In the Crease. No Goal. Delay of Game.

My initial post was that it's a bad rule. I'll stand by that. Icing happens 20 times a game, and that delays the game too, and it's intentional. I don't see why tossing it over the glass should be any different.

We had our chances, especially in Game 5 when we dominated the end of the third and all of overtime till that power play and lucky hop onto Stillman's stick.

By the way, sitting here in St. Louis watching all those former Blues stick it to the Sabres....sucks. Stillman, Weight, Brind Amour. And in the west, Pronger, Roloson, Staios. Tired of that.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial post was that it's a bad rule.  I'll stand by that.  Icing happens 20 times a game, and that delays the game too, and it's intentional.  I don't see why tossing it over the glass should be any different.

We had our chances, especially in Game 5 when we dominated the end of the third and all of overtime till that power play and lucky hop onto Stillman's stick.

By the way, sitting here in St. Louis watching all those former Blues stick it to the Sabres....sucks.  Stillman, Weight, Brind Amour.  And in the west, Pronger, Roloson, Staios.  Tired of that.

702270[/snapback]

Except they changed the icing rule. I haven't seen 20 icing calls all season.

"whiny bastards"??? who is the one doing all the whining now?? I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan because I was born and rasied in Norch Carolina and I am also a Buffalo Bills fan because thats the first team I started pulling for when I got interested in football around 10 years of age or so. (I'm 26 now) Weather that was a good call or a bad call, it did not decide the outcome of the game. Carolina won by two goals, not one, in case you have forgotten. Also, you mention the 'string' of injuries Buffalo suffered during the playoffs. Why don't you also mention that Eric Cole, Carolina's star player and at the time of his injury a top three consensus pick for player of the year, was out for the entire series as well. This is the bottom line. Also, need I remind you that if not for Williams's choke on a wide open net in game 6, the series never would have gone to a game 7. Both teams played their hearts out and in the end, Carolina came out on top. They deserve to go to the finals and Buffalo deserves a pat on the back and a job well done. Both teams will be strong again next year and will once again content for the cup. I give Buffalo a hell of a lot of credit for playing the Canes so tough, but I do not respect fans who say that Buffalo was cheated out of a win and that Carolina is lucky and does not deserve to go to the finals. Suck it up and be a man or stop watching sports.......

John in NC

Hard to imagine a worse mandatory call than that delay of game last night.  I can understand if it's intentional, then you are "delaying the game."  What happens when you ice the puck?  How come that's not a penalty? 

I knew they were cursed when Carolina scored the first goal off a guy's shoulder 8 feet from the goal.  The guy didn't even know it hit him. 

The Sabres had, what, 2 power plays....and both were cut short by penalties...the 2nd one was a horrible call. 

I've read and heard enough about how the team was shorthanded by 7 players.  It's no compensation to me.  To have to wait another year and another 3 rounds of playoffs, with horrible officiating and all the b.s., I'm not sure I have the heart for this. 

I am proud of the team, and the effort.  Carolina makes me puke, whiny bastards, and I'm not sure I can watch a minute of the finals.  I'd like to see them get swept, although that might make people think less of the Sabres.

702098[/snapback]

"whiny bastards"???  who is the one doing all the whining now??  I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan because I was born and rasied in Norch Carolina and I am also a Buffalo Bills fan because thats the first team I started pulling for when I got interested in football around 10 years of age or so. (I'm 26 now)  Weather that was a good call or a bad call, it did not decide the outcome of the game.  Carolina won by two goals, not one, in case you have forgotten.  Also, you mention the 'string' of injuries Buffalo suffered during the playoffs.  Why don't you also mention that Eric Cole, Carolina's star player and at the time of his injury a top three consensus pick for player of the year, was out for the entire series as well.  This is the bottom line.  Also, need I remind you that if not for Williams's choke on a wide open net in game 6, the series never would have gone to a game 7.  Both teams played their hearts out and in the end, Carolina came out on top.  They deserve to go to the finals and Buffalo deserves a pat on the back and a job well done.  Both teams will be strong again next year and will once again content for the cup.  I give Buffalo a hell of a lot of credit for playing the Canes so tough, but I do not respect fans who say that Buffalo was cheated out of a win and that Carolina is lucky and does not deserve to go to the finals.  Suck it up and be a man or stop watching sports.......

