Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame?

Jimmy Smith has been a really good receiver and has put up great numbers for about 10 years or so. Is he a Hall Of Fame calibur player?

Im sorry but the HOF is the elite of the elite, and smith does not fit into that category. HOF is for players who bring something different to the game, change it, or leave some type of a legacy behind.

Jimmy Smith put up numbers and that was it. Every year since 1995 if you had to pick the top 5 WR's in the game he was never one of them. How can a guy who is not even in the top 5 or 3 even being considered for the HOF?

Jimmy did not change the game in any way, he did not leave a legacy, and his franchise never went anywhere. Michael Irvin IMO changed a part of the game, he was the gateway to the new revolution of big body posession receivers. If he isnt in the HOF i dont see how Smith will be.

Jimmy Smith is a great guy yes, and he has been humble his whole career but that is not why i dont think he deserves it. The HOF?? come on, Jimmy was never the first few recievers that came out of my mouth when talking about the top 5 in the game. Now that he retires everyone is noticing his numbers and that is the only reason people are talking about him. The HOF isnt for really good players, its for great players, IMO we cant allow every receiver who puts up numbers into the hall.

Flame away

Who are you arguing with?

689946[/snapback]

i cant remember what i was watching, cold pizza maybe? Anyways someone was saying that smith was a sure fire HOFer

unfortunately i just watched mike and mike and they just mentioned that exact same points that i did, oh well :w00t:

Jimmy Smith has been a really good receiver and has put up great numbers for about 10 years or so. Is he a Hall Of Fame calibur player?

Im sorry but the HOF is the elite of the elite, and smith does not fit into that category. HOF is for players who bring something different to the game, change it, or leave some type of a legacy behind.

Jimmy Smith put up numbers and that was it. Every year since 1995 if you had to pick the top 5 WR's in the game he was never one of them. How can a guy who is not even in the top 5 or 3 even being considered for the HOF?

Jimmy did not change the game in any way, he did not leave a legacy, and his franchise never went anywhere. Michael Irvin IMO changed a part of the game, he was the gateway to the new revolution of big body posession receivers. If he isnt in the HOF i dont see how Smith will be.

Jimmy Smith is a great guy yes, and he has been humble his whole career but that is not why i dont think he deserves it. The HOF?? come on, Jimmy was never the first few recievers that came out of my mouth when talking about the top 5 in the game. Now that he retires everyone is noticing his numbers and that is the only reason people are talking about him. The HOF isnt for really good players, its for great players, IMO we cant allow every receiver who puts up numbers into the hall.

Flame away

689940[/snapback]

A lot like Moulds... good, but not VERY good, not every Great!

i cant remember what i was watching, cold pizza maybe? Anyways someone was saying that smith was a sure fire HOFer

unfortunately i just watched mike and mike and they just mentioned that exact same points that i did, oh well  :w00t:

689948[/snapback]

Oh please .... he was a very good player, but there are waaaaaaay better WR's ahead of him who probably won't ever make the HOF ...

How about Andre Reed and Art Monk get in before we start talking about Jimmy Smith.

690008[/snapback]

And Tim Brown and Cris Carter -- after all, all four of them have more catches, yards, and TDs than Smith, and three of the four have more Pro Bowl selections as well.

Smith won't even be eligible until the Class of 2011. And by then, it's a safe bet he won't still be seventh on the career receptions list...

I guess I'll argue Jimmy Smiths case

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/SmitJi00.htm

13 seasons played

Seasons among the league's top 10

Receptions: 1997-7, 1999-1, 2001-2

Receiving yards: 1996-5, 1997-4, 1998-5, 1999-2, 2001-4

Yards from scrimmage: 1999-7

His seasons among the top 10 are pretty compareable to andre reed. Neither one ever finished first in any single season catagory. Smith placed top 10 2 more times then Reed in receiving yards.

Among the league's all-time top 50

Receptions: 7

Receiving yards: 11

Receiving TDs: 31t

Yards from scrimmage: 33

I say based on his spot among the top 50 all time Jimmy Smith deserves the hof. Not as a 1st ballot hall of famer but he has a pretty good case.

His seasons among the top 10 are pretty compareable to andre reed. Neither one ever finished first in any single season catagory.  Smith placed top 10 2 more times then Reed in receiving yards. 

690021[/snapback]

And Andre helped his team win four more AFC Championship games than Smith, and is still considered a 'borderline' candidate by most non-Bills fans... as is Monk, with his better numbers and three Super Bowl rings.

Already tough for WRs to get in - Charlie Joiner, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, and James Lofton are the only four to make it in since 1996, and all had to wait at least ten years after they retired. And it'll be even tougher for everyone in the Jerry Rice/Marvin Harrison era, as West Coast-style offenses stack up the fantasy-football-friendly passing stats.

Ten years from now, will the HOF voters still remember any significant contribution to the game by Smith? I'm guessing not. Just my opinion...

If you had to push me I'd say...

Jimmy Smith belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

Maybe, as Lori said, in a decade or so when its a weaker class he can sneak in, but as it stands now I seriously doubt he's a "surefire" selection into the Hall of Fame.

Then again I laughed thinking that Warren Moon was a first-year entry...still think that was a sham.

If you had to push me I'd say...

Jimmy Smith belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

Maybe, as Lori said, in a decade or so when its a weaker class he can sneak in, but as it stands now I seriously doubt he's a "surefire" selection into the Hall of Fame.

Then again I laughed thinking that Warren Moon was a first-year entry...still think that was a sham.

690047[/snapback]

Nice avatar! :w00t:

690047[/snapback]

Slight correction there - as time passes, I think it'll become increasingly HARDER for WRs to make the HOF based on stats alone. Carter and Brown both have over 1000 catches; once they get in -- and remember, they'll be eligible before Smith -- his numbers will pale in comparison.

Remember this, too: with decent seasons in 2006, Keenan McCardell (825 catches), Isaac Bruce (813), and Rod Smith (797) can all pass JSmith. Would any of you consider all three of them viable HOF candidates?

You said it, BGIM: Hall of the Very Good.

That's where Bob Griese belongs, instead of Canton.

690060[/snapback]

And that's exactly where he'd be without the collective butt-smooching applied to the entire '72 Dolphins team...

You just opened up a new debate, but I definitely think Bruce will get in. He'll be 33 at the start of the season, so you can definitely see him playing 3+ more years, unlike McCardell or Smith, and he already has better numbers than both of them. Plus, he has the second-best receiving season of all time and a Superbowl ring.

You said it, BGIM: Hall of the Very Good.

690058[/snapback]

The Professional Football Researchers Association does that every year around HOF nomination time. People who are very good, but not good enough for the HOF.

It is a very interesting exercise. I will see if I can dig up any of their debates.