Sabres vs. Ottawa

damj

The sky is falling .... the sky is falling!!!!!  :ph34r:

Wide Right, Home Run Throwback, No Goal .... we're doomed!!!!!!!!!

That's it .... I'm jumping off of the bandwagon (but please save my seat .... I'll be back on after saturday    :doh: ).

689993[/snapback]

See I told you ...

p.s. Move over, I want my seat on the bandwagon back! :doh:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this thread all I can say is:  Buffalo Fans   :P

I'm almost to the point of when I tell people I'm from NY and they ask "the city?"  saying,  "yeah, the city, that's right." 

No wonder Buffalo's been in the dumps for so many years with those defeatest attitudes.  Have you people not been following this team this year?  How could you not think anything but positive thoughts about them.

691072[/snapback]

Get a grip... It is not defeatist... Do we actually decide the games? :doh::P

And it isn't about the past... It was about being in a close series (looks like a blow-out, 4-1 wise) with the number one seeded team in the East... It is OKAY to be scared... Desperation is the Sabres' way.

In the back of everybody's mind, I doubt that there are negative thoughts?

Humility is a virtue... Making dumb bombastic statements only fans the flames of discord...

You can be positive and still be humble.

;):doh:

Get a grip... It is not defeatist... Do we actually decide the games? :P  :doh:

And it isn't about the past... It was about being in a close series (looks like a blow-out, 4-1 wise) with the number one seeded team in the East...  It is OKAY to be scared... Desperation is the Sabres' way.

In the back of everybody's mind, I doubt that there are negative thoughts?

Humility is a virtue... Making dumb bombastic statements only fans the flames of discord...

You can be positive and still be humble.

;)  :doh:

691243[/snapback]

I'm personally quite confident that this team can beat ANYONE. Bring em on. But so many people from Buffalo are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. "They can't win, their a Buffalo team." You don't win championships by being humble, especially in hockey.

From this thread:

I'm absolutely panicing! Not because of our infamous Buffalo choke jobs but because Ottawa probably is a bit better and has more depth. They've awoken. Miller is better than Emery right now so that's our edge (up until last night). I fully expect this to come down to game 7 on Wed night and I will be shaking like a heroine addict all throughout.

And this gem.

time to start naming the great comeback by the sens in 06.

how about "The Collapse

Or this one.

Yankees did have heart and talent, and they choked away a 3-0 lead.

It can happen. Sabres have won 3 games by 1 goal...who is to say the Sens don't get the bounces now for 2 games?

It is not a matter of me losing faith. It is a matter of looking at this situation realistically. It is not like the Sabres have been blowing out the Sens.

Then the dreaded potential return of Dom.

An edge that could instantly disappear should Hasek return. The Sabres need to end this quickly.

I would actually have liked to see them face that ole man to win it. Everyone is so afraid of his mystique. I actually think that would have inspired Miller to pick it up a notch. I say it again. Buffalo fans. :P

I'm personally quite confident that this team can beat ANYONE.  Bring em on.  But so many people from Buffalo are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  "They can't win, their a Buffalo team."  You don't win championships by being humble, especially in hockey. 

From this thread:

And this gem.

Or this one.

Then the dreaded potential return of Dom. 

I would actually have liked to see them face that ole man to win it.  Everyone is so afraid of his mystique.  I actually think that would have inspired Miller to pick it up a notch.  I say it again.  Buffalo fans.   :P

691251[/snapback]

Ya, you may be right... I want to brim with quiet optimism... Yet, be cautious, gracious, and humble.

Ever hear of the "reverse curse?"... :P;)

The scary thing about Buffalo fans, I fear if we win, is that we can be just as big of dicks as the other non-gracious fans out there... Maybe it is because of all the bitterness built up inside through the years... Maybe God realizes that Buffalo should NEVER be handed anything... I can't imagine what the fan base would be like if they had chronic winners... What I am saying is that our worst curse may actually be our best medicine... At times of course!!

There COULD be such a big chip on the shoulders of this town, it is downright scary and flies in the face of your "Buffalo fans are so negative thesis."

:doh:

Ya, you may be right... I want to brim with quiet optimism... Yet, be cautious, gracious, and humble.

