Sugar Substitutes

BB27

I doubt the government would have named it Splenda if it was that bad.

687991[/snapback]

That's a wonderful point! Because everybody knows it's physically impossible to give a nice-sounding name to something that is bad.

That's why, when the Nazis first got together and they wanted to call themselves The Sunshine Fairytale Goodtime Gang, it was rejected.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.  His doctor may even have ties to the sugar industry too.  I am not accusing him of it, just saying it is possible.

I doubt the government would have named it Splenda if it was that bad.

687991[/snapback]

The government does not assign names to commercial products...

That's a wonderful point!  Because everybody knows it's physically impossible to give a nice-sounding name to something that is bad.

That's why, when the Nazis first got together and they wanted to call themselves The Sunshine Fairytale Goodtime Gang, it was rejected.

688078[/snapback]

Well of course the company would try to name it something else, but the government wouldn't let them unless their claims were true. That would be false advertising which the government strictly forbids.

As for the Nazis, I doubt they tried the name you suggested. I think fairies were on their list of people to persecute. If you were a jewish fairy you were really up the creek.

Also, I don't think comparing the makers of Splenda to Nazis is really fair, do you? I doubt one day we'll all look back in horror at the Splendacaust.

Well of course the company would try to name it something else, but the government wouldn't let them unless their claims were true.  That would be false advertising which the government strictly forbids. 

As for the Nazis, I doubt they tried the name you suggested.  I think fairies were on their list of people to persecute.  If you were a jewish fairy you were really up the creek.

Also, I don't think comparing the makers of Splenda to Nazis is really fair, do you?  I doubt one day we'll all look back in horror at the Splendacaust.

688153[/snapback]

Again, a really excellent point! You seem to have a deep understanding of the government and its role in protecting the consumer. Have you considered running for public office?

Again, a really excellent point!  You seem to have a deep understanding of the government and its role in protecting the consumer.  Have you considered running for public office?

688196[/snapback]

I sense you are being sarcastic. I do not appreciate it but whatever. I don't think you need to speak about Nazis to make your point. It offends a lot of people.

I hope no jewish fairies post on this board. You're probably bringing back bad memories for them.

someday everyone will realize that real sugar, real mayonaise, real milk, real eggs, real cheeze etc etc etc...is where its at, all these "healthy" choices are going to wind up really messing up our bodies. Eat smart and in moderation!

Happy to hear you are feeling better btw

I figured I would tell anyone who wants to know about my experience with Splenda brand sugar substitute.

I am a fairly active guy (mid 30's) a little overweight, but I work out eery week, in fact I lift weights 3 times per week and try to do cardio workout at least 5 times per week.  I started having issues with my heart fluttering when I was at rest, like sitting at my desk at work, laying in bed, watching TV, etc.  I never had a fluttering when I was working out, and never had any of the obvious signs of having a heart problem (pain, out of breath, etc.).  But, I was having these attacks of my heart fluttering (I describe the attacks as the feeling you get when you are scared, the feeling of adrenaline and your heart suddenly racing). 

So, after having about a dozen of these attacks (each lasting at most 20 seconds) I called my doctor and he immediately had me come in to see him.  Lets just say my health insurance paid for a lot of tests.  I had every test you can imagine to try and figure out what was wrong.  All the tests confirmed what I allready knew, there was nothing wrong with my heart.  I was healthy and there was nothing to indicate why I was having the attacks.

Me and my wife had switched to Splenda as a sugar substitute, I never even thought about it until I realized that I was having the attacks more often right after drinking coffee, and I have been drinking coffee for a very long time.  The one thing that had changed, was the Splenda in it. 

So, after about 1 month now of not having eaten anything with Splenda in it, I have finally stopped having the attacks.  My doctor was scheduling another round of tests, when I told him that I thought I had it figured out.  He was not so surprised about my reaction to Splenda, and I was shocked to see all the material on the Web about how bad Splenda can be.

Thought I would warn my friends here at TBD!!!!  Thank god they don't put Splenda in Beer!!

687943[/snapback]

My son has food alergies (Gluten) and he is off sugar. The natural subsitute we use is called Stevia. He doesn't notice a difference and it is all natural and better for you than sugar.

More on Stevia

It can be found at most natural food stores.

687977[/snapback]

The Senator turned me onto stevia a few years ago. Pretty good, for the most part...at least as far as sweetening iced tea and stuff like that.

Dunno how it works for cooking and baking.

The Senator turned me onto stevia a few years ago.  Pretty good, for the most part...at least as far as sweetening iced tea and stuff like that.

Dunno how it works for cooking and baking.

688298[/snapback]

Dean,

It takes some getting used to for baking and cooking. The liquid stuff is great for icea tea (hello South) and some cereals.

Who is the Senator? I'm sure he is no match for the Hockey Sherpa!

My doctor (not a quack) said that some people (their bodies) can handle the chemical substitute sweeteners others can not.  Bottom line is I stopped using it, I don't have the attacks anymore. 

I guess what I'm really saying is that Splenda, Sweet & low, etc are not good for you even if you don't have a reaction.  They are chemicals.

Anyone can come on here and tell me that my doctor (Columbia University Grad) is a quack, that there must be another reason, not splenda (oh my god).  But I know that Splenda caused my problem, end of story. 

Any questions?

Oh yeah, Splenda DID not go through full FDA testing.  They were not required to do so before approval.

The websites that I was referring to in my earlier post were by people who had similar or other problems associated with their use of splenda.

688034[/snapback]

Ya i did some research on artificial sweeteners. Stevia is the only one that comes back without any negative reactions from the research done.

A wise man once told me the legal age in Canada was 14.

688232[/snapback]

You have to learn to pick better friends, Ed is leading you down the wrong path. Your friends should be chosen on their ability to help you get ahead.

Interesting timing of this thread. I have had my heart palpitation under control until today when they've been reminding me of the drum solo of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. So I thought about what I've done differently today and realized I bought a different brand of protein bar. Checked the ingredients and guess what...splenda.

Bingo, we have a winner. Anyone wonder why it is legal to be used in most other countries and called a sweetener(it is technically a supplement here) but not in here in America? Crayon? Do you really think the government has our best interests in mind all of the time? Do a little research about how Nutrasweet type sweeteners were approved and why Stevia cannot be used as a sweetener. Splenda IS crap. Oh, and to clarify Stevia is all natural.

Ya i did some research on artificial sweeteners.  Stevia is the only one that comes back without any negative reactions from the research done.

688310[/snapback]

Dean,

It takes some getting used to for baking and cooking. The liquid stuff is great for icea tea (hello South) and some cereals.

Who is the Senator? I'm sure he is no match for the Hockey Sherpa!

688305[/snapback]

Here is The Senator (from the great state of Confusion):

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showuser=2970