John in NC

702349[/snapback]

Who's whining? Dude, you don't know me. I said was that it was a dumb rule. And I'm upset that the Sabres lost. The game winning goal took place during the ensuing power play. Carolina is loaded with talent, and their goalie was great since he came into the middle of Game 5. I think they'll probably win the Cup. I believe the reason the Sabres did not win is they were missing 7 guys. You may disagree. You guys had the best record in the league when you added Doug Weight. Your team is loaded.

"whiny bastards"???  who is the one doing all the whining now??  I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan because I was born and rasied in Norch Carolina and I am also a Buffalo Bills fan because thats the first team I started pulling for when I got interested in football around 10 years of age or so. (I'm 26 now)  Weather that was a good call or a bad call, it did not decide the outcome of the game.  Carolina won by two goals, not one, in case you have forgotten.  Also, you mention the 'string' of injuries Buffalo suffered during the playoffs.  Why don't you also mention that Eric Cole, Carolina's star player and at the time of his injury a top three consensus pick for player of the year, was out for the entire series as well.  This is the bottom line.  Also, need I remind you that if not for Williams's choke on a wide open net in game 6, the series never would have gone to a game 7.  Both teams played their hearts out and in the end, Carolina came out on top.  They deserve to go to the finals and Buffalo deserves a pat on the back and a job well done.  Both teams will be strong again next year and will once again content for the cup.  I give Buffalo a hell of a lot of credit for playing the Canes so tough, but I do not respect fans who say that Buffalo was cheated out of a win and that Carolina is lucky and does not deserve to go to the finals.  Suck it up and be a man or stop watching sports.......

John in NC

702349[/snapback]

Cole is a very good hockey player, but there is no way in the world that he is a "top 3 consensus pick for player of the year". He plays on Carolina's top line and hits anything that moves, but he isn't even close to being Carolina's best player, Staal is.

The Sabres were missing a forward that was as important to them as Cole was to the Canes - Timmy Connolly. The Sabres powerplay never fully recovered from his loss. The Sabres were also missing 4 of their regular defensemen.

The Canes used the same roster for the entire series, Buffalo did not have that luxury.

"In case you have forgotten", the Canes 4th goal came at the very end when the Sabres were pressing for the tying goal. For all intents and purposes, it was equivalent to an empty netter and the game WAS a 1 goal game.

"Also, need I remind you" that not for Max's "choke job" in game 5, the Sabres win the series in 6. He missed the 5 hole and so it goes.

Carolina beat the Sabres this series. Considering the rosters that were put on the ice in the last 3 games, the Canes should have put a whooping on the Sabres. They didn't. The Sabres can take a lot of pride in the way they battled through adversity and were within 20 minutes of playing for Lord Stanley's Chalice.

The Canes should be excited about the chance to play for the SC and focused on that but they were still whining about Lindy Ruff after the series was over. That is sad.

The respect thing goes 2 ways and your post isn't garnering you much right now.

Look at Carolina's record before Cole's injury and then take a look at it after his injury. If thats not enough to tell you just how valuable he is to the team, I don't know what is. Carolina was looked like a well oiled machine before his injury. After he went down, they saw their winning percentage for the rest of the season dip below 50% and they even lost 5 in a row during one stretch. I know must guys on this board don't like giving any credit to the 'experts' at ESPN, but several of the sports writers were saying that Carolina was a team on the decline heading into the playoffs and they would be lucky to advance out of the first series because of how cold they were playing, and the injury to Eric Cole. And Cole does a lot more then just hit anything that moves. He puts the puck in the net quite a bit too. Again, you can look up the stats if you want. I do give Buffalo a hell of a lot of credit, but I'm not going to let anyone convince me that Carolina played a team that wasn't up to the challenge and that the victory was tainted. And as for Weight, he could have chosen any team he wanted and he chose to play for Carolina. You can't hold that against the team either. I remember back in 2000 or 2001 when Carolina was the huge underdog against the Devils. They went out and won game 1 and although that was the only game in the series they won, every single game the rest of the way went down to the wire with two games going into overtime. When its playoff time, you can throw talent out of the window. Either you have heart and catch a few lucky breaks, or you don't. In closing, i'm not attacking Buffalo fans or the team. I'm just saying that Carolina has worked their asses off this season to get to where they are. They are filled with veterens and are an aging team and with the exception of cole, stall, and ward, many of their 'big name' players don't have more then 2 to 3 years left. I'm glad to see them get a chance to take home the cup this year!!

