness......

If a player relies on speed and quickness then they should show up at camp as absolutely as fast and as quick as possible.....