Bills to Go Winless This Year?

I was listening to a so-called football "expert" on a local radio station here in the Denver area this week. First he talked about the Broncos, and the true contenders for this year's Superbowl.

Then, the topic turned to the worst teams in the NFL. . .

He mentioned San Francisco as 31st worst and Buffalo as the dead last team, ranked 32nd in the league. He went on that this year's Bills team has a real chance to go winless.

He mentioned the following:

1) A likely disasterous 3-way QB rotation that will be unsettled all year.

2) A miserable O-line that wasn't really addressed this offseason.

3) An unmotivated and likely disenchanted Willis McGahee

3) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

4) A retread, losing head coach that features offenses that make Mike Ditka's offenses of yesteryear look innovative.

5) A draft that consisted of very little immediate help, with two huge blunders in the first round.

6) A schedule that looks tough on paper and could lead to a history making 0-16 season. He said the Bills likely will NOT be favored in any game this year!

This clown would, on the surface, have no reason to bash the Bills. He objectively thought they'd have a real shot at "making history".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to a so-called football "expert" on a local radio station here in the Denver area this week. First he talked about the Broncos, and the true contenders for this year's Superbowl.

He mentioned San Francisco as 31st worst and Buffalo as the dead last team, ranked 32nd in the league. He went on that this year's Bills team has a real chance to go winless.

3) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

4) A retread, losing head coach that features offenses that make Mike Ditka's offenses of yesteryear look innovative.

5) A draft that consisted of very little immediate help, with two huge blunders in the first round.

6) A schedule that looks tough on paper and could lead to a history making 0-16 season. He said the Bills likely will NOT be favored in any game this year!

This clown would, on the surface, have no reason to bash the Bills. He objectively thought they'd have a real shot at "making history".

698983[/snapback]

Rebuttal time :o

1: Um...maybe....but it gives us 3 chances for one to pan out. This is probably his best point but several teams appear in 'guess mode' at QB.

2: Um...maybe....if the glass is half empty. If half full, we have a LT that most analysts say is competent(not a star). New LG & C via FA wich are upgrades. RG should be healthier than last year. RT is a future stud/star.

3: Um...maybe...but at least we have a receiver who looks like he might step up to become a #1 WR unlike half the NFL. Speaking of height at WR, wasn't the NFL leader at catches, yards & TDs the 5-9 Steve Smith? Wasn't the #2 yardage leader the 5-10 Santana Moss?

4: Um...maybe....but also a former NFL coach of the Year who's team the following year was devastated by injury & he had massive power struggles when his GM changed. We managed to hire the best available innovative & experienced Offensive Coordinator. 1/3 of NFL teams had to make do with first year rookie Offensive Coordinators this off-season.

5: Um...this one is ridiculous. Most analysts, though calling Whittner a reach, had him down as one of the most ready to play players in the draft. Usually the draft provides very little immediate help regardless of its perceived grade.

Also, a blunder is only a blunder if it does not pan out. In 4 years time we will know, until then, it's all just speculation.

6: Um...what planet is this guy from? We have 5 games against teams who had worse records than us last year and another 2 against teams with losing records.

It's not the easiest schedule but it certainly cannot be considered 'hard'.

What a FERNIDIOT

698983[/snapback]

What a fugging joke. This guy's arguments are weak. No team has gone winless since the inception of the 16 game schedule and the Bills won't be the first to do it this year. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that a team will go 16-0 before one goes 0-16. The talent level around the league is just too close for a team to lose all of its games. There are only a handful of true "haves" and the rest of the "have nots" are separated by the slimmest of margins making a winless year implausible.

Rebuttal time  :o

1:  Um...maybe....but it gives us 3 chances for one to pan out.  This is probably his best point but several teams appear in 'guess mode' at QB.

2:  Um...maybe....if the glass is half empty.  If half full, we have a LT that most analysts say is competent(not a star).  New LG & C via FA wich are upgrades.  RG should be healthier than last year.  RT is a future stud/star.

3:  Um...maybe...but at least we have a receiver who looks like he might step up to become a #1 WR unlike half the NFL.  Speaking of height at WR, wasn't the NFL leader at catches, yards & TDs the 5-9 Steve Smith?  Wasn't the #2 yardage leader the 5-10 Santana Moss?

4:  Um...maybe....but also a former NFL coach of the Year who's team the following year was devastated by injury & he had massive power struggles when his GM changed.  We managed to hire the best available innovative & experienced Offensive Coordinator.  1/3 of NFL teams had to make do with first year rookie Offensive Coordinators this off-season.

