More Insight as to Why Younger Folks...

Dr. Trooth

NYS: Working toward prosperity, one tax hike at a time.

Now thats the best characterization I've seen yet.

"Welcome to the State of New York: Government for the lawyers & politicians, by the lawyers & politicians, and of the lawyers & politicians."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Santorum is the personification of evil.

708738[/snapback]

What world do you live in? Please back up your claim and define evil Benji.

I left NYS when Hugh Carey was Gov and he promised not to raise taxes to bail out NYC...same sh--, different day. They should make NYC it's own district, much like Washington, DC. This would alleviate the tax burden the rest of the state has to pay in order to keep the city solvent. Or, they could wall it up and make a prison out of it...worked in the movies. NYS is very beautiful state, except south of the the Catskills...it's where your sewer water flows. They need to cut taxes, and do what MN did, give financial incentives to corporations to build there.

I grew up in the Buffalo area and have lived in Amherst for the last 6 years and absolutely love the area. My wife and I bought a house for $185,000, it's 2400 sq. feet and change and it's located on a cul de sac in a great neighborhood. Actually Peca and Barnaby live around the corner, hope Peca brings the cup to Amherst after tonight!! There is plenty to do as far as restaurants and entertainment (bills/Sabres/Sheas). The traffic is not bad at all. A bad accident during rush hour may take you 10 minutes longer to get somewhere, which compared to other cities is nothing. My wife and I both have good jobs, I am in the computer field and my wife is a teacher. There are jobs to be had in the area. The biggest problem is you have to find them. Often times the bigger companies won't advertise positions in the Buffalo News, so finding the jobs is the toughest part. If we were to move, I could probably make more but my wife would take a cut. The only thing that would drive us to move is the taxes. Our house has been assessed twice in the last 3 years and has went from 175,000 to $230,000, which obviously raised our taxes. We now pay over $6000 per year in taxes, which pretty much makes me sick. I love the Buffalo area and would not want to move, especially with family and friends in the area. But if taxes continue to rise, I may have no choice. It's something I do not like to think about, can't imagine not going to the Bills games. I have many friend in the Raleigh area and wasn't overly impressed, but that is the most likely destination if necessary. Go Bills...Go sabres....go Buffalo...

I left NYS when Hugh Carey was Gov and he promised not to raise taxes to bail out NYC...same sh--, different day.  They should make NYC it's own district, much like Washington, DC.  This would alleviate the tax burden the rest of the state has to pay in order to keep the city solvent.    Or, they could wall it up and make a prison out of it...worked in the movies.  NYS is very beautiful state, except south of the the Catskills...it's where your sewer water flows.  They need to cut taxes, and do what MN did, give financial incentives to corporations to build there.

710518[/snapback]

nyc -- which is quite solvent -- basically funds the rest of the state, particularly buffalo, which has presently degenerated into an insolvent charity case.

nyc -- which is quite solvent

Correct,... thanks to the tax$$ showered upon them by the upstate taxpayer.

You must remember, there are two New Yorks... Area wise, NYC and a 65 mile area around it consumes about 5% of NY State's land and 55% of it's population. They have their universe within that box. The rest of the state is on the total opposite end of the scale economically, politically, and culturally. We pay high energy costs because of the NYC demand. We pay high taxes because of the burden NYC places on the other 8 million New Yorkers. And... when was the last time you new of any politician that is a significant player in NYS other than a downstate politician? Except for Joe Bruno who was Glens Falls born and raised (and he has even lost touch with reality), any politician with any political weight is a downstater.

You must remember, there are two New Yorks... Area wise, NYC and a 65 mile area around it consumes about 5% of NY State's land and 55% of it's population.  They have their universe within that box.  The rest of the state is on the total opposite end of the scale economically, politically, and culturally.  We pay high energy costs because of the NYC demand.  We pay high taxes because of the burden NYC places on the other 8 million New Yorkers.  And... when was the last time you new of any politician that is a significant player in NYS other than a downstate politician?  Except for Joe Bruno who was Glens Falls born and raised (and he has even lost touch with reality), any politician with any political weight is a downstater.

