Sex offender is to short for prison

ch19079

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll...525007/-1/RSS01

A judge said a 5-foot-1 man convicted of sexually assaulting a child was too small to survive in prison, and gave him 10 years of probation instead.

His crimes deserved a long sentence, District Judge Kristine Cecava said, but she worried that Richard W. Thompson, 50, would be especially imperiled by prison dangers.

"You are a sex offender, and you did it to a child," she said.

But, she said, "That doesn't make you a hunter. You do not fit in that category."

i say he should nto get special treatment just for being short. especially not if hes convicted of sexual assaulting a child.

i say he should nto get special treatment just for being short. especially not if hes convicted of sexual assaulting a child.

Without knowing the details of the case, you really can't judge.

Case in point, the guy who was convicted of sexual assault for grabbing a girl's arm after she jumped out in front of his car and was nearly hit.

CW

Case in point, the guy who was convicted of sexual assault for grabbing a girl's arm after she jumped out in front of his car and was nearly hit.

CW

698257[/snapback]

When did that happen?

When did that happen?

698354[/snapback]

I don't know, a year or so ago maybe. It was posted on here. The girl darted in front of this guy's car and he had to swerve to miss her. He got out of the car, grabbed her arm, and started yelling at her. Now he is a registered sex offender because he "restrained a minor." The judge said something like, "I know that's not what the law had in mind when it was written, but my hands are tied and I have to convict you of it," which is bogus.

CW

CW

698257[/snapback]

Wasn't that in the same city where the sex molester with a hook attacked lovers in the local lovers lane and the guy drove away with the hook in the door? Or where they had all those albino alligators in the sewer?

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll...525007/-1/RSS01

A judge said a 5-foot-1 man convicted of sexually assaulting a child was too small to survive in prison, and gave him 10 years of probation instead.

His crimes deserved a long sentence, District Judge Kristine Cecava said, but she worried that Richard W. Thompson, 50, would be especially imperiled by prison dangers.

"You are a sex offender, and you did it to a child," she said.

But, she said, "That doesn't make you a hunter. You do not fit in that category."

697991[/snapback]

I think this shows the lack of control in our prison system when it is not safe for a convict to go to jail. A man doesn't deserve to be beaten to death in prison (which they must have thought was a very strong possibility) when all he was sentenced for was a couple of months or years. Obviously I don't know the details of the case, but I would imagine if it was especially heinous, he would not be put back on the streets.

I think this shows the lack of control in our prison system when it is not safe for a convict to go to jail.  A man doesn't deserve to be beaten to death in prison (which they must have thought was a very strong possibility) when all he was sentenced for was a couple of months or years.  Obviously I don't know the details of the case, but I would imagine if it was especially heinous, he would not be put back on the streets.

698398[/snapback]

No, what it shows is a lack of control over idiot judges. There needs to be an effective process whereby a justice who makes such a decision can be removed from the bench so that their lunacy doesn't continue to harm society.

And for the record, Jeffrey Dahmer being beaten to death in a prison bathroom is one of the all time great moments in the history of justice.

No, what it shows is a lack of control over idiot judges.  There needs to be an effective process whereby a justice who makes such a decision can be removed from the bench so that their lunacy doesn't continue to harm society.

And for the record, Jeffrey Dahmer being beaten to death in a prison bathroom is one of the all time great moments in the history of justice.

698405[/snapback]

I would agree that Dahmer deserved what he got. But eating people and being exceptionally short and weak are not equivalent. The guy is a dirtball and deserves incarceration. He doesn't deserve to be killed in prison because he's small. I think that's where the problem is. If you feel handcuffed to imprison someone because the prison system cannot carry through a sentence without the prisoner being killed, then that's not good.

The judge's opinion is questionable, but I wouldn't say unreasonable.

I would agree that Dahmer deserved what he got.  But eating people and being exceptionally short and weak are not equivalent.  The guy is a dirtball and deserves incarceration.  He doesn't deserve to be killed in prison because he's small.  I think that's where the problem is.  If you feel handcuffed to imprison someone because the prison system cannot carry through a sentence without the prisoner being killed, then that's not good. 

The judge's opinion is questionable, but I wouldn't say unreasonable.

698410[/snapback]

I don't think the murder rate among prision imates is so high as to warrant concern over his life. Did she not have the option of sending him to a lower security prison with less violent inmates? This guy molests children and get ZERO jail time??? I wonder what this B word would give to the father of the victim if he chose to take the matter into his own hands.

I don't think the murder rate among prision imates is so high as to warrant concern over his life.  Did she not have the option of sending him to a lower security prison with less violent inmates?  This guy molests children and get ZERO jail time???  I wonder what this B word would give to the father of the victim if he chose to take the matter into his own hands.

698415[/snapback]

Yeah, I would think that there should be some sort of lower tier option for a scumbag like this.

I think this shows the lack of control in our prison system when it is not safe for a convict to go to jail.  A man doesn't deserve to be beaten to death in prison (which they must have thought was a very strong possibility) when all he was sentenced for was a couple of months or years.  Obviously I don't know the details of the case, but I would imagine if it was especially heinous, he would not be put back on the streets.

698398[/snapback]

He was convicted of molesting a child. He deserves whatever he gets in prison. Sounds liek the guy is nothing but a giant pu$$y anyway. Too small and weak? so he takes advantage of a child. Toss him in prison and let the inmates deal with him. These issues tend to work themselves out. and if that results in his death, he shoudl have thought of that when he was molesting a child.

I don't know, a year or so ago maybe.  It was posted on here.  The girl darted in front of this guy's car and he had to swerve to miss her.  He got out of the car, grabbed her arm, and started yelling at her.  Now he is a registered sex offender because he "restrained a minor."  The judge said something like, "I know that's not what the law had in mind when it was written, but my hands are tied and I have to convict you of it," which is bogus.

CW

698363[/snapback]

Had the guy had a good lawyer, he probably would have gotten out of that.

Wasn't that in the same city where the sex molester with a hook attacked lovers in the local lovers lane and the guy drove away with the hook in the door?  Or where they had all those albino alligators in the sewer?

698386[/snapback]

<_<:blink:

Maybe next time you could do some research instead of simply dismissing/insulting my post? :lol:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll...34/1035/OPINION

"" grabbing a kid is "often a precursor" to a child being molested, the court said."

Yeah, and drinking a beer is often a precursor to driving drunk... :P

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190586,00.html

The 28-year-old Fitzroy Barnaby jumped out his car, grabbed her arm and lectured her on how not to get killed. Nothing more occurred. Nevertheless, that one action made him guilty of "the unlawful restraint of a minor," which is a sexual offense in Illinois. Both the jury and judge believed him. Nevertheless, Barnaby went through years of legal proceedings that ended with his name on a sex offender registry, where his photograph and address are publicly available. He must report to authorities. His employment options are severely limited; he cannot live near schools or parks.

Arguably, the law would have punished Barnaby less had he hit the girl or not cared enough to lecture her.

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=2283

http://www.pervscan.com/2005/07/06/he-grab...a-sex-offender/

So no, it's not an urban legend, thanks.

CW

<_<  :blink:

Maybe next time you could do some research instead of simply dismissing/insulting my post?  :lol:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll...34/1035/OPINION

Yeah, and drinking a beer is often a precursor to driving drunk...  :P

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190586,00.html

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=2283

http://www.pervscan.com/2005/07/06/he-grab...a-sex-offender/

So no, it's not an urban legend, thanks.

CW

698766[/snapback]

Though really, that guy deservet to be punished just for having the name "Fitzroy Barnaby".