Ever hear of the "reverse curse?"... :doh:  :P

The scary thing about Buffalo fans, I fear if we win, is that we can be just as big of dicks as the other non-gracious fans out there...  Maybe it is because of all the bitterness built up inside through the years... Maybe God realizes that Buffalo should NEVER be handed anything... I can't imagine what the fan base would be like if they had chronic winners... What I am saying is that our worst curse may actually be our best medicine... At times of course!!

There COULD be such a big chip on the shoulders of this town, it is downright scary and flies in the face of your "Buffalo fans are so negative thesis."

:P

691256[/snapback]

No, people from Buffalo are different. Trust me, living in CA you see people from all over. I went to the gym yesterday and spent an hour with a personal trainer. Asked where he was from, said from Cleveland. I could tell, he wasn't from around here. Actually said he admired Buffalo fans. None of that "wow, you guys lost, what, four in a row!" crap.

No, people from Buffalo are different.  Trust me, living in CA you see people from all over.  I went to the gym yesterday and spent an hour with a personal trainer.  Asked where he was from, said from Cleveland.  I could tell, he wasn't from around here.  Actually said he admired Buffalo fans.  None of that "wow, you guys lost, what, four in a row!" crap.

691260[/snapback]

You are dealing with the "top of the food chain" here... Even if he is from Cleveland... :P:doh:

I get your point though...

The Sabres needed to end the series quickly, and that's what they did. I'm glad. The worst thing that could have happened would have been to get complacent after going up 3-0. Especially when the Sabres were matched against a better overall team.

It's a mistake to castigate Sabres fans for seeing the inherent danger in letting the Senators linger around. Maybe a few fans took this to an extreme. But it's better to err on the side of being too paranoid about the other team, as opposed to not being paranoid enough.

But it's better to err on the side of being too paranoid about the other team, as opposed to not being paranoid enough.

691286[/snapback]

Why? We aren't the ones playing the games.

You think the players don't notice the city giving off this stench of "Oh God, we're gonna blow this!" 24-7? I don't see how having a bunch of bitter, paranoid, crazy fans ready to jump off a bridge if the team is only winning a series 3-1 can make the actual guys who wear the skates feel much better. Would you want to play here?

Just get excited, Buffalo. Seasons like this don't happen very often. This is not a fluke.

And just so we're clear: it's not what you were saying, it's that YOU were saying it that worried so many of us...

691411[/snapback]

muah

well, that's understandable. But just because I think the Bills ahve been a joke for the last 10 years or so, doesn't mean I have felt the same way about the Sabres.

That's why it's perfectly consistent, IMO.

Why?  We aren't the ones playing the games.

You think the players don't notice the city giving off this stench of "Oh God, we're gonna blow this!"

On the one hand, you seem to be saying it doesn't matter what the fans think, because we're not the ones playing the games. On the other, you're saying it does matter, because the players will notice the "stench" of the fans' mood.

If the fans start celebrating a victorious series based on being up 3-0, that false confidence could rub off on the players. Jumping off a bridge is going too far in the other direction. But the fact some here pointed out that teams have come back from 0-3 deficits is a good thing. Hopefully, some of that humility and lack of premature celebration found its way into the Sabres' locker room.

Watch Bill Belichick's facial expressions. As long as there's time on the clock, you'll only see one expression: the scowl. Once the game is over, he'll smile at the win. Not before. If fans here are becoming Belichick-like in our refusal to prematurely celebrate, I don't think it's such a bad thing.

If fans here are becoming Belichick-like in our refusal to prematurely celebrate, I don't think it's such a bad thing.

691438[/snapback]

Except in the case of some Sabres fans, after 1 loss to a team that everyone kept insisting was so much better than Buffalo, the reaction was not "Belichick-like" at all, but more "cowardly lion" like!

Me, despite everyone harping on how lucky the Sabres were to be up 3-0, always thought the Sabres earned their victories, by playing better than Ottawa. Hockey is a back and forth game, for periods in the same game, one team will have the edge over the other. It is what you do when you have that edge, that wins and loses games for you.

It is very rare, particularly in the NHL playoffs, for one team to dominate the other for an entire 60 minute game.