Cole is a very good hockey player, but there is no way in the world that he is a "top 3 consensus pick for player of the year".  He plays on Carolina's top line and hits anything that moves, but he isn't even close to being Carolina's best player, Staal is.

The Sabres were missing a forward that was as important to them as Cole was to the Canes - Timmy Connolly.  The Sabres powerplay never fully recovered from his loss.  The Sabres were also missing 4 of their regular defensemen.

The Canes used the same roster for the entire series, Buffalo did not have that luxury.

"In case you have forgotten", the Canes 4th goal came at the very end when the Sabres were pressing for the tying goal.  For all intents and purposes, it was equivalent to an empty netter and the game WAS a 1 goal game.

"Also, need I remind you" that not for Max's "choke job" in game 5, the Sabres win the series in 6.  He missed the 5 hole and so it goes.

Carolina beat the Sabres this series.  Considering the rosters that were put on the ice in the last 3 games, the Canes should have put a whooping on the Sabres.  They didn't.  The Sabres can take a lot of pride in the way they battled through adversity and were within 20 minutes of playing for Lord Stanley's Chalice. 

The Canes should be excited about the chance to play for the SC and focused on that but they were still whining about Lindy Ruff after the series was over.  That is sad.

The respect thing goes 2 ways and your post isn't garnering you much right now.

702573[/snapback]

I think we'll eventually see the delay of game situation be changed from a penalty to a "you dumped the puck into the stands, so you cannot make a line change but the other team can" situation... Keep the goalie delay of game penalty though. I'm not crying over that penalty though. The refs made the right call and were consistant about it from october 5 through game 7 of the conference finals. can't ask for anything more.

I don't think that win was "tainted" by any means. Both teams came out, played a hell of a game, and one of the teams won. I just can't necessarily say that the "better" team won, because those 20 guys in the Sabres uniforms were not the same 20 that got us to that point. I thought that the rookies stepped up and played a huge game, way above expectations, but it was still evident that the talent and experience of guys like McKee, Numminen, and Tallinder was sorely missed.

And, FWIW, there is no discretion for that penalty, the referee _must_ make that call. The rule is, if a defender shoots the puck over the glass in his own zone and it doesn't touch anything, its a delay of game call. If it deflects off of another player, or if it hits the glass before going out of play, then it is not a penalty.

OLN did not do a very good job looking closer at the play, as there was a Carolina player's stick very, very close to the puck, so it could have been tipped. I think it was Hecht who immediately signaled to the referee that he thought it was tipped, but I think only Brian Campbell and the carolina player know for sure. Campbell didn't say anything about it, but he may also know better than to stir up another controversy, because it would accomplish nothing.

Also, remember that in '99, we complained that a rule that was on the books was _not_ enforced in a critical situation. In this case, a rule that is on the books _was_ enforced in a critical situation. We Buffalo fans can't have it both ways. While I don't like the rule (and I can't imagine it remaining a rule come next season), I don't blame it for this loss.

Why don't you also mention that Eric Cole, Carolina's star player and at the time of his injury a top three consensus pick for player of the year, was out for the entire series as well.

702349[/snapback]

Eric Cole - +19, 59 pts.

Tom Connolly, +5, 55 pts.

Teppo Numminen +6, 40 pts

Henrik Tallinder +10, 21 pts

Dmitri Kalinin +14, 18 pts

Jay McKee +0, 11 pts

Don't even try to sell that sh-- here. You really want us to believe that losing one winger is the same as losing a center and four starting defensemen? Particularly when Tallinder at +10 is basically replaced by a guy (Rory Fitzpatrick) with a -19.

If you honestly believe that's an equitable trade-off - Cole for those five players - then you simply don't know anything about hockey...and we can safely ignore the rest of your posts on the subject. :doh:

If the sabres were healthy, they'd have swept or won in 5... I can hang my hat on that... I will also thoroughly enjoy watching edmonton destroy the old, battered canes. If it will finally get mike peca's name on the cup, then its worth it...

Eric Cole - +19, 59 pts.

