What's it Going to Take For You...

What does JP have to do to win you over?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What does JP have to do to win you over?

• Become the starter and go on to be as successful as Jack Kemp
    • Become the starter and go on to be as successful as Joe Ferguson
    • Become the starter and go on to be as successful as Jim Kelly
    • Put up Dan Fouts numbers and never get to a SuperBowl
    • Put up Dan Marino numbers and never win a SuperBowl
    • Put up Terry Bradshaw numbers and never lose a SuperBowl
    • Put up Joe Montana numbers and never lose a SuperBowl
    • Get clobbered in training camp again and have to retire
    • Nothing. He'll never be my guy and he can take the Oregon Trail to Oakland for all I care
    • Nothing. Maybe put on a Ron Mexico sweatband and get a pair of baby mommas 'cause he's already "My Guy!"

Ok, from the sublime to the ridiculous, yes. But as long as JP is on the team, we're stuck/blessed with him. Fair enough. We didn't draft him and if he fails, he'll join a growing line of TD busts.

But, assuming he's the starter (granted, a leap of logic/faith for many) what do you see him having to do to win you over? Clearly be responsible for winning 5-6 games with his skill/bravado/will/luck? Win a SB? Win multiple ones? Or, will you never accept him because you just don't like him - or he's simply not "your guy?"

Just curious.

Me, I'd like to see him get us to the Playoffs. Then I'll be thinking like he's my guy.

702945[/snapback]

I think the old Marv quote is just about right for JP. No one is ever as good or as bad as they say.

JP in a VERY short period of time went from savior to goat. All this when we KNEW that he would be a rookie qb.

So is he gonna be MY GUY? Nope. JK is. But he just might turn out to be my son's guy. (in a manly - pro football, good buddy, can't have my Bud, sort of speaking)

I think the old Marv quote is just about right for JP. No one is ever as good or as bad as they say.

JP in a VERY short period of time went from savior to goat. All this when we KNEW that he would be a rookie qb.

So is he gonna be MY GUY? Nope. JK is. But he just might turn out to be my son's guy. (in a manly - pro football, good buddy, can't have my Bud, sort of speaking)

703684[/snapback]

Once again...savior? He inherited a 9-7 team. I think there isn't a person on this board who wouldn't have been happy if the had one just one more game last season to get to 10-6 and the playoffs.

Savior?

Once again...savior?  He inherited a 9-7 team.  I think there isn't a person on this board who wouldn't have been happy if the had one just one more game last season to get to 10-6 and the playoffs.

Savior?

703724[/snapback]

In a way, Losman WAS sold to us (a pitch that many continue to buy into) as a "savior" of sorts.

He was a first round pick, who also cost us a 2nd and a 5th. They cut Bledsoe, and handed him the job. Remember the articles stating that working with Wyche was going to have him prepared? I think that a big majority of fans fell for this.

Again, I do NOT blame JP for this. I blame TD and his ego. I also think that JP has a chance to be a good quarterback simply based on his talent.

That said, he has a LONG way to go to reach "good."

Win football games as the starter.

I already know Holcomb can no longer play NFL level football and Nall is Mr. Prototype, minus the talent.

If Losman flops, get rid of all 3 and pick up a vet while trying again in the draft.

That being said, I expect little from the Bills this year, so throw Losman in there and let him sink or swim with some Coaches who may have an actual offensive gameplan, unlike the last 2-3 years.

703267[/snapback]

I completely agree.

In a way, Losman WAS sold to us (a pitch that many continue to buy into) as a "savior" of sorts. 

He was a first round pick, who also cost us a 2nd and a 5th. They cut Bledsoe, and handed him the job. Remember the articles stating that working with Wyche was going to have him prepared? I think that a big majority of fans fell for this.

Again, I do NOT blame JP for this. I blame TD and his ego. I also think that JP has a chance to be a good quarterback simply based on his talent.

That said, he has a LONG way to go to reach "good."

703729[/snapback]

Exactly. Most fans (here at least) were so terribly displeased with Bledsoe, while simultaneously gushing over our win streak to end the '04 season. We were all sold on JP as being the greatest thing going, being coached by Wyche, etc. How could we be worse? It was so clear that we went 9-7 despite Bledsoe, that if we inserted even a mildly adequate QB, we'd win at least 1 or 2 more games and be in the playoffs. So all was set, we had it all... a new QB that had all the training and talent, a defense that would be the best in the league's history, special teams that really were special.

