Call for examples of Losman's "attitude"

No more like "He is a nice guy, but has not shown us he can be the leader of this team yet"

And Pyrite Gal

Your right, they addressed the o-line this offseason and it should be better. Will it be the best o-line to every take the field for an NFL team - Probably not. Will it be the best o-line in the NFL today - One could hope, but not likely. Will it be good enough to help keep us in a game and not cost us the game (or QB's lives) - probably. Will it be better then last year - almost certain.

Everyone here is under the impression we need all Pro-Bowlers lining up infront of the QB to make this team decent, when in reality, we only need an o-line that can be good enough to keep us in games and not cost us any.

I can almost guarantee that next draft, if the defence shows it is back to being what it was 2 years ago, The offence will be the next area that will get the focus of the draft.

694733[/snapback]

I don't think that everyone who does not believe the Bills have adequately addressed the offensive line situation believes that the entire line has to be made up of Pro-Bowlers. Many of us believe that in order to win a championship, you need to dominate up front first. Therefore, we need more that a line that is just good enough to keep us in games.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best offensive linemen are the ones you never hear their name, the reason for that, their job is to block and open holes. Not something the announcers usually talk about. Also if you hear one of their names called on the field its usually followed by what they are penalized for. What more can you ask for in a linemen then to just keep you in a game? They don't have to run in Touchdowns (typically don't, unless they read MM's playbooks, LOL), or block the opposing offences from scoring or kick a field goal. Their jobs are simple, they have to give the QB time to make a play and open holes for a RB by blocking an opposing Defence. By doing that they keep you in games. You don't need Pro Bowlers to do this, you just need guys who can do that well.

The best offensive linemen are the ones you never hear their name, the reason for that, their job is to block and open holes. Not something the announcers usually talk about. Also if you hear one of their names called on the field its usually followed by what they are penalized for. What more can you ask for in a linemen then to just keep you in a game? They don't have to run in Touchdowns (typically don't, unless they read MM's playbooks, LOL), or block the opposing offences from scoring or kick a field goal. Their jobs are simple, they have to give the QB time to make a play and open holes for a RB by blocking an opposing Defence. By doing that they keep you in games. You don't need Pro Bowlers to do this, you just need guys who can do that well.

694933[/snapback]

I thought that was how they made the Pro Bowl... by doing just that.

694933[/snapback]

If it is so simple, how come the Bills have such a hard time finding players who can do that? :doh:

And again, I didn't say you need Pro Bowlers to do that. You're the one who keeps injecting the Pro Bowl argument.

The entire line has to work together as a team to make the line successful. Unfortunately, this organisation seems to be a revolving door for linemen so every year theres always a couple new guys and they never seem to gel. Also you need guys who work hard and give 100% all the time. That is what Marv seems to be doing right now.

And like draft and in life, you need a little bit of luck to be successful.

The entire line has to work together as a team to make the line successful. Unfortunately, this organisation seems to be a revolving door for linemen so every year theres always a couple new guys and they never seem to gel. Also you need guys who work hard and give 100% all the time. That is what Marv seems to be doing right now.

And like draft and in life, you need a little bit of luck to be successful.

694940[/snapback]

I see no evidence that the revolving door policy has been changed at all. How do you know that guys Marv is bringing in are going to work any harder or give you any more than the guys TD brought in?

I see no evidence that the revolving door policy has been changed at all.  How do you know that guys Marv is bringing in are going to work any harder or give you any more than the guys TD brought in?

694943[/snapback]

is there any evidence that Fowler and Reyes are any better than Gandy and B.Anderson ? I didn't hear of any bidding wars for these guys. I hope there is much improvement 'cuz Willis just needs a little opening and we might just make a few third and shorts without having to throw the ball. However,The only reason for optimism is.. blind optimism.

I see no evidence that the revolving door policy has been changed at all.  How do you know that guys Marv is bringing in are going to work any harder or give you any more than the guys TD brought in?

694943[/snapback]

Well, hopefully with play calling that isn't chik'n-chit and keeping the first string RB in on third downs and having wideouts that don't pout and bench themselves, this line will shine a little more brightly than the recent editions. No guarantees mind you, but there's a chance that the difference in coaching and game planning will have a large impact the success of the O.

One mistake of TD's that Marv hasn't replicated is in hiring a coordinator in his first HC role. I think Marv would have shoved Greg-o's airhorn up his bunghole after the first time that went off in training camp. There will be no "4-second clock" duct taped to the QB's helmet, no touchie-feely articles about the all day pizza and movie sessions with the QB coach and the star pupil at this year's training camp. No gimmicks. Marv won't put up with 'em. He knows they don't work.

