Stanly Cup Finals...

Buftex

I am still debating whether I am going to be able to stomach watching the finals. I enjoyed the hockey season so much this year, the way it ended for the Sabres last Thursday was such a downer. The playoffs were such a blast though (even the non-Buffalo games), I haven't ruled it out. I can't stand the two remaining NBA teams (though Dewayne Wade is awesome), the Sopranos is back in hibernation, baseball bores the crap out of me most of the time, and football doesn't start for another 2 months. I need something to fill some of the empty hours between work shifts.

My predicition:

I really want Edmonton to win, but I am thinking, like the 1999 Sabres, they have played over their heads for three series, and are about to come crashing back to earth. The long layoff likely won't help them much either. As much as I now loathe the idea of Carolina winning the cup, I think they are really a very good team...I say the Hurricanes win it in six games. I hope to god I am wrong...comments?

I think Edmonton will disembowel Carolina in 5. Maybe a sweep. No four defensemen injured with Edmonton. AND, every NHL season after Calgary reaches the Finals, Edmonton wins the Cup.

Edmonton will forecheck very hard. Laviotoilette is going to be flip-flopping Ward and Gerber a lot. Maybe he'll even put in a call for Arturs Irbe.

I can't watch this series. I might, just might watch a clinching game, but the series? Not going to happen! The clincher for me was this weekend at my daughters swim meet. I'm sitting next to a guy who forever has worn an Auburn University hat and this weekend he is sporting his 'Canes cap. I wanted to puke!

Neither will anyone outside of Canada. :)

BTW, tix for game 1 are still available as of this morning. :P

703115[/snapback]

And yet if you talk to people down here and listen to the news all the games are sold out or SRO.

Neither will anyone outside of Canada. :)

BTW, tix for game 1 are still available as of this morning. :P

703115[/snapback]

If the Sabres had not been in the playoffs, I might be able to gear up to watch some good hockey and form a rooting interest. But I have NEVER been able to pull for a team that KOd my team from the playoffs. I don't buy the 'it makes us look better' crap or anything else. Watching the finals would only be a constant reminder of how close it came to being the Sabres in that position.

Carolina had trouble putting Buffalo away with their AHL defence and missing one of their top playoff goal scorer. In game 7 Buffalo was 18 minutes away from upsetting Carolina and facing Edmonton. Edmonton may have been the 8th seed, but had been playing really good since they made a bunch of moves to improve the team around the trade deadline making their 8th seed position a little misleading.

Edmonton in 5 games, and no one in Carolina will care except the 10,000 canes fans who show up for a game

Edmonton in 5 games, and no one in Carolina will care except the 10,000 canes fans who show up for a game

703191[/snapback]

I understand your logic, except that you are basing it on the idea, all things equal, Edmonton is better, or as good as, Buffalo was. IMO, Edmonton is fast like Buffalo, but does not have as much depth. Am I the only one who thinks Carolina is going to win this thing? I don't think it will be even close. Believe me, I would love to see Edmonton wipe that smug look off of Laviolettes' face, but I am not so sure Edmonton will be able to do it.

I understand your logic, except that you are basing it on the idea, all things equal, Edmonton is better, or as good as, Buffalo was.  IMO, Edmonton is fast like Buffalo, but does not have as much depth.  Am I the only one who thinks Carolina is going to win this thing?  I don't think it will be even close.  Believe me, I would love to see Edmonton wipe that smug look off of Laviolettes' face, but I am not so sure Edmonton will be able to do it.

703230[/snapback]

Edmonton only has to be as good or slightly better then a Buffalo team missing 5 of their top players. Edmonton now is well rested (which could hurt them a couple games, or help them recover from the flu they had during the Anaheim series)

Edmonton is also better then a 8th seeded team, they drastically improved at the deadline, and have played well ever since, they were only an 8th seeded team due to the performance before the deadline when they finally got a starting goalie, and some help to fix their team.

Carolina was healthy all series and had trouble putting away a seriously injured Buffalo team, they are not as good as they have been portrayed.

I've heard some people say that the Oilers' defense is better than the Sabres' is WHEN HEALTHY even. Plus Roloson has been playing lights-out. Combine that with Pronger who they'll have trouble with, the extra rest they've gotten coupled with the 7-game series the Hurricanes and their old men had to go through, and it's at-worst Oilers in 6.