5:  Um...this one is ridiculous.  Most analysts, though calling Whittner a reach, had him down as one of the most ready to play players in the draft.  Usually the draft provides very little immediate help regardless of its perceived grade. 

Also, a blunder is only a blunder if it does not pan out.  In 4 years time we will know, until then, it's all just speculation.

6:  Um...what planet is this guy from?  We have 5 games against teams who had worse records than us last year and another 2 against teams with losing records.

It's not the easiest schedule but it certainly cannot be considered 'hard'.

What a FERNIDIOT

698991[/snapback]

Nice rebuttal.

Rebuttal 2

Not very likely. Marv won't put up with it and neither will Jauron. A #1 will be named and they will stick with him.

Nonsense. Misters Williams, and Teague were given new home addresses this offseason. It's likely Mr. Anderson will also be filling out the USPS mail-forwarding paperwork soon too.

The new Offense will not remove Mr. McGahee on third downs. Willis has a highway to NFL stardom.

3) (sic) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

Mark Clayton, Mark Duper proved no size, great speed can = lots of success.

The Bills have one of the fastest receiving corps in the NFL.

Ah! The old coach. Only unproven Coordinators and retired SB Winning Coaches are good choices! Of course. Let's see... Lombardi and Landry weren't available - never returned Marv's phone calls. Neither did Vermeil or Walsh.

Parcells? - he's already busy doing something, as are Holmgren, Sha-na-na, BillyChick, Billick, Chowder, and Gibbs.

Such Idiot's Delight - Why does this goofball have TWO Number Threes in his list? That doesn't strike me as good value right there.

That's fine with me. But I'd be more concerned if the schedule looks tough on the field rather than on paper.

Who cares what a bunch of hare-brained talk jocks and pundits think?

I don't look to them - nor to their opinions about my favorite sports franchise - to gain anything. The Niners were disrespected too - until "The Catch." etc., etc., etc.

Marino was respected all the way to Canton - but he never won the big one.

WTF Cares?

Rebuttal 2

Not very likely. Marv won't put up with it and neither will Jauron. A #1 will be named and they will stick with him.

Nonsense. Misters Williams, and Teague were given new home addresses this offseason. It's likely Mr. Anderson will also be filling out the USPS mail-forwarding paperwork soon too.

The new Offense will not remove Mr. McGahee on third downs. Willis has a highway to NFL stardom.

3) (sic) The loss of Eric Moulds leaving the team with no proven #1 WR and a true lack of size at the position

Mark Clayton, Mark Duper proved no size, great speed can = lots of success.

The Bills have one of the fastest receiving corps in the NFL.

Ah! The old coach. Only unproven Coordinators and retired SB Winning Coaches are good choices! Of course. Let's see... Lombardi and Landry weren't available - never returned Marv's phone calls. Neither did Vermeil or Walsh.

Parcells? - he's already busy doing something, as are Holmgren, Sha-na-na, BillyChick, Billick, Chowder, and Gibbs.

Such Idiot's Delight - Why does this goofball have TWO Number Threes in his list? That doesn't strike me as good value right there.

That's fine with me. But I'd be more concerned if the schedule looks tough on the field rather than on paper.

Who cares what a bunch of hare-brained talk jocks and pundits think?

I don't look to them - nor to their opinions about my favorite sports franchise - to gain anything. The Niners were disrespected too - until "The Catch." etc., etc., etc.

Marino was respected all the way to Canton - but he never won the big one.

WTF Cares?

699026[/snapback]

Nice rebuttal, part deux.

I have to say I am concerned about losing Moulds as well. Lee Evans is a great number two but I think he is going to end up like Peerless Price as a number one receiver. The reason clayton and duper worked is because they had dan marino throwing them the ball. If you have a hall of fame QB the wide receivers do not matter as much.

698983[/snapback]

On paper, he's right. If you look at the track record of the players, coaching and management here and compare it to the rest of the league, they are the worst(DFL) or very near it.

The question is whether this group of players is as weak as they appear to be on the surface(past history, lack of size, speed, athleticism etc.) or are they a group that will rally and find some success by the synergy of playing as a team?

As a Bills fan, I've never seen a good Bills team that didn't have a talent advantage over their opponents almost every week. The 80's and 90's Bills were ALL about personnel(sorry, Walt Corey), so it's really hard to be optimistic when you realize that the team is now lining up players of such mediocre pedigree and especially hard when you look at the track record of the coaching staff. I'm not saying the Bills players are BAD, but it has the look of an expansion team packed with projected starters who were not good enough to start elsewhere or who were let go because teams thought they needed to improve over them.