Then, of course, the wheels fell off the wagon and all hell broke loose in '05. From ineptitude caoching, to one the worst defenses in the league, to a lackluster offense. And, what should naturally follow? Blame it all on the QB. Despite the fact that he played like almost every other first year starter (give or take a few stats), he somehow completely sucks, will always suck, and has transferred his suckiness to the entire rest of the team thereby making everyone suck. And most of that suckiness is because of his hair length. Apparently, buzz cuts equate to better QB play. But I digress.

I forget where I was going with this. But, I guess it's just to point out that almost everyone wanted JP to start over Bledsoe, then when they got what they wanted, they saw a different reality. So, perhaps now that everyone hates the draft and players we have now and think we're doomed, perhaps we'll see a better reality this fall.

Exactly.  Most fans (here at least) were so terribly displeased with Bledsoe, while simultaneously gushing over our win streak to end the '04 season.  We were all sold on JP as being the greatest thing going, being coached by Wyche, etc. How could we be worse?  It was so clear that we went 9-7 despite Bledsoe, that if we inserted even a mildly adequate QB, we'd win at least 1 or 2 more games and be in the playoffs.  So all was set, we had it all... a new QB that had all the training and talent, a defense that would be the best in the league's history, special teams that really were special. 

Then, of course, the wheels fell off the wagon and all hell broke loose in '05.  From ineptitude caoching, to one the worst defenses in the league, to a lackluster offense.  And, what should naturally follow?  Blame it all on the QB.  Despite the fact that he played like almost every other first year starter (give or take a few stats), he somehow completely sucks, will always suck, and has transferred his suckiness to the entire rest of the team thereby making everyone suck.  And most of that  suckiness is because of his hair length.  Apparently, buzz cuts equate to better QB play.  But I digress.

I forget where I was going with this.  But, I guess it's just to point out that almost everyone wanted JP to start over Bledsoe, then when they got what they wanted, they saw a different reality.  So, perhaps now that everyone hates the draft and players we have now and think we're doomed, perhaps we'll see a better reality this fall.

703840[/snapback]

Dan, you're getting ahead of yourself. You say a mildly adequate QB would get us 1-2 more wins. That year, we lost games 13-10, 13-10, and 16-14. I don't think that's a stretch. All we wanted was for JP to be mildly adequate. He wasn't.

That doesn't mean everything was his fault, but we changed a lot of the rest of it. We have a new coaching staff and GM, with a new philosophy on defense. If Mularkey was still around, we'd be bitching and moaning about him. Instead, there's JP.

Team and coaches fall in line behind him... he becomes a Leader.

+

Playoffs.  Consistently.  Not every year, but at a decent clip.

=

JP becomes "my guy."

702956[/snapback]

Agreed.

Also, I did not like the poll choices.

Rom Mexico is winning, btw.

:P

Once again...savior?  He inherited a 9-7 team.  I think there isn't a person on this board who wouldn't have been happy if the had one just one more game last season to get to 10-6 and the playoffs.

Savior?

703724[/snapback]

You miss the point. Then agin a tortued soul would probably jump all over saviors. But to clarify, JP's fan status is what changed so dramatically. Yet his play looked like a rookie and didn't really change a whole lot. And that is what everybody expected in the beginning. So - Marv had a way of trying to put a dose of reality in moving from the high highs and the low lows.

In short he ain't a savior or a goat. Probably something in between. And where that is exactly we'll know in about 5 years.

I won't wait up for the answer though.

You miss the point. Then agin a tortued soul would probably jump all over saviors. But to clarify, JP's fan status is what changed so dramatically. Yet his play looked like a rookie and didn't really change a whole lot. And that is what everybody expected in the beginning. So - Marv had a way of trying to put a dose of reality in moving from the high highs and the low lows.

In short he ain't a savior or a goat. Probably something in between. And where that is exactly we'll know in about 5 years.

I won't wait up for the answer though.

703904[/snapback]

Answer me this:

Why does a 9-7 team need saving?

BTW, the get-clobbered-in-training-camp option triggered a thought. To me, it was the first indication that Mularkey didn't have an effing idea of the responsibilities attached to the HC position. How many quarterbacks in the league have ever been incapacitated by a like incident in training camp? MM did not have enough sense to impress upon his qb to not take foolless chances in camp or any other time, and worse, did not have his defense forewarned concerning QB contact and penalties resulting from such proscribed contact.

Secondarily to this incident was MM's throwing his supposed prize pupil to the NE wolves in JP's rookie season. To make a point, he exposes his once seriously injured qb to the opportunity for more injury.

Meathead, indeed.