Deadliest Catch

I watched a few episodes last year and, while I don't want to completely discount the risk involved, I was actually disappointed that more limbs weren't lost. Is that bad?

My wife and I just started watching last night and we are hooked.  The stuff that the deck hands do is completely insane.  Some of these guys experience more terrifying things in one day than most people do in a lifetime. 

awesome promo video

686330[/snapback]

wow, what a great idea for a show....A buddy of mine did that back in the early 90's. He used to tell me about how many people would die each year, and how if you get tossed off the boat you pretty much have one shot to survive - a single toss of the lifesaver. He was one tough SOB, that guy.

wow, what a great idea for a show....A buddy of mine did that back in the early 90's. He used to tell me about how many people would die each year, and how if you get tossed off the boat you pretty much have one shot to survive - a single toss of the lifesaver. He was one tough SOB, that guy.

686335[/snapback]

One episode a "greenhorn" (rookie) was threatening to jump ship because he couldn't take the Baring Sea anymore. In an interview after he was returned to shore (costing the ships team thousands of dollars), he stated that he had never been on the ocean OR a boat before. 0:)

I watched a few episodes last year and, while I don't want to completely discount the risk involved, I was actually disappointed that more limbs weren't lost. Is that bad?

686333[/snapback]

We keep waiting for someone to go overboard. It nearly happens every episode, but not yet.

the narrator is also the host of 'Dirty Jobs' also a really good series.

What does this say about network tv when shows like these (and mythbusters) are more fun to watch that what's offered by the networks.

One episode a "greenhorn" (rookie) was threatening to jump ship because he couldn't take the Baring Sea anymore.  In an interview after he was returned to shore (costing the ships team thousands of dollars), he stated that he had never been on the ocean OR a boat before.  0:)

686340[/snapback]

Either their screening process is really pathetic, or they must have them sign all sorts of liability forms before they leave port..... :w00t:

Either their screening process is really pathetic, or they must have them sign all sorts of liability forms before they leave port..... :w00t:

686361[/snapback]

I think the screening process was:

Fishboat Captain: "You want to risk your life and make up to $20,000 in one month"

GreenHorn: "Sure!" 0:)

I think the screening process was:

Fishboat Captain:  "You want to risk your life and make up to $20,000 in one month"

GreenHorn:  "Sure!"  0:)

686368[/snapback]

You're probably right, lol. My friend is a tough bastard, and there were clearly times when he was scared shitless. He had run into some problems with the IRS following a divorce, so he felt it was something he sort of HAD to do, but I think I remember him saying there's no way in hell he'd ever go back. He was gone for like 3 months, I believe, and he made a nice chunk of change, though.

I love the show. I watched all last season and I'm up to date on all this season as well.

There are actually 2 crab seasons - King Crab in the fall, and Opilio (snow) crab in the winter. The winter season is even more hazardous because temps are colder and ice builds up on the gear, making the bots very top heavy and at risk to capsize.

Last season one of the boats they weren't following, the Big Valley, sank - 5 died and only 1 guy survived. This season the boat where the greenhorn freaked out and had to get off actually flipped on its side as the boat went back to sea. A huge rogue wave hit them in the night but fortunately the ship righted itself - really scary.

The craziest thing was last season when one of the guys went overboard but they quickly rescued him with the crane - experienced guys said that they had never seen a guy go into the water and live, but this guy was luckier than anything - amazing video.

The show's a bit different now that the fishing rules changed. last season crab season was an all out race - how much could you get in the very short season they had. This year it's different - each boat has a quota and it's not a race. Many boats got out of the game and sold their quotas to other boats, so it's not quite as crazy as it used to be. Still an excellent show.

I love the show. I watched all last season and I'm up to date on all this season as well.

There are actually 2 crab seasons - King Crab in the fall, and Opilio (snow) crab in the winter. The winter season is even more hazardous because temps are colder and ice builds up on the gear, making the bots very top heavy and at risk to capsize.

Last season one of the boats they weren't following, the Big Valley, sank - 5 died and only 1 guy survived. This season the boat where the greenhorn freaked out and had to get off actually flipped on its side as the boat went back to sea. A huge rogue wave hit them in the night but fortunately the ship righted itself - really scary.

The craziest thing was last season when one of the guys went overboard but they quickly rescued him with the crane - experienced guys said that they had never seen a guy go into the water and live, but this guy was luckier than anything - amazing video.

The show's a bit different now that the fishing rules changed. last season crab season was an all out race - how much could you get in the very short season they had. This year it's different - each boat has a quota and it's not a race. Many boats got out of the game and sold their quotas to other boats, so it's not quite as crazy as it used to be. Still an excellent show.

686377[/snapback]

Last season a 60 foot rouge wave hit one of the boats and nearly capsized it. They caught it on film... I thought everone on board was going to die. Luckly they made it... but damn! The Captian said afterwards that he had always heard stories from the old timers in bars about rouge waves but he never thought he see one or live to tell the story afterwards.

LOL moment of the series was when the captain of a ship called "The Nothwestern" pulled up the crab pot of another captain's boat (a real buthole) filled it with dirty underware and welded it closed! :angry:

Great show !

LOL moment of the series was when the captain of a ship called "The Nothwestern" pulled up the crab pot of another captain's boat (a real buthole) filled it with dirty underware and welded it closed!  :angry:

Great show !

686997[/snapback]

Know why? :lol:

Those guys have balls of brass. But when you find out they make $30000 for a WEEK of work, you understand why. Couple that with their alaskan oil checks, they relaly don't have to work the rest of the year.

Kinda like the divers who get paid to clean out the nuclear reactor tanks.

Know why?  :angry:

687006[/snapback]

They were just paying back a bit of barroom boasting, all in fun. The crew that got their pot welded shut got back at the other boat by messing with one of their pots. Boys being boys.

They were just paying back a bit of barroom boasting, all in fun.  The crew that got their pot welded shut got back at the other boat by messing with one of their pots.  Boys being boys.

687043[/snapback]

Best part was when the crew was saying man "This is old school... I haven't seen this in ten years!" lol

Best part was when the crew was saying man "This is old school... I haven't seen this in ten years!" lol

687064[/snapback]

They did figure out a solution pretty quickly though. Snowcrab season starts this week doesn't it?

Those guys have balls of brass. But when you find out they make $30000 for a WEEK of work, you understand why. Couple that with their alaskan oil checks, they relaly don't have to work the rest of the year.

Kinda like the divers who get paid to clean out the nuclear reactor tanks.

687017[/snapback]

Not everyone does that well - if you have problems that need expensive repairs or have lots of dead loss your share of the reduced profits can be much less than $30K.

The big problem these days is the lack of jobs to be had. They changed the fishing rules and went to a quota system - only the bigger boats survived by buying out the quotas assigned to the smaller boats. Lots of fishermen out of work as the fllet consolidated. You have to be luck just to land a gig on one of the remaining boats.

How can you not love that show? My brother is addicted to it...those guys are really amazing. They basically work 20 hour days though, or about that. I remember one show they were saying they wouldn't be able to sleep the last 2 days cause of all the preperations they had to make before getting back to port. Awesome show.