Why soccer doesn't catch on in the USA

Americans are used to watching the best play in their sports leagues. MLB: best baseball. NFL: best football. NHL & NBA: tops in their sports. MLS? Somewhere below English beer leagues.

I can prove it. Check the ratings for World Cup in the USA. It's not NFL ratings but it's a lot better than MLS. Why? Best soccer in the world and a rooting interest in Team USA.

I suggest instead of the MLS, have just two teams. New York and L.A. The New York team would play European teams. L.A. plays latin teams. Recruit top soccer talent and pay them obscene bucks to play here. I bet you'd get some interest then.

Don't you think the European and Latin leagues would love to have teams in the USA?

PTR

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americans are used to watching the best play in their sports leagues.  MLB: best baseball.  NFL: best football.  NHL & NBA: tops in their sports.  MLS?  Somewhere below English beer leagues.

I can prove it.  Check the ratings for World Cup in the USA.  It's not NFL ratings but it's a lot better than MLS.  Why?  Best soccer in the world and a rooting interest in Team USA.

I suggest instead of the MLS, have just two teams.  New York and L.A.  The New York team would play European teams.  L.A. plays latin teams.  Recruit top soccer talent and pay them obscene bucks to play here.  I bet you'd get some interest then.

Don't you think the European and Latin leagues would love to have teams in the USA? 

PTR

706199[/snapback]

One of the qualifications to have a world cup in the US, FIFA required US to have a competitive soccer league. The MLS is growing and will eventually have the $$$ required to go pick up talent. The problem is that soccer has to compete with 3 sports that already dominate the market (NBA, NFL,MLB). Then hockey, golf and other sports. This alone makes it a tough sell but eventually it will get there.

Remember the last WC, USA faced Portugal and got farther than Argentina, France, and Italy.

Eventually, they will start getting better players and doing well in soccer.

Americans are used to watching the best play in their sports leagues.  MLB: best baseball.  NFL: best football.  NHL & NBA: tops in their sports.  MLS?  Somewhere below English beer leagues.

I can prove it.  Check the ratings for World Cup in the USA.  It's not NFL ratings but it's a lot better than MLS.  Why?  Best soccer in the world and a rooting interest in Team USA.

I suggest instead of the MLS, have just two teams.  New York and L.A.  The New York team would play European teams.  L.A. plays latin teams.  Recruit top soccer talent and pay them obscene bucks to play here.  I bet you'd get some interest then.

PTR

706199[/snapback]

I think you're under the false impression that the MLS has not been successful. Quite the contrary, actually. The MLS is operating in the black, and they've made very good decisions that have led to a solid foundation to build from. Probably a lot of people don't realize that the MLS has been around for ten years already. I don't think domestic soccer will ever come close to the NFL, MLB, NBA, or hockey. Professional soccer is basically a niche sport in this country. But the league can still be successful even though it's on a much smaller scale than the other major sports. The soccer fan base in this country may be small, but it's loyal.

You're right, though....and I count myself among those who like to see the best in a given sport. And I'll be the first to tell you that if I'm given the choice between the MLS cup final and the FA Cup or Champions League final, I'll choose the latter every time. But the MLS is a success, not a failure.

The soccer fan base in this country may be small, but it's loyal.

706231[/snapback]

If every U.S. city followed soccer like Rochester, it would be the #1 sport in the country. It is a weird phenomenon that has this community extrememly divided. Soccer lovers vs. Soccer haters. Not much room in the middle.

If every U.S. city followed soccer like Rochester, it would be the #1 sport in the country.  It is a weird phenomenon that has this community extrememly divided.  Soccer lovers vs. Soccer haters.  Not much room in the middle.

706252[/snapback]

Soccer isn't even the number one sport in Rochester. Give me a break. Friggin' soccer fans and their pipe dreams.

Soccer will NEVER be more than a fringe sport in the US.

Soccer isn't even the number one sport in Rochester.  Give me a break.  Friggin' soccer fans and their pipe dreams.

706254[/snapback]

Nobody dislikes soccer more than me, but the nuts around here are out of control. If I ever meet Soccer Sam, I'm going to take those ridiculous $2 Mickey Mouse sunglsses of his off and stomp on them...and then replace them with my $140 Oakley's because I'm that kinda guy. :lol:

AS far as soccer not being the #1 sport. You are probably right, but Rochester still calls itself Soccertown USA. UGH!!!

Soccer is a bargain basement sport for nations that can't afford equipment. Much like basketball. The "have" affluent countries like the US and Canada can enjoy the premier sports like hockey and football cause we can. :lol:

MLS is building several soccer specific stadiums this year. This will help. I went to see the KC Wizards play. They had a crowd of close to 20,000. Arrowhead Stadium looked empty. It seats 80,000. MLS is on the rise.

I coach Premier club soccer. Parents are telling me. "Don't tell anyone but I can't believe I go home and watch soccer." I guess he doesn't want his baseball, football and basketball friends to know.