710651[/snapback]

Why don't you back this stuff up with some facts and figures? The only figure you have is 55% population. Well, an area that has over half the state's residents is going to, by nature, take up a lot of its resources. Besideswhich, 55% is a misnomer here. Outside of NYC, 3.5 million live in Westchester/surrounding areas, Long Island accounts for almost another 3 million. Don't try and pass it off like NYC is only half the state. It's more like 2/3. That's not accounting for people who even travel down the Hudson all the way up from Albany to work in the city.

In case you didn't notice, NYC also provides a wealth of resources and is the main attraction as one of the financial, media and information capitals of the world -- not just for the state or nation. The tax base of New York City and Long Island -- as well as all the other areas that are high-population due to proximity -- is significant compared to any money that might come in from the Buffalo / WNY area.

As for Bruno, he's just another complicit figure in our state's unaccountable shadow government. Albany needs reform and it's not because of NYC. I'm a native WNYer but I left WNY because NYC presents opportunities for young people. In WNY these are simply few and far between, with less pay, less chances to move up, less frequent available work, and in some ways I feel a lot safer than in some areas of Buffalo.

You must remember, there are two New Yorks... Area wise, NYC and a 65 mile area around it consumes about 5% of NY State's land and 55% of it's population.  They have their universe within that box.  The rest of the state is on the total opposite end of the scale economically, politically, and culturally.  We pay high energy costs because of the NYC demand.  We pay high taxes because of the burden NYC places on the other 8 million New Yorkers.  And... when was the last time you new of any politician that is a significant player in NYS other than a downstate politician?  Except for Joe Bruno who was Glens Falls born and raised (and he has even lost touch with reality), any politician with any political weight is a downstater.

710651[/snapback]

They vote to raise taxes in Syracuse and the surrounding towns around here nearly every single year and I don't think I have heard a politician state that the reason is because NYC takes all the tax revenue. Nope, politicians here raise taxes for the same reason they are raised everywhere: THEY ARE IDIOTS WITH MANAGING MONEY AND ALWAYS WANT MORE.

If a city/town/village budget was ever proposed that was less then it was the year before I would most likely drop dead of a heart attack.

Thank you for offering some excellent points on NYC ... I, for one, vote for making it a prison. :huh:

I left NYS when Hugh Carey was Gov and he promised not to raise taxes to bail out NYC...same sh--, different day.  They should make NYC it's own district, much like Washington, DC.  This would alleviate the tax burden the rest of the state has to pay in order to keep the city solvent.    Or, they could wall it up and make a prison out of it...worked in the movies.  NYS is very beautiful state, except south of the the Catskills...it's where your sewer water flows.  They need to cut taxes, and do what MN did, give financial incentives to corporations to build there.

710518[/snapback]

710651[/snapback]

this is totally incorrect. upstate ny is a charity case because it has an aging, shrinking population with little or no economic dynamism. nyc has enjoyed significant economic growth and a constant influx of both skilled workers and immigrants for many years. the taxes generated from the nyc economy basically fund the rest of the state. btw, buffalonians' energy costs have absolutely nothing to do with nyc demand -- the energy market isn't defined by states. as for politicians having weight, that strikes me as irrelevant to the issue.

Does anyone know the Scott Bentley from the article? Tell him to contact me, I'd love to help him find a job or place to live.

The more Buffaloians the better!

711574[/snapback]

The White Harriet Tubman - leading the tax enslaved to the promised land.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm movin' on up and out of this godforsaken state.

after spending the first 5 months of the year looking for jobs in NYS, I realized I was going nowhere and branched out across the country. There isn't jack stevestojan here for phd level engineers. Every company around here is either downsizing or on a hiring freeze. I managed to hook up with a company in New Hampshire that wants me to head their material science engineering department. I'll be starting mid-August.

No income tax, no sales tax and lower property taxes than NYS. Can't wait to start.

I'm movin' on up and out of this godforsaken state.

after spending the first 5 months of the year looking for jobs in NYS, I realized I was going nowhere and branched out across the country. There isn't jack stevestojan here for phd level engineers. Every company around here is either downsizing or on a hiring freeze. I managed to hook up with a company in New Hampshire that wants me to head their material science engineering department. I'll be starting mid-August.

No income tax, no sales tax and lower property taxes than NYS. Can't wait to start.

717181[/snapback]

One less person pulling the full wagon. Good Luck