Article on Tampa 2 defence on front page

I know very little about the defence and I couldn't have written that article. I was hoping it was a detailed explanation. If anyone could any anything further, it would be appreciated.

699970[/snapback]

Link?

I know very little about the defence and I couldn't have written that article. I was hoping it was a detailed explanation. If anyone could any anything further, it would be appreciated.

699970[/snapback]

What part of the Tampa-2 defense dont you understand? i may be able to help out a bit? The link gave a decent overview tho.

What part of the Tampa-2 defense dont you understand? i may be able to help out a bit? The link gave a decent overview tho.

699974[/snapback]

For spme reason I am not seeing the link. Can you give me the name of the website.

The way the cover 2 looks in x's and o's is that the 2 safeties cover the deep side of the receivers path, where as the corners cover underneath. The linebackers also drop back into zone with the OLB's going off to the sides to cover outside runs/passes and screens, with the MLB covering medium/deep range over the middle. The DL is relied on for all pressure.

The way the cover 2 looks in x's and o's is that the 2 safeties cover the deep side of the receivers path, where as the corners cover underneath.  The linebackers also drop back into zone with the OLB's going off to the sides to cover outside runs/passes and screens, with the MLB covering medium/deep range over the middle.  The DL is relied on for all pressure.

700068[/snapback]

This could be a problem.

699970[/snapback]

hope this helps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2

Pass Defense

The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 formation in which all pass responsibilities are zone coverage (instead of Man-to-man). Zone coverage is where players are assigned an area on the field which they are to cover:

*The safeties and middle linebacker cover the deep half: areas of the field usually extending from about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the endzone, divided into thirds by the middle of the field). The middle linebacker drops into deep coverage, making what first looks like a Cover 2 into a Cover 3.

*The cornerbacks cover the flats: the area of the field extending about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and from the last man on the offensive line to the sideline.

*Outside linebackers cover the box: the two outside linebackers split the middle of the field consisting of the area within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and in between the two flats into halves.

Run defense

*To defend running plays, the Tampa 2 is a single gap defense where each player is responsible to defend his own gap. The assigned gap changes with game conditions and personnel.

*Typically this style of defense utilizes smaller but faster linemen and linebackers with above average speed. Also the defensive backs must be above average hitters as well.

Footballoutsiders also has a great site to help explain the system. I hope this helps explain it for ya.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=167&cat=1