I feel better about the O-line just with MW and Teague gone. They were the wrong key in the wrong keyhole baby.

Well, hopefully with play calling that isn't chik'n-chit and keeping the first string RB in on third downs and having wideouts that don't pout and bench themselves, this line will shine a little more brightly than the recent editions. No guarantees mind you, but there's a chance that the difference in coaching and game planning will have a large impact the success of the O.

One mistake of TD's that Marv hasn't replicated is in hiring a coordinator in his first HC role. I think Marv would have shoved Greg-o's airhorn up his bunghole after the first time that went off in training camp. There will be no "4-second clock" duct taped to the QB's helmet, no touchie-feely articles about the all day pizza and movie sessions with the QB coach and the star pupil at this year's training camp. No gimmicks. Marv won't put up with 'em. He knows they don't work.

I feel better about the O-line just with MW and Teague gone. They were the wrong key in the wrong keyhole baby.

694949[/snapback]

The key word in there was hopefully. I don't see why the chik-n-chit play calling or pouting wideouts would prevent the offensive linemen from doing their jobs. Just sounds like a weak excuse.

I'm not disappointed to see MW or Teague gone. I was never sold on either of them. Still, they did beat out other people for their positions on the team and there is no guarantee that the people who are replacing them are any improvement.

is there any evidence that Fowler and Reyes are any better than Gandy and B.Anderson ? I didn't hear of any bidding wars for these guys. I hope there is much improvement 'cuz Willis just needs a little opening and we might just make a few third and shorts without having to throw the ball. However,The only reason for optimism is.. blind optimism.

694947[/snapback]

From what I understand, Fowler has been a backup who got his chance to start because of an injury. He wasn't particularly impressive. He is supposedly replacing Teague.

The rational for Reyes sounds similar to why we signed Bennie Anderson. He did a decent job at right guard for the Panthers. So now he is supposed to move the left guard spot? Will he have the same problems Anderson had doing so?

694943[/snapback]

I see no evidence that it hasn't changed because this is Marvs first season as GM. Unlike some fans here (not refering to you), I am willing to give Marv and Jauron atleast a season and not blame them for stuff they can't control, like dooming them because the Bills haven't been in the playoffs in over 5 years.

What more can you ask for in a linemen then to just keep you in a game?

694933[/snapback]

What kind of question is that? Would you like a chance to re-think, or re-word it?

Do you think that when Orlando Pace flattens an opposing defensive end consistently, he is merely "keeping his team in the game?" Or, do you think that he is giving his running back room to run and his quarterback time to find an open receiver? This is how football games are won; by dominance up front. You see without it, nothing else will work. It is that simple.

Sorry, but I think that you would be well served to learn a little bit more about the game of football. How many passes did Jim Kelly complete while laying on his ass? In fact, don't you think that his second rate (and I am being kind) offensive line caused him to retire early?

Again, I mean zero disrepect, but you appear to be looking at the game of football ass-backwards, much like the past and present front office of the Buffalo Bills. :doh:

What kind of question is that? Would you like a chance to re-think, or re-word it?

Do you think that when Orlando Pace flattens an opposing defensive end consistently, he is merely "keeping his team in the game?" Or, do you think that he is giving his running back room to run and his quarterback time to find an open receiver? This is how football games are won; by dominance up front. You see without it, nothing else will work. It is that simple.

Sorry, but I think that you would be well served to learn a little bit more about the game of football. How many passes did Jim Kelly complete while laying on his ass? In fact, don't you think that his second rate (and I am being kind) offensive line caused him to retire early?

Again, I mean zero disrepect, but you appear to be looking at the game of football ass-backwards, much like the past and present front office of the Buffalo Bills.  :doh:

694997[/snapback]

Sorry I'm not so football knowledgable, maybe next year I'll buy every draft guide available, study the draft on TV, and tape and rewatch every single game (preseason, regular, and post season), study every practice and training camp report, and disagree with every move Ralph and Marv and DJ make this year, and say everything that is said on ESPN is stupid. Then I'll come back here and post my expert opinions cause I will then be football knowledgable. I have been watching football for a long time but I don't study and analyze every single play on the field or player, I enjoy just watching a football game. I may not be the next HOF head coach, but I know a little bit about football

I'm not saying you don't have to have someone flattening a defensive end to be considered a good football team to win, but it is a plus. Maybe some of you are not understanding what I mean by "Keeping you in the game". What I mean is a line that is doing its job (weither it means blocking the D or opening up holes for the RB, and keeping the opposing D out of the QB giving him time to throw) Thats what I mean by keeping you in the game. If the linemen knocks the other defender on his back or just blocks him from getting anywhere, its the same thing, because both ways are doing the job, taking out the defender.