Tom Connolly, +5, 55 pts.

Teppo Numminen +6, 40 pts

Henrik Tallinder +10, 21 pts

Dmitri Kalinin +14, 18 pts

Jay McKee  +0, 11 pts

Don't even try to sell that sh-- here.  You really want us to believe that losing one winger is the same as losing a center and four starting defensemen?  Particularly when Tallinder at +10 is basically replaced by a guy (Rory Fitzpatrick) with a -19.

If you honestly believe that's an equitable trade-off - Cole for those five players - then you simply don't know anything about hockey...and we can safely ignore the rest of your posts on the subject.  :doh:

702638[/snapback]

Losing 4 of your top 5 defensemen is the equivalent of losing 8 starters on your defense in the NFL. Would any team be able to win one playoff game with that?

Look at Carolina's record before Cole's injury and then take a look at it after his injury.  If thats not enough to tell you just how valuable he is to the team, I don't know what is.  Carolina was looked like a well oiled machine before his injury.  After he went down, they saw their winning percentage for the rest of the season dip below 50% and they even lost 5 in a row during one stretch.  I know must guys on this board don't like giving any credit to the 'experts' at ESPN, but several of the sports writers were saying that Carolina was a team on the decline heading into the playoffs and they would be lucky  to advance out of the first series because of how cold they were playing, and the injury to Eric Cole.  And Cole does a lot more then just hit anything that moves.  He puts the puck in the net quite a bit too.  Again, you can look up the stats if you want.  I do give Buffalo a hell of a lot of credit, but I'm not going to let anyone convince me that Carolina played a team that wasn't up to the challenge and that the victory was tainted.  And as for Weight, he could have chosen any team he wanted and he chose to play for Carolina.  You can't hold that against the team either.  I remember back in 2000 or 2001 when Carolina was the huge underdog against the Devils.  They went out and won game 1 and although that was the only game in the series they won, every single game the rest of the way went down to the wire with two games going into overtime.  When its playoff time, you can throw talent out of the window.  Either you have heart and catch a few lucky breaks, or you don't.  In closing, i'm not attacking Buffalo fans or the team.  I'm just saying that Carolina has worked their asses off this season to get to where they are.  They are filled with veterens and are an aging team and with the exception of cole, stall, and ward, many of their 'big name' players don't have more then 2 to 3 years left.  I'm glad to see them get a chance to take home the cup this year!!

702626[/snapback]

Sorry, but that is not enough to tell me that Cole is a "consensus top 3 pick for player of the year". That was a foolish thing to say yesterday and it is a foolish statement to defend today.

Also, the people that picked Montreal to beat your Canes could not have possible expected that hack Williams to high stick Koivu in the eye (and not even get a penalty for it, WTF). (Although I guess, in hindsight, we should have expected it.) Montreal was up 1-0 in the 3rd game of that series, heading into the 3rd period (oddly enough, the 1st period that Koivu didn't play). If Williams doesn't hack him, Carolina is sitting at home for the past month.

As far as "throwing talent out the window" in the playoffs, that is just plain funny. The Sabres had more talent thrown under the bus than any playoff team at anytime in any sport that I can think of, and were still less than 20 minutes away from defeating the presumably loaded with heart Canes. The Sabres lost their best playmaking centerman (sound similiar to losing your best winger?) and 4 of their top 6 defensemen. That is 2/3's of their defensemen. They had to make up 40 minutes per game at both D spots with a 7th D man that was a significant downgrade to any of the top 6 and 3 AHLers that had played a grand total of THREE NHL games this season. Two of the 3 were rookies.

With all that, you honestly believe that the HEALTHY Hurricanes had more HEART than the Sabres? Yes, the HEALTHY Hurricanes. They picked up Recchi and Weight to replace Cole and had the same lineup all 7 games in the series.

The Canes barely squeaked by a depleted Sabres squad. Your wishing that they had beaten the Sabres varsity squad doesn't change that fact.

Enjoy your team's run, but don't go spouting out inanities and expect to not be challenged.

Hard to imagine a worse mandatory call than that delay of game last night.  I can understand if it's intentional, then you are "delaying the game."  What happens when you ice the puck?  How come that's not a penalty? 

I knew they were cursed when Carolina scored the first goal off a guy's shoulder 8 feet from the goal.  The guy didn't even know it hit him. 