There are really only 5 good frontline players/playmakers on this team, an anemic figure by league standards, Clements/Spikes/Schobel on D and Evans/McGahee on O. Clements can't get his hands on passes if there is no pass rush, the news on Spikes recovery is somewhat discouraging, Evans is hamstrung by the lack of a proven passer and McGahee doesn't appear to care enough about the game to be bothered with the finer points. There are a handful of promising young players, but no more than most teams have and less than you might expect from a team that has been out of the playoffs for such a long time.

As for their predicted record, the Bills of 2003-2004 lost more than a seasons worth of road games in a row with a lot more talent than these Bills, so it's certainly not a stretch that they would go 0-8 this year, and among the home opponents, the only team they stand toe-to-toe with right now is the Jets. I see them as a 2-14 team with wins against the Packers and Jets at the Ralph.

On paper, he's right.  If you look at the track record of the players, coaching and management here and compare it to the rest of the league, they are the worst(DFL) or very near it. 

The question is whether this group of players is as weak as they appear to be on the surface(past history, lack of size, speed, athleticism etc.) or are they a group that will rally and find some success by the synergy of playing as a team?

As a Bills fan, I've never seen a good Bills team that didn't have a talent advantage over their opponents almost every week.  The 80's and 90's Bills were ALL about personnel(sorry, Walt Corey), so it's really hard to be optimistic when you realize that the team is now lining up players of such mediocre pedigree and especially hard when you look at the track record of the coaching staff.  I'm not saying the Bills players are BAD, but it has the look of an expansion team packed with projected starters who were not good enough to start elsewhere or who were let go because teams thought they needed to improve over them.

There are really only 5 good frontline players/playmakers on this team, an anemic figure by league standards, Clements/Spikes/Schobel on D and Evans/McGahee on O.  Clements can't get his hands on passes if there is no pass rush, the news on Spikes recovery is somewhat discouraging, Evans is hamstrung by the lack of a proven passer and McGahee doesn't appear to care enough about the game to be bothered with the finer points.  There are a handful of promising young players, but no more than most teams have and less than you might expect from a team that has been out of the playoffs for such a long time.

As for their predicted record, the Bills of 2003-2004 lost more than a seasons worth of road games in a row with a lot more talent than these Bills, so it's certainly not a stretch that they would go 0-8 this year, and among the home opponents, the only team they stand toe-to-toe with right now is the Jets.  I see them as a 2-14 team with wins against the Packers and Jets at the Ralph.

699128[/snapback]

I have to mostly agree with this. As for the promising 'young veteran' type of player outside of the 5 guys you mentioned, I can't really think of anyone outside of McGee; and maybe Crowell? It's possible Parrish or Whitner or Losman can become one of those guys, but they still have everything to prove and as you said every team has guys like that on their roster.

The only positive I can come up with is that we're not clearly worse than last year at any position besides WR, so I think 2-14 is a bit pessimistic. I think we'd be favored at home vs. Tennessee. Between Minnesota, Miami, Jacksonville at home; Jets, Texans, Lions on the road - I think they win a couple of those games as well so probably 5-11 again.

I have to mostly agree with this.  As for the promising 'young veteran' type of player outside of the 5 guys you mentioned, I can't really think of anyone outside of McGee; and maybe Crowell?  It's possible Parrish or Whitner or Losman can become one of those guys, but they still have everything to prove and as you said every team has guys like that on their roster.

The only positive I can come up with is that we're not clearly worse than last year at any position besides WR, so I think 2-14 is a bit pessimistic.  I think we'd be favored at home vs. Tennessee.  Between Minnesota, Miami, Jacksonville at home; Jets, Texans, Lions on the road - I think they win a couple of those games as well so probably 5-11 again.

699135[/snapback]

McGee is a a very good cover corner, but cover 2 negates his game. Crowell is a decent player, but I think his upside is limited by suspect instincts. A gimpy Spikes could still unseat him on the weakside and for some reason I have a feeling the poster boy of the Bills expansion-like mediocrity, Jeff Posey, will beat him out on the strong side.

One of the truly jack-assed things about this team is the embarrassment of riches the team has as far as athletes in the secondary(their only exceptionally talented group), when the one great advantage of zone coverage is not needing great athletes in the secondary to excel. Zone corners are usually safety/corner hybrids which are easy to find in the draft and free agency and much cheaper than cover corners. The place where you need talent to run a cover 2 is the defensive line, which just so happens to be the second weakest unit on the team next to their offensieve line.

:o

Great posting, Badol... I think you nailed it. :o

I also see wins over the Jets and Packers at home... but I don't think this team goes 0-8 the 2nd half of the season, so I'll say we beat the Titans in December to finish 3-13.

