Anyone here have a kickass backyard?

SDS

:o I like it better when you're mean.

700167[/snapback]

Three days. Three days that refrain's been stuck in my head. And I don't know why; it's been at least a year since I heard that song. Not even Dancing Queen's getting it out of my head.

Three days. I must have about two thousand variations on it by now...

"Sometimes your picture goes "thud", when you look out the window and your yard's full of mud..."

Sorry...still stuck on Gordon Lightfoot...so sorry...

700160[/snapback]

Who is Gordon Lightfoot?? Probably too young to know who he is. :o

Thats Harry Chapin...

700202[/snapback]

No, no...Harry Chapin wrote a book called "Cats Cradle," and Gordon Lightfoot wrote "Cats in the Cradle" with Cat Stevens, which is where Cat Stevens actually got his name. Not a lot of people know this, but before that song, his name was just Stevens.

True story. :o

after clearing a bunch of scrub trees, I'm looking for ideas for the backyard. We already have a nice swingset for the kids that I will be expanding to accomodate some additional play equipment I inherited from the neighbor.  We have a 16x16 deck, but now I am wondering what to do next...

Does anyone have one particular aspect they like about their yard or their neighbor's yard?  A particular entertainment setup or a well used child's play station perhaps?

699816[/snapback]

My yard includes:

16x32 foot in-ground pool with a great concrete patio around it.

A nice veggie garden for salads and herbs like basil.

Well placed arborvitaes (sp), locust trees, a couple maples, and lilac trees.

A chiminea (ceramic) on the deck for small fires, marshmallow toasting and s'mores.

Play yard and other equipment that makes it as nice or better than the local town playground. :o

A badmitten or volleyball net set up for the season.

A three tiered fountain.

A peach tree.

I would love to add a hot tub, but wonder how much use it would really get.

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to mow and trim, but I enjoy working in the yard.!

"Sometimes your picture goes "thud", when you look out the window and your yard's full of mud..."

Sorry...still stuck on Gordon Lightfoot...so sorry...

700160[/snapback]

Start thinking about Midnight at the Oasis, and Lightfoot will go away.

Now you will be stuck with Maria Muldaur. That was her worst song and her only hit. :o

No, no...Harry Chapin wrote a book called "Cats Cradle," and Gordon Lightfoot wrote "Cats in the Cradle" with Cat Stevens, which is where Cat Stevens actually got his name. Not a lot of people know this, but before that song, his name was just Stevens.

True story. :o

700206[/snapback]

Speaking of Cat Stevens, have you heard Jimmy Cliff's (reggae) version of Wild World?

We be jammin' - on Ice Nine!

How about a pond with a fountain.  I saw one this weekend that was awesome.  Nice brick surrounding a pool with goldfish in it.  It was awesome and my kids loved it.  I don't have one, but I'd love to.

699821[/snapback]

I have one that has been in operation for quite a few years , and bow am in the planning stages for a KOI pond that will be larger ( and of course more expensive ). You are right most kids love feeding the fish and watching them , since the ponds are really quite shallow as opposed to a swimming pool they are really quite safe , but as with all things young and inquisitive , vigilence is the key.

Moving water is very soothing , and relaxing . Birds , butterflies love them and if you plan well enough they are not really hard to upkeep, of course it helps with the upkeep that I live in NC where winters last about 3 Buffalo Days.

A chiminea (ceramic) on the deck for small fires, marshmallow toasting and s'mores.

700443[/snapback]

Wow. How very California of you. :lol: I never heard of a chiminea until I moved west.

Then again, I never heard of carnitas, El Nino, and bikers being allowed to drive between lanes on the highway until I moved here, either.

Wow. How very California of you. :lol: I never heard of a chiminea until I moved west.

Then again, I never heard of carnitas, El Nino, and bikers being allowed to drive between lanes on the highway until I moved here, either.

700669[/snapback]

chiminea's are gay....fieldstone fireplace is the only way to go.

chiminea's are gay....fieldstone fireplace is the only way to go.

700672[/snapback]

I don't think they're gay. At least not like "driving a FIT" is gay. Instead of thinking people who use chimineas are gay, we should just assume they're bi-curious. :lol:

after clearing a bunch of scrub trees, I'm looking for ideas for the backyard. We already have a nice swingset for the kids that I will be expanding to accomodate some additional play equipment I inherited from the neighbor.  We have a 16x16 deck, but now I am wondering what to do next...

Does anyone have one particular aspect they like about their yard or their neighbor's yard?  A particular entertainment setup or a well used child's play station perhaps?

699816[/snapback]

When I see a backyard (rare in SOCAL), I find the most interesting and distinct feature to be a water thingy. There is something very soothing about bubbling water; either a wall sculpture or some kind of built in.

The gazebo/pergola is nice for some shade (if you are tree-poor) but water music is my cup of tea for relaxing. I have seen them make the smallest space more placid

I have one that has been in operation for quite a few years , and bow am in the planning stages for a KOI pond that will be larger ( and of course more expensive ). You are right most kids love feeding the fish and watching them , since the ponds are really quite shallow as opposed to a swimming pool they are really quite safe , but as with all things young and inquisitive , vigilence is the key.

Moving water is very soothing , and relaxing . Birds , butterflies love them and if you plan well enough they are not really hard to upkeep, of course it helps with the upkeep that I live in NC where winters last about 3 Buffalo Days.

700592[/snapback]

I knew fancy homes in Amherst & Clarence with koi ponds - they just kept a bubbler going all winter to prevent ice - sometimes :D

The koi still got cold and became very sluggish but most survived until the spring

I use to push mow my yard. But I said screw it this year and rather than buying a rider I pay my neighbor who mows for a living to do the yard. $30.00 a week and saves 3-4 hours of my weekend......and it looks fantastic!!!!

I use to push mow my yard. But I said screw it this year and rather than buying a rider I pay my neighbor who mows for a living to do the yard. $30.00 a week and saves 3-4 hours of my weekend......and it looks fantastic!!!!

701189[/snapback]

$30 a week? Damn, you need you some illegals in your area.