Who is...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOM BRADY

715018[/snapback]

Bingo.

Slightly better than average system QB with padded dink and dunk stats who was lucky enough to play on a team that was good for about 18 months. They played in the worst division in football last year, and beat only 4 teams with winning records. Brady also has a tendency (three times in eleven games) to throw endzone INTs at critical times in playoff games, most notably against Denver this past season when his INT in the endzone was the single-most crucial play of the entire game. An INT in the endzone is a spectacular blunder in a playoff game on the road, especially when the guy throwing it is erroneously considered a clutch player.

No top 5 defense to bail him out and he's as mediocre as they get.

No Vinetieri and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

TOM BRADY

715018[/snapback]

Anybody who says Brady is just hating; just got to give him credit. Some might try to compare him to Aikman who rode behind one of the best OL and running games to 3 championships but Brady carried that team with his arm when he had to as they never had a dominant running game (Antwain Smith); something Aikman could never do for once you shut Emmit down you shut the Cowboys down. Now currently Vick gets my nod hands down for besides his 1st year when he flashed potential, he has been stuck in neutral as far as progress goes and all his people make all excuses for his sucky passing.

here is my issue:

you can't name very good players and say they are the most overrated. they are still great.

a bad player who is spoken of as OK or good is more over rated than a great player who is spoken off as being the best.

charles woodson is over rated, reay lewis is over rated now (he was great before but the d he is on now was top 5 without him AND ed reed!!)

that said i'd have to say bruschi is the most over rated. he was the worst LB on the pats last season except for maybe chad and getting comeback player of the year is an effing joke

I don't get why that is funny

Here's why:

Bingo.

Slightly better than average system QB with padded dink and dunk stats who was lucky enough to play on a team that was good for about 18 months.  They played in the worst division in football last year, and beat only 4 teams with winning records.  Brady also has a tendency (three times in eleven games) to throw endzone INTs at critical times in playoff games, most notably against Denver this past season when his INT in the endzone was the single-most crucial play of the entire game.  An INT in the endzone is a spectacular blunder in a playoff game on the road, especially when the guy throwing it is erroneously considered a clutch player. 

Absurdity born of ignorance and contempt. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Bingo.

Slightly better than average system QB with padded dink and dunk stats who was lucky enough to play on a team that was good for about 18 months.  They played in the worst division in football last year, and beat only 4 teams with winning records.  Brady also has a tendency (three times in eleven games) to throw endzone INTs at critical times in playoff games, most notably against Denver this past season when his INT in the endzone was the single-most crucial play of the entire game.  An INT in the endzone is a spectacular blunder in a playoff game on the road, especially when the guy throwing it is erroneously considered a clutch player. 

715212[/snapback]

He did the same thing in the SB vs. the Panthers.

New England marched to the Panthers’ 9 with the ensuing kickoff, but Reggie Howard intercepted Brady’s third-and-goal pass in the end zone. Two plays later, Delhomme rolled left and fired a Super-Bowl record 85-yard touchdown pass to Muhammad for a 22-21 lead with 6:53 left.

Coincidence?

He did the same thing in the SB vs. the Panthers.

That was referenced in Johnny Coli's post:

Brady also has a tendency (three times in eleven games) to throw endzone INTs at critical times in playoff games...

But if we're talking about Brady's playoff trends, I think the most important is that he's led his team to wins in 10 of 11 games.

That was referenced in Johnny Coli's post:

But if we're talking about Brady's playoff trends, I think the most important is that he's led his team to wins in 10 of 11 games.

715372[/snapback]

I wouldn't say "led", HD. I'd say he's damn lucky he was on a good team.

Let's say a running back fumbles the ball three times in eleven games. That running back would get the reputation of having poor hands. Let's say that running back fumbled the ball in the endzone three times in eleven games, not just at crucial times in playoff games, but in eleven regular season games. That running back would never be allowed to touch a football again. So, here we have the vastly overrated Tom Brady throwing three endzone picks in eleven playoff games. On two of those occasions his defense bails him out. Once is a mistake. Twice is bad luck. Three times is a pattern of incompetence.

Back in the 2001 season, Brady threw a single TD in the playoffs. One.

In 2002 the Pats didn't make the playoffs. So, he basically "led" them nowhere.

In the 2003 playoffs, Mr. Overrated threw two TDs in the playoff games leading up to the Superbowl, with the majority of the Pats' points coming off of Vinatieri's foot, or the Defense. In the SB, he did everything he could to throw that game away (as per LA's post), and was bailed out by Vinatieri and the defense yet again.

In the 2004 playoffs the defense completely shut down Manning in the snow, but Brady finally did have a better-than-average day at the office against a rookie-QB-led Steelers team the following week. Yes, he had two TDs against the Eagles in the SB, but, once again the game was won on the foot of Vinatieri.

Last year Brady "led" them to 3-8 against teams with winning records, but got to play in the abyssmal AFCE, thus stumbling into the playoffs.

There you go. He benefitted from playing on a team that was firing on all but one cylinder (him) for 18 months, and won in spite of Mr. Mediocrity.

I can't say Namath because he was as much an icon as he was a football player. He was probably second only to Ali in terms of that generation helping to make the Sports industry what it is today. Yes, I know that his stats (i.e. more career interceptions than TDs) are underwhelming for a figure of his stature.

For me, the all time most overrated has to be Dan Marino. He may boast all time career stats in virtually every passing category, but he was a far from complete quarterback -- and a terrible teammate. Marino apologists whine that he never had a running game. Well, that's true, but it was Marino's fault that they never had one. He always pouted at the notion of trying to establish one -- and when push came to shove he was willing to (at least on a subconscious level) give away the running plays at the line of scrimmage.

Currently, I'll go with Vick too, although he is so despised that maybe he can no longer be considered overrated.

In history? Bo Jackson. Remember how they used to talk about this guy for the 3 or 4 years he did play?

Now? I say it's Marc Bulger. I don't even think he's a legitimate starter. Look at who he has on his team to throw the ball to. Jamie Martin came in and and a couple of 300+ yard games last year on that team. Sheesh.

In history? Bo Jackson. Remember how they used to talk about this guy for the 3 or 4 years he did play?

715408[/snapback]

No Bo was legitimate for those 3-4 years; if he had concentrated on football full time and not get injured then he would have probaly had a 2000 yard season plus been a top 10 all time RB; I mean come one he rush for 1000 yard season playing half the games without any training camp to prepare him for the season.

I was just kidding about Bo. I was seeing who would be the first to flip out on that one. I think he was actually on the road to maybe being HOF in 2 sports. Baseball and Football.

I honestly think that the most overrated player of all time though was Brian Bosworth. He was from the same era as Bo, but it was obvious that the Steroids had carried him through his college career and built this reputation for him of being the greatest linebacker the world had ever seen. I distinctly remember Bo completely flattening him at about the 3 yard line on his way to a touchdown in a Seattle vs. L.A. game. They said that footage basically summed up his career.

I was being honest about Marc Bulger though.