The linemen are not keeping you in the game if defenders are getting around them, or taking penalties, or stepping on your QB as the are being pushed back by the defenders.

And football games are won by scoring more points then the other team by putting the ball into the endzone or kicking the ball through the uprights, which is made easier by having a good offensive line that keeps you in the game, a qb that can think on his feet and make the throws or handoffs, wide receivers who can catch and out run defenders, a RB who can run and break tackles, and a defence that keeps opponents out of the endzone and gets the offense back on the field. Or am I all wrong and they now only give points to teams who have an offensive line that can knock over defensive linemen. Or am I thinking of the right sport, Football?, the one where you hit a homerun with the puck by putting it off the backboard into the net???? I get all these sports confused.

Sorry I'm not so football knowledgable, maybe next year I'll buy every draft guide available, study the draft on TV, and tape and rewatch every single game (preseason, regular, and post season), study every practice and training camp report, and disagree with every move Ralph and Marv and DJ make this year, and say everything that is said on ESPN is stupid. Then I'll come back here and post my expert opinions cause I will then be football knowledgable. I have been watching football for a long time but I don't study and analyze every single play on the field or player, I enjoy just watching a football game. I may not be the next HOF head coach, but I know a little bit about football

I'm not saying you don't have to have someone flattening a defensive end to be considered a good football team to win, but it is a plus. Maybe some of you are not understanding what I mean by "Keeping you in the game". What I mean is a line that is doing its job (weither it means blocking the D or opening up holes for the RB, and keeping the opposing D out of the QB giving him time to throw) Thats what I mean by keeping you in the game. If the linemen knocks the other defender on his back or just blocks him from getting anywhere, its the same thing, because both ways are doing the job, taking out the defender.

The linemen are not keeping you in the game if defenders are getting around them, or taking penalties, or stepping on your QB as the are being pushed back by the defenders.

And football games are won by scoring more points then the other team by putting the ball into the endzone or kicking the ball through the uprights, which is made easier by having a good offensive line that keeps you in the game, a qb that can think on his feet and make the throws or handoffs, wide receivers who can catch and out run defenders, a RB who can run and break tackles, and a defence that keeps opponents out of the endzone and gets the offense back on the field. Or am I all wrong and they now only give points to teams who have an offensive line that can knock over defensive linemen. Or am I thinking of the right sport, Football?, the one where you hit a homerun with the puck by putting it off the backboard into the net???? I get all these sports confused.

695219[/snapback]

you are so wrong its unbelieveable. Had we drafted 10 o-linemen, and signed hutch and bentley,the NFL would have looked at our o-line and just awarded us the super bowl. Because there are obviously no good teams that dont have all 1st round picks on their o-line.

I have an idea! lets start 11 o-linemen on offense. we'll have such a good line and we'll be unstoppable!

I see no evidence that it hasn't changed because this is Marvs first season as GM. Unlike some fans here (not refering to you), I am willing to give Marv and Jauron atleast a season and not blame them for stuff they can't control, like dooming them because the Bills haven't been in the playoffs in over 5 years.

694991[/snapback]

In September we'll begin to get answers to all of these questions. Until then everyone should enjoy the great run the Sabres are having and the short summer.

Yeah! How dare these people question the Bills' strategy!!!!!

They have been perennial playoff contenders with their current strategy. Let the results speak for themselves!!!! Gosh, the never of some poeple. :doh:

you are so wrong its unbelieveable. Had we drafted 10 o-linemen, and signed hutch and bentley,the NFL would have looked at our o-line and just awarded us the super bowl. Because there are obviously no good teams that dont have all 1st round picks on their o-line.

I have an idea! lets start 11 o-linemen on offense. we'll have such a good line and we'll be unstoppable!

695223[/snapback]

695219[/snapback]

We could go on forever my friend. I suggest that you read the message linked above from Dwight Adams that GG and SDS were kind enough to post.

I am sorry for being rude. After more than a decade, I remain quite puzzled that many fans can't see why our beloved Bills continue to lose.

695223[/snapback]

I'd be curious how many teams won a Super Bowl while having no 1st round picks on their offensive line. As it stands, the Bills have only one 1st round offensive line pick, Aaron Gibson, a Mike Williams like bust who has been bounced arround to several teams, has a 1 year contract with the Bills at Vet minimum and is not projected to start. The only other 1st day picks the Bills have are Fowlers and Gandy.

694991[/snapback]

I'm not blaming Marv or Jauron for the Bills not being in the playoffs for over 6 years, but I'm not at all impressed with any of the moves Marv has made. Compared to 1 year ago, I can't think of a single area of this team that has been markedly improved but can see areas that have probably gotten worse (secondary and receiving corps).