Apparently the ECF will start Saturday

I'm figuring that the NHL will want to start the CF's on Saturday, for national exposure. So should we be rooting for the Devils to extend the series with Carolina and hope they both tire eachother out, or do we want Carolina to end it now, so as to give them and the Sabres virtually the same amount of layoff time?

I'm figuring that the NHL will want to start the CF's on Saturday, for national exposure.  So should we be rooting for the Devils to extend the series with Carolina and hope they both tire eachother out, or do we want Carolina to end it now, so as to give them and the Sabres virtually the same amount of layoff time?

691036[/snapback]

I think the team that keeps playing has an advantage in the first game of the next series but the resting team has the advantage the rest of the way.

I don't care how that series goes, either team is in for a fight for the right to call themselves Eastern Conference Champs.

I think the team that keeps playing has an advantage in the first game of the next series but the resting team has the advantage the rest of the way.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. And if it's Carolina, the first game would be IN Carolina, and an expected loss, so no biggie if that happens.

I don't care how that series goes, either team is in for a fight for the right to call themselves Eastern Conference Champs.

True that.

The rule is a player needs to be free of concussion symptoms for at least 7 days before they can play. Well actually, it's not a hard set rule, it's more of a guideline, but it might as well be since Ruff won't jeopardize Connolly's career given his history.

So, yeah, even if Connolly gets his head straight tomorrow, he probably wouldn't be ready for the first game or so of the Conference Finals.

The rule is a player needs to be free of concussion symptoms for at least 7 days before they can play.  Well actually, it's not a hard set rule, it's more of a guideline, but it might as well be since Ruff won't jeopardize Connolly's career given his history.

So, yeah, even if Connolly gets his head straight tomorrow, he probably wouldn't be ready for the first game or so of the Conference Finals.

691115[/snapback]

Do we know that his head is not already straight?

I'm figuring that the NHL will want to start the CF's on Saturday, for national exposure.  So should we be rooting for the Devils to extend the series with Carolina and hope they both tire eachother out, or do we want Carolina to end it now, so as to give them and the Sabres virtually the same amount of layoff time?

691036[/snapback]

Are you assumuing the series starts on Saturday, or did you read this somewhere? Supposing Carlina finishes off New Jersey tonight, you think they would wait almost a week to start the next series? The NHL seems to prefer the endurance format (every other night) rather than the "coverage format" that the NBA uses...you know, three or 4 days between games.

Are you assumuing the series starts on Saturday, or did you read this somewhere?  Supposing Carlina finishes off New Jersey tonight, you think they would wait almost a week to start the next series?  The NHL seems to prefer the endurance format (every other night) rather than the "coverage format" that the NBA uses...you know, three or 4 days between games.

691129[/snapback]

Remember though that the Oilers/Sharks series is tied at 2-2. I dont think the NHL wants to start the EC Finals when semi-finals are still going on out West, so nothing can be settled until the Oilers and Sharks wrap it up.

Are you assumuing the series starts on Saturday, or did you read this somewhere?  Supposing Carlina finishes off New Jersey tonight, you think they would wait almost a week to start the next series?  The NHL seems to prefer the endurance format (every other night) rather than the "coverage format" that the NBA uses...you know, three or 4 days between games.

I've heard several places that Saturday will be the first game. And again, doing it on the weekend allows them to showcase the game on NBC versus OLN and CBC. And I think they'd rather have the CF's start the same day, and with SJ-Edmonton knotted at 2 apiece and game 7 slated for Thursday, that would make sense given that series is AT LEAST going 6 games.

I would guess that the ECF's will begin on either the 18th or the 20th. If both remaining series are done within 6 games, then I'd expect the Sabres to be Carolina's opponent on the 18th rather than the Devils.

If one or the other series go 7, then the winner of whichever series finishes 1st would probably play on the 20th with the other series starting on Sunday the 21st. (I'm assuming that the Carolina series will probably end before the Sharks series and that there are no rink availability issues (big if).)

EDIT: NBC is advertising that the Sabres will be playing on Saturday. I didn't notice if they said it WOULD be the 1st game of the series or if they just said they'd be playing a game on Saturday.

Edited by dave_b

Do we know that his head is not already straight?

691121[/snapback]

We don't know anything since Ruff is being so secretive, but it's pretty easy to piece together that Connolly probably experienced a concussion.

-He hasn't been skating

-He has a history of concussions.

-It was reported (somewhere last week, maybe on WGR?) he's been experiencing concussion syndromes since the hit

With about 5 mins left and the 'Canes up 3-1... Looks like it will be the 'Canes??

Not much difference between them and the Sabres playing wise... Only one day difference...

:P  :doh:

691249[/snapback]

Canes are TOUGH at home too, so it'll be a huge challenge right off the bat.