Also, I remember a pro-TD thread in here back in 2004 (probably during the winning streak) saying that the overall talent level on the Bills was very good... so good in fact that there were only a handful of teams that you would want to trade entire rosters for. I don't know if I totally agreed, but I thought the argument was fairly convincing.

Right now, I'd be hard-pressed to find more than a handful of teams that I wouldn't trade entire rosters for, particularly when looking at both lines and the QB. :o

I hope this team proves me wrong.

698983[/snapback]

And which of those is there overwhelming evidence against?

1. OK, may be a two-way rotation. But since when has any QB played well on a Jauron coached team?

2. Can't argue that at all.

3. Evans should fill the void, but we have no idea since he's "never been the one" before. I have confidence, but until it happens we won't know for sure. Who's gonna be the #2 is the better question. Many of you are already penciling in Price as being solid. But he's flat out sucked in recent seasons.

4. Can anyone truly argue that. I don't think so. Jauron's Os have been pathetic.

5. We won't know if Whitner and McCargo are blunders or not until sometime late this season or maybe even early next. It's very unlikely that a couple of junior prospects with significant shortcomings make an impact in their first year though.

6. The only team on our schedule that may actually be weaker than the Bills is the Jets. But they could be better too.

Those countering that person's statements are looking at this through homer glasses.

And which of those is there overwhelming evidence against? 

1.  OK, may be a two-way rotation.  But since when has any QB played well on a Jauron coached team? 

2.  Can't argue that at all. 

3.  Evans should fill the void, but we have no idea since he's "never been the one" before.  I have confidence, but until it happens we won't know for sure.  Who's gonna be the #2 is the better question.  Many of you are already penciling in Price as being solid.  But he's flat out sucked in recent seasons. 

4.  Can anyone truly argue that.  I don't think so.  Jauron's Os have been pathetic. 

5.  We won't know if Whitner and McCargo are blunders or not until sometime late this season or maybe even early next.  It's very unlikely that a couple of junior prospects with significant shortcomings make an impact in their first year though. 

6.  The only team on our schedule that may actually be weaker than the Bills is the Jets.  But they could be better too. 

Those countering that person's statements are looking at this through homer glasses.

699196[/snapback]

I disagree.

You may have noticed that on most of my rebuttal points I added the word "maybe".

I did this because most of the points are just opinion. To end up with a negative view on each & every possibility is unrealistic. Just as unrealistic as looking through homer glasses.

Remember...his point was that we would be so bad that we would lose every game.

The only way that could realistically happen is if everything goes wrong which is...surprise surprise...exactly what he predicts.

Side point...I think your assessment of our O-line is wrong.

Hopefully as the season starts & progresses you will be surprised rather than me. :o

This guy who wrote this obviously has no idea what it takes to build a team. Marv is not trying to win this year, he is trying to win next year.

He's getting the defensive guys a year of experience at their designated posititons because defense is what wins championships. Instead of having rookies start next year at defense and they do not know what is required of them, he is getting the young guys in now so that they can come in and be effective next year.

You will see the Bills go offensive line next year in free agency and the draft as well as maybe looking into a receiver and possibly a qb if he does not think the guys he has are going to pan out.

The thing is, is that Marv is building a Belichik type of team. When he took over the NE Patriots, how many people were pissed because he let all of the good veterans go? It's all part of clearing the water of bad blood. When a team rebuilds they do get people nobody has heard of and it seems to have worked out for the Patriots.

Just because the Bills didn't out and sign a big free agent name like Terrell Owens or LeCharles Bentley, this guy automatically thinks that the Bills are going to lose all of their games this year. With these statements, he is clearly showing that he knows nothing about football, and probably doesn't understand that next year the Bills are going to have the cap room to get almost anybody they want in free agency.

Some one should write to this guy and tell him that he has no idea as to what he is talking about and he should stop watching ESPN if he wants good information on all the teams in the league.

Great posting, Badol... I think you nailed it. :o

I also see wins over the Jets and Packers at home... but I don't think this team goes 0-8 the 2nd half of the season, so I'll say we beat the Titans in December to finish 3-13.

699159[/snapback]

Christmas Eve. That Titans game should be an all-time classic.

All-time classic "run for the bus" game, that is....

with our new OC coming from the rams i think we will have a solid upgrade on O.

i understand that DJ has a history of being dull and predictable, but that's why he hired a guy from the most insane unpredictable team in the NFL.

i think we will be competitive, maybe not really a playoff team, but with an improved D (only 2 years removed from being the best) and with the additions to our O (particulary since this is a boom or bust year for JP) i think we can end up being in about 13 or 14 of our games and walking away with 8 of them.