a friend of mine is an NFL player!!!!

Philippe Gardent has signed a contract with the Washington Redskins yesterday. He's LB, Defensive MVP of this year's NFL Europe AND an old friend of mine!

The second frenchman ever to sign a contract with a NFL team and again a guy from Grenoble (my hometown and Canadians' Cristobal Huet's hometown!!).

He has started playing football with my old team the Grenoble Centaurs. He was 17 and had no clue what football was about just curious to discover this game... the first game he played for us i don't think he knew half the basic rules but he was so good yet that he was instantly our best man on defense! The final score of this game: 0-0 the only scoreless football game i have ever seen. This is just crazy to think that 7 or 8 years later he's now in the NFL!!!

more info (in french) here:

http://www.centaures-footus.com

Philippe Gardent has signed a contract with the Washington Redskins yesterday. He's LB, Defensive MVP of this year's NFL Europe AND an old friend of mine!

The second frenchman ever to sign a contract with a NFL team and again a guy from Grenoble (my hometown and Canadians' Cristobal Huet's hometown!!).

He has started playing football with my old team the Grenoble Centaurs. He was 17 and had no clue what football was about just curious to discover this game... the first game he played for us i don't think he knew half the basic rules but he was so good yet that he was instantly our best man on defense! The final score of this game: 0-0 the only scoreless football game i have ever seen. This is just crazy to think that 7 or 8 years later he's now in the NFL!!!

711516[/snapback]

Froggie...how ya been?

For the record, he signed an NFL contract..and that's great. BUT, he ain't in the NFL yet...not until he makes the Redskin's (or another team's)roster. But, congrats to him (and you) anyway.

711516[/snapback]

I've heard of him. He was part of Grenoble's famed 'maginot line'. Hope he doesn't run for the tunnel on every snap.

Viva Lafayette!

711516[/snapback]

Tell him to lay off the pate, foie gras and bordeaux. This isn't the NFL Europe you know.

Froggie...how ya been?

For the record, he signed an NFL contract..and that's great.  BUT, he ain't in the NFL yet...not until he makes the Redskin's (or another team's)roster.  But, congrats to him (and you) anyway.

711872[/snapback]

He Dean! it's been such a long time how are you doing?!!

You're right he has not made the regular season team yet... but well it's enough to make us all proud in the Centaurs Family!

and thanks for your congratulations but all i did for his success is taking care of the Grenoble's team gear and field and computing the team's stats, and of course sharing with him a few beers and laughs after his games! so well i don't deserve any congrats!

I've heard of him. He was part of  Grenoble's famed 'maginot line'. Hope he doesn't run for the tunnel on every snap.

Viva Lafayette!

712102[/snapback]

i was expecting a few french jokes but you could not pick a worst town than Grenoble for that one...Grenoble is the only town with Paris to have received the "Croix de la Liberation" after the war for the courage and actions of resistance of its people during the german occupation. And even during the 1940 defeat the Alps Front never gave an inch of ground to the attacking italian troops, they even took the Mont Cenis plateau, a high altitude plain that France kept after the war.

From an american site i just found:

"On another front, that of the Alps, the situation is very different.On June 10, 1940, Italy declares the war in France.In spite of manpower much higher than the French, the Italian offensive is a general failure.The armies of the Duce are stopped everywhere in Maurienne, Briançonnais, Ubaye, in Queyras and the Alpes-maritimes.On the other hand, the German army, which on June 17 is in Langres, constitutes a very serious threat.The troops of Reich crossed the Rhone to Lyon but run up against the French device in Voreppe.They are stopped by the French units, on June the 23 and 24.

Only the news of the signature of the armistice, will put an end to the hostilities in this area.The army of the Alps remained unconquered"

Voreppe is a Grenoble's suburb