Sabres vs. Ottawa

damj

Except in the case of some Sabres fans, after 1 loss to a team that everyone kept insisting was so much better than Buffalo, the reaction was not "Belichick-like" at all, but more "cowardly lion" like! 

Me, despite everyone harping on how lucky the Sabres were to be up 3-0, always thought the Sabres earned their victories, by playing better than Ottawa.  Hockey is a back and forth game, for periods in the same game, one team will have the edge over the other. It is what you do when you have that edge, that wins and loses games for you. 

It is very rare, particularly in the NHL playoffs, for one team to dominate the other for an entire 60 minute game.

691499[/snapback]

Exactly. We captilized on most of oppurtunities against the Sens while they failed to capitlize on theirs. We earned the series victory. We worked hard, and never gave up and were able to overcome adversity when it came our way. In a way blowing a 2 game lead to the Flyers taught this team a valuable lesson. Is it a coincidence that the 2 teams that had easy first series victories (NY, Ottawa) lost the second round while Buffalo and Carolina who had to battle harder won.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except in the case of some Sabres fans, after 1 loss to a team that everyone kept insisting was so much better than Buffalo, the reaction was not "Belichick-like" at all, but more "cowardly lion" like! 

Me, despite everyone harping on how lucky the Sabres were to be up 3-0, always thought the Sabres earned their victories, by playing better than Ottawa.

Yes, the Sabres earned their victories by outplaying a more talented team. There's nothing "cowardly lion" about saying that, if you're up 3-1 against the Senators, you need to put them away quickly. On the contrary, letting go of the killer instinct that got you those three wins in the first place would have been a disaster.

Yes, the Sabres earned their victories by outplaying a more talented team.  There's nothing "cowardly lion" about saying that, if you're up 3-1 against the Senators, you need to put them away quickly.  On the contrary, letting go of the killer instinct that got you those three wins in the first place would have been a disaster.

691900[/snapback]

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you in particular, I said "some Sabres fans."

I agree with you in essence. However, where I disagree is the continued insistance that Ottawa is the more talented team (certainly they have better known players...who are close to becoming known more for choking the playoffs than for their gawdy regular season stats), and that the Sabres were badly outplayed in any of the games, including game 4.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you in particular, I said "some Sabres fans." 

I agree with you in essence.  However, where I disagree is the continued insistance that Ottawa is the more talented team (certainly they have better known players...who are close to becoming known more for choking the playoffs than for their gawdy regular season stats), and that the Sabres were badly outplayed in any of the games, including game 4.

691921[/snapback]

Hockey gods do help!

Did you see the game clock in game 3 with about 1.5-.5 seconds left in regulation and the puck innocuously missing the Sabre goal line, to the outside of the pipe?... That is the game Jean-Pierre (I refuse to use JP :lol: ) won in OT...

Ya, ya, ya... Ryan Miller was in perfect position where Daniel Alfredsson couldn't put it anywhere closer... :P:lol:

You know what I want at home games?  To hear "Fraser sucks" or "Ko-Har-Ski" chants when they screw up calls.

691940[/snapback]

I see your point... I tend to diagree... I know it is hard for player to suck it up when the ref blows a call... Especially with sticks and blades around their face... But, that is exactly what the players and fans need to do...

Refs (and the league) are like cops, they know what is going on and pointing out that they are doing their job wrong is only gonna make them do it even "more wrong"...IMO...

Buffalo really needs this discipline when moving on... Believe it or not it is their "playground", like it or not... You don't go off on a cop when they give you a speeding ticket or say something dumb like: "those other cars were speeding, why didn't you stop them."

Nobody likes it when you tell them they are doing thier job wrong :lol::D ... You think you are getting crazy results?... You will "buy" your way to more... IMO

What Buffalo needs to do (and the fans) is turn tail and become good soldiers from here on out... OR, the best part... Burn the other team with a shortie! :lol::P

Just my $.02...

;)

Staying silent hasn't helped them yet.  But I doubt most fans would know who the refs were.

691960[/snapback]

More importantly... The players and Lindy HAVE to stay disciplined in the face of it...

Oh... Again, you can always "stick it to the man" and go for the shortie like Pominville did... It helps when the coach gives you a "green light" to do this on the penalty kill as I take Lindy does with his guys?

Man... I would love to see a 5-3 shorthander!

:lol::P

I won't hold my breath for any.  There were several chances for the Sabres to get one, but the refs refused to do it.  Sure "sticking it to the man" is great when it works, but sometimes you need to CLUB the man.

691972[/snapback]

Or... Just feed 'em a silca desiccant packet!

:lol::P