Reed contribution

Why on earth did the Bills just sign Josh Reed to a 4 year, ten million dollar contract? It's not as if he's a reliable receiver. Neither does he make any significant contribution to the team in any other area. So, why spend so much money on this guy? Shouldn't the Bills try to find a veteran (or even a rookie) possession receiver who will catch the ball when it hits his hands?

Why on earth did the Bills just sign Josh Reed to a 4 year, ten million dollar contract?  It's not as if he's a reliable receiver.  Neither does he make any significant contribution to the team in any other area.  So, why spend so much money on this guy?  Shouldn't the Bills try to find a veteran (or even a rookie) possession receiver who will catch the ball when it hits his hands?

686336[/snapback]

Is that your review from your seats at the weekend's camp?

I agree with the poster. Personally, I love what Marv is doing but this move really confuses me. Reed, besides his first year, has shown very little. I'm not going to say he is terrible; however, he is very disappointing. Plus, the thing that really bothers me is he will take away playing time from Roscoe. I believe Roscoe brings a lot more to the table. Reed has had 4 years to prove himself. My gut, however, says Reed will make the team and play over Parrish. As a result, Parrish will be looked at as a bust and I don't really think it is his fault.

If Roscoe Parrish can't outplay Josh Reed.... then he IS a bust!

686367[/snapback]

That's a fair point but Reed will just take away from his opportunity to show he can make plays. If I can recall correctly, Roscoe was having an outstanding camp until he got hurt. For whatever reason, Reed supposedly plays well in training camp and then becomes very average during the season. Reed has had his shot. Now let Roscoe shine. 0:)

If you look at the whole season last year, an argument could be made that Reed was the most consistent. He had one bad game (San Diego) and did what he was asked to in the other games. This , along with the fact that he is our best blocker from the WR position is likely why he is still here.

If you look at the whole season last year, an argument could be made that Reed was the most consistent. He had one bad game (San Diego) and did what he was asked to in the other games. This , along with the fact that he is our best blocker from the WR position is likely why he is still here.

686389[/snapback]

I agree. I believe that he is probably the best WR we have in terms of YAC. He displayed that on a few occasions last year and I think that this year, without EMO, he knows that he is going to have to step it up because he will get more playing time and become more prominent in our offense. He has accepted any role with this team, he was JP's best reciever last year, and he is also a good blocker. I think that it was a good re-sign, considering the uncertainty of the EMO situation.

Why on earth did the Bills just sign Josh Reed to a 4 year, ten million dollar contract?  It's not as if he's a reliable receiver.  Neither does he make any significant contribution to the team in any other area.  So, why spend so much money on this guy?  Shouldn't the Bills try to find a veteran (or even a rookie) possession receiver who will catch the ball when it hits his hands?

686336[/snapback]

Others have mentioned that these $10 million/4 year contracts are pretty much laden with incentives to be met, and if not, the payout really drops. So it would be a big thing for team and player, if the player performs well. Everybody's happy.

If the player doesn't meet the benchmarks - sad - but seemingly not a financial blow to the club.

Perhaps contracts like these are more or less contemporary boilerplate.

686389[/snapback]

Agree with you. Sorry, poster he is a much better talent than Andre Davis and the thought of jonathan Smith as an option had Mr. Levy looking for cemetary plots.

Bottom line... He's better than the rest... other than L. Evans... too early to make a judgment on R. Parrish.

I think Reed gets a bad rap 'cuz he hasn't lived up to the hype. He is what he is.. and that's better than these other guys that are lucky to have an NFL job

It seems to me that Reed improved last year. He makes all of the tough catches but still dropped a few of the gimmies. I thought that Reed was our best receiver in the underneath zone coverage. He showed a knack for getting open. As another poster mentioned Reed is also our best blocking WR.

As for Roscoe, I think if he is given the opportunity he will shine. I wouldn't be surprised if we had Evans and Parrish as our 2 outside recivers, while Reed filled in at the slot.

Reed over the course of his career has bad hands.  How can Roscoe be a considered a bust after only 1 year?  0:) 

It boggles the mind to see Wire and Reed still on the roster.

686444[/snapback]

actually he has had better hands than Lee and Eric if you read the stats that a fellow bills fan posted a lil while back

Didn't he have good hands in college?

I thought most of his problems seemed to be in his head then with his abilities.

Given the chance he could still become a good receiver and I think he is better then some of the receivers on this team.

If we can call Losman a bust after only 8 games why can't we call Roscoe one after 1 season?

Compare two 5th year slot receivers career numbers:

G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

60 25 143 1699 11.9 51 6 21 2 85

64 23 162 2012 12.4 63 7 31 3 95

Clearly a slight edge to the second set of stats. That guy got a 7 year/ 30 Million dollar contract. I can live with Josh Reed.

Compare two 5th year slot receivers career numbers:

G GS No  Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

60 25 143 1699 11.9 51  6    21  2  85

64 23 162 2012 12.4 63  7    31  3  95

Clearly a slight edge to the second set of stats.  That guy got a 7 year/ 30 Million dollar contract.  I can live with Josh Reed.

686573[/snapback]

Going to Raymor Flanagans to pick out furniture soon? 0:)