Soccer is a great game. Very physical for those who don't know anything about it. The moves, the shots, the player combinations. There more to it than just the scoring. Catch the fever.

Soccer isn't even the number one sport in Rochester.  Give me a break.  Friggin' soccer fans and their pipe dreams.

706254[/snapback]

AD, why do I keep getting mental images of you as a kid on a soccer field getting schooled by a girl? :lol:

MLS is building several soccer specific stadiums this year.  This will help.  I went to see the KC Wizards play.  They had a crowd of close to 20,000.  Arrowhead Stadium looked empty.  It seats 80,000.  MLS is on the rise.

I coach Premier club soccer.  Parents are telling me.  "Don't tell anyone but I can't believe I go home and watch soccer."    I guess he doesn't want his baseball, football and basketball friends to know. 

Soccer is a great game.  Very physical for those who don't know anything about it.  The moves, the shots,  the player combinations.  There more to it than just the scoring.  Catch the fever.

706264[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. I played for ten years as a kid and loved every minute of it. The fact that it's not as popular in this country as it is in others doesn't change the fact that it's a great game. I think playing as a kid helps you excel in other sports, too, mainly because it teaches you about balance, coordination, timing, and teamwork.

706254[/snapback]

2005-2006 average attendance

Rhinos: 9,791

Amerks: 6,988

Red Wings: 6,853

Yeah, yeah...the Rhinos play less games, but soccer is big in Rochester. They wouldn't have a brand new dedicated stadium if it wasn't. The Rhinos have averaged about 11,000 fans since '96 and drew 13,768 to the home opener this year.

No, soccer isn't the biggest sport there is, but to dismiss its place in the comminuty and the level of support for it because of your hatred of the sport is asinine.

2005-2006 average attendance

Rhinos: 9,791

Amerks: 6,988

Red Wings: 6,853

Yeah, yeah...the Rhinos play less games, but soccer is big in Rochester. They wouldn't have a brand new dedicated stadium if it wasn't. The Rhinos have averaged about 11,000 fans since '96 and drew 13,768 to the home opener this year.

No, soccer isn't the biggest sport there is, but to dismiss its place in the comminuty and the level of support for it because of your hatred of the sport is asinine.

706321[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about? I simply stated a fact. Soccer is NOT the number one sport in Rochester. Period. It's great that the Rhinos get the support they do and Rochester has always been a terrific sport's town.

I don't hate soccer, mostly I hate soccer fan. I played when I was a kid (left half). Fun sport to play, terrible to watch. Regardless, it's a fringe sport in the US - no matter how anyone spins it or how desperately the lunatics want it to catch on (it NEVER will). We have this discussion every time a World Cup comes around.

WTF are you talking about?  I simply stated a fact.  Soccer is NOT the number one sport in Rochester.  Period.  It's great that the Rhinos get the support they do and  Rochester has always been a terrific sport's town. 

I don't hate soccer, mostly I hate soccer fan.  I played when I was a kid (left half).  Fun sport to play, terrible to watch.  Regardless, it's a fringe sport in the US - no matter how anyone spins it or how desperately the lunatics want it to catch on (it NEVER will).  We have this discussion every time a World Cup comes around.

706332[/snapback]

Then what is the #1 sport and how do you judge that? By attendance? By perception? By participation????

I don't hate soccer, mostly I hate soccer fan.  I played when I was a kid (left half).  Fun sport to play, terrible to watch.  Regardless, it's a fringe sport in the US - no matter how anyone spins it or how desperately the lunatics want it to catch on (it NEVER will).  We have this discussion every time a World Cup comes around.

706332[/snapback]

I agree totally. I played for almost ten years as a kid (goal and sweeper). It was fun to play, but then as now watching soccer is akin to a root canal without novocaine.

Then what is the #1 sport and how do you judge that? By attendance? By perception? By participation????

706337[/snapback]

Probably football, but I'm not sure how to get stats on how many Rochesterians go to Bills games.

American kids dream of scoring the winning TD in the Super Bowl, making that last second basket to win the NBA Finals, or hitting the game winning homerun in the World Series

Soccer? That's some place Mom and Dad pick them up from

Americans are used to watching the best play in their sports leagues.  MLB: best baseball.  NFL: best football.  NHL & NBA: tops in their sports. 

706199[/snapback]

Americans don't watch the NHL.

I agree totally. I played for almost ten years as a kid (goal and sweeper). It was fun to play, but then as now watching soccer is akin to a root canal without novocaine.

706339[/snapback]

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Sweden-Trinidad game today and NOTHING HAPPENED. How can you have a sport where nothing is happening most of the time?

Soccer is like watching hockey except it takes 5 minutes for the ball to go from one end of the field to the other and if we're lucky, we get one scoring opportunity every 10 minutes. Most of the players don't even run - they're either jogging or standing around while watching 2-3 players do something at any one time.