The Sabres had, what, 2 power plays....and both were cut short by penalties...the 2nd one was a horrible call. 

I've read and heard enough about how the team was shorthanded by 7 players.  It's no compensation to me.  To have to wait another year and another 3 rounds of playoffs, with horrible officiating and all the b.s., I'm not sure I have the heart for this. 

I am proud of the team, and the effort.  Carolina makes me puke, whiny bastards, and I'm not sure I can watch a minute of the finals.  I'd like to see them get swept, although that might make people think less of the Sabres.

702098[/snapback]

Fans like you make me puke, whiny bastard. Quit cryin about calls, you make the rest of us look bad.

heck yeah! I'm glad someone finally agrees with me on that. I'm done talking on the subject. Again, I tip my hate to Buffalo and I wish them the best of luck next season. They are a young team with a lot to look forward to. However, I am going to prepare to enjoy the Canes hoisting up the cup and no one is going to lesson that experience for me. If the sabers want to cry and say they were hurt and banged up, then heal up over the offseason and prove next season that injuries were the reason they couldn't overpower an again Canes team.

Go Canes and go Bills!!!!!!!

Fans like you make me puke, whiny bastard.  Quit cryin about calls, you make the rest of us look bad.

702661[/snapback]

the word i was trying to type is 'aging' Canes team. They are one of the oldest teams in the league and playing like they could play forever!

heck yeah!  I'm glad someone finally agrees with me on that.  I'm done talking on the subject.  Again, I tip my hate to Buffalo and I wish them the best of luck next season.  They are a young team with a lot to look forward to.  However, I am going to prepare to enjoy the Canes hoisting up the cup and no one is going to lesson that experience for me.  If the sabers want to cry and say they were hurt and banged up, then heal up over the offseason and prove next season that injuries were the reason they couldn't overpower an again Canes team.

702726[/snapback]

heck yeah!  I'm glad someone finally agrees with me on that.  I'm done talking on the subject.  Again, I tip my hate to Buffalo and I wish them the best of luck next season.  They are a young team with a lot to look forward to.  However, I am going to prepare to enjoy the Canes hoisting up the cup and no one is going to lesson that experience for me.  If the sabers want to cry and say they were hurt and banged up, then heal up over the offseason and prove next season that injuries were the reason they couldn't overpower an again Canes team.

702726[/snapback]

Seriously, do you think the Canes would have won game seven if the Sabres had Tallinder, Kallinin, Numminen and McKee, and the Canes were without Ward, Kaberle, Hedican and Wesley?

I didn't think so. Even keeping all of the Sabres out of there, if the Canes lost four of their top five defensemen the Sabres would have likely dominated.

Seriously, do you think the Canes would have won game seven if the Sabres had Tallinder, Kallinin, Numminen and McKee, and the Canes were without Ward, Kaberle, Hedican and Wesley?

I didn't think so. Even keeping all of the Sabres out of there, if the Canes lost four of their top five defensemen the Sabres would have likely dominated.

702733[/snapback]

I agree... You can look at injuries in three ways now... Used to be 2...

1) what if??

2) We can't use injuries as an excuse

3) The Buffalo Sabres are so full of great depth, coaching and heart that they would have wiped their collective asses with the carolina hurricanes and edmonton oilers. Then they would have pissed on the stanley cup, specifically the section denoting the 1998-1999 champions. I'm not confident in this, i'm not fairly confident either. its a straight up fact.

I agree...  You can look at injuries in three ways now...  Used to be 2... 

1)  what if??

2)  We can't use injuries as an excuse

3)  The Buffalo Sabres are so full of great depth, coaching and heart that they would have wiped their collective asses with the carolina hurricanes and edmonton oilers.  Then they would have pissed on the stanley cup, specifically the section denoting the 1998-1999 champions.  I'm not confident in this, i'm not fairly confident either.  its a straight up fact.

702737[/snapback]

No, we can use injuries as an excuse. Losing almost EVERYONE on the defense in 10 games is a pretty good excuse.

Which doesn't mean the Canes didn't win fair and square...injuries are part of the game, after all. Sabres just had freakishly bad luck in that regard. So once again, I'd like to congratulate the Carolina Hurricanes for beating the Rochester Amerks in 7 games... :doh: