Chris Villarrial....

I know it is not supposed to be a big deal that guys don't show up for the OTA's, but does anyone know if Villareal has a legit reason (beyond the fact that it is voluntary) for not participating in the OTA's? I hadn't heard anything. It is kind of alarming, to me, because in the past, the Bills have always had excellent attendence for these workouts. Eleven vetran no shows seems like a lot. Guys like McGahee I don't expect much from, but Villarrial, in particular surprises me, because he was supposed to be a big Dick Jauron proponent. I am just getting a very bad feeling about the way this season is starting out.

Good point.  Watching what they do over what they say may reveal more.  Besides, why would a coach with a career losing record and a history of offenses that suck hind teet have much respect from an offense?

699829[/snapback]

Of anyone, I'd expect the ex-Bears to have respect for Jauron. Villareal has gone out and said as much. I imagine it was discussed between them. In the meantime, I thought CV really wore down last year so if he expects to start (and, to be honest, I'd love to see someone else outplay him), I don't mind him putting less miles on the tires right now to save it for later.

Good attendance at all OTAs hasn't exactly translated into great success on the field for us anyway.

699925[/snapback]

Very true, I realize, but some of the guys that have not been there are the guys who have, at least on the surface, been called "team leaders"...Villarrial, Fletcher and Vincent especially.

Very true, I realize, but some of the guys that have not been there are the guys who have, at least on the surface, been called "team leaders"...Villareal, Fletcher and Vincent especially.

700024[/snapback]

Indeed. Eleven not showing up is aproximately 20 percent of the roster that suits up for a regulation game. I realize that some players show up, and really don't participate. But being there, even if only in civilian clothes, or hobbled by injury, counts...it goes towards a team, versus an individual.

Not a good sign...

I know it is not supposed to be a big deal that guys don't show up for the OTA's, but does anyone know if Villareal has a legit reason (beyond the fact that it is voluntary) for not participating in the OTA's?  I hadn't heard anything.  It is kind of alarming, to me, because in the past, the Bills have always had excellent attendence for these workouts.  Eleven vetran no shows seems like a lot.  Guys like McGahee I don't expect much from, but Villareal, in particular surprises me, because he was supposed to be a big Dick Jauron proponent.  I am just getting a very bad feeling about the way this season is starting out.

699799[/snapback]

Indeed, much like Fletcher missing these too.

I think one mistake that is made is to consider that a player missing the OTAs is the same as another player missing the OTAs. This is simply not the case.

If a player sits it out with no word to anyone and goes off drinking and recruiting additional baby mothers that is one thing.

If a player misses this organized training activity but participates in another training regime seriously like the one at the U or something like that it is something else.

If a player misses to be inducted in the Division IIA HOF (as happened with Moorman) that is one thing.

If a player is at home diligently pursuing his own regime and he always shows up ready to play historically (as Larry Centers always did and in essence he told HW to back off when GW whined about players not attending voluntray activities) thats something else.

If a player's big problem seems to be mileage and he stays away to give his body another week of rest (as I guess that may be with Villarial) that is something else.

In fact, id a player blows off visiting his sick Mom or Dad in the hospital to go do a valuntay worjout with the boys, I'd question seriously whether a player who attended an OYA was a high character guy.

One size fits all simply does not apply to these "voluntary" workouts.

I think one mistake that is made is to consider that a player missing the OTAs is the same as another player missing the OTAs. This is simply not the case.

If a player sits it out with no word to anyone and goes off drinking and recruiting additional baby mothers that is one thing.

If a player misses this organized training activity but participates in another training regime seriously like the one at the U or something like that it is something else.

If a player misses to be inducted in the Division IIA HOF (as happened with Moorman) that is one thing.

If a player is at home diligently pursuing his own regime and he always shows up ready to play historically (as Larry Centers always did and in essence he told HW to back off when GW whined about players not attending voluntray activities) thats something else.

If a player's big problem seems to be mileage and he stays away to give his body another week of rest (as I guess that may be with Villarial) that is something else.

In fact, id a player blows off visiting his sick Mom or Dad in the hospital to go do a valuntay worjout with the boys, I'd question seriously whether a player who attended an OYA was a high character guy.

One size fits all simply does not apply to these "voluntary" workouts.

700225[/snapback]

Oh believe me, I know what you are saying. It is just that in the past, the Bills never really had any issue with this many guys missing these things. I have seen and heard London Fletcher everywhere the last few weeks...he says all the right things, but you know what they say about actions and words.

I know these are all good guys, you would just think, with a youth infusion (on the field), and a new coach, these guys would find a way to be there. I don't know what the reason is for Villarrial not being there, I was just surprised, as he was very "rah-rah" about Dick Jauron. Just from some of the things going on this off season, and comments made by guys like McGahee, I am just wondering if "team spirit" is as high as we would like it to be, particularly among the remaining vetrans.

On the plus side, I liked what I have heard about Peerless Price being happy (and humbled?) to be back in Buffalo...I think that this is one of Marvs' "stupid" moves that might look pretty smart in the end.

I don't see why this is an issue. I'm pretty sure the rules state that for a player to be criticized (and in some extreme cases, demonized) for missing OTAs, he has to meet four(4) of the following five(5) criteria:

a). Under 25 years old

b). Black

c). From a Florida school ending in "IAMI"

d). Sound retarded on interviews

e). Hate baby mommas

Looks like CV meets zero(O) of these.* Guess he is off the hook.

*pending an investigation determining his feelings toward baby mommas

PFW Chat Yesterday

Mike in the Buff: How bad are the Bills?

Mike Holbrook: (4:13 PM ET ) Mike: It's not a good sign having so many veterans, several of whom are known as leaders, not to show up for the OTAs. I still have big reservations about the quality of their offensive line and obviously the QB situation. In that division, with top playoff contenders like the Patriots and Dolphins, I really see the Bills struggling to win five games.

Darryl in the Buff: Mike, don't know how you think the Bills will only win 5 games, their defense WILL be much better, they WILL have an offensive identity, they have a good schedule at the end of the year in the cold, and their OVERALL coaching is much improved. You should put them on your 'Could Surprise' list.

Mike Holbrook: (4:48 PM ET ) Darryl: Having grown up in Western New York, I would love to. Don't think it'll happen this year, however.

Of anyone, I'd expect the ex-Bears to have respect for Jauron.  Villareal has gone out and said as much.  I imagine it was discussed between them.  In the meantime, I thought CV really wore down last year so if he expects to start (and, to be honest, I'd love to see someone else outplay him), I don't mind him putting less miles on the tires right now to save it for later.

699862[/snapback]

Talk is one thing, actions are another. Besides, WTH do you expect CV to say about Jauron, his new boss? Come on here.

As to seeing someone else outplay him, it'd be a very sad testimony to our roster of linemen if someone can't. Unfortunately it may not happen, which speaks for itself.

The Bills at present have one of the worst lines in the league.

Indeed, much like Fletcher missing these too.

700126[/snapback]

Fletcher will have new responsibilities in the new defense. Would be better to get a start on them now. He has been decent in pass coverage before, but it would be good if he was in there.

They say, well they can pick it up in training camp. Players, especially starters, that aren't participating in these OTAs will slow down the learning process come training camp. Because it'll be new to them, they won't understand things or make mistakes they might not make if they knew the system better. ANy vets that have been there will have their progress slowed by the "slackers".

The Bills at present have one of the worst lines in the league.

700691[/snapback]

Just picked up the USA TODAY Sports Weekly NFL preview. As of right now, they have the Bills ranked dead last in their power rankings. Just to give you an idea, Pittsburgh is at #1, with 219 points, the Bills are last with 17 points. Either Ralph and Marv are going to look like stinkin' geniouses next season, or it is going to be a very long season...I can't decide which.