Suns defeat Lakers in game 7

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely watch basketball at all during the regular season, but come playoff time I can get into it if there are some good games. I caught a couple of the early games in the series, and then by game 5 when the Kobe/Raja thing went down I was pretty into it. The Suns totally nutted up in game 6 (Tim Thomas is a former Sixer....gotta love that kid) and I was psyched that the forced a game 7. I friggin HATE Kobe and Phil, so it gave me great pleasure to watch them get B word slapped last night. The Suns ran them in circles from the opening tipoff until the last buzzer. That was a very satisfying basketball game :(

I wasn't sure how to feel about this series. I hate the Lakers but it would've been awesome seeing them lose to the Clippers in the next round. Oh well. These playoffs are a snoozer; might as well start the Spurs-Pistons finals series today.

Barbosa looked like he was running a track meet.

685746[/snapback]

Sure your guys don't mean Barbaro? :( ... For a second their I thought the Nazis were retaking Russia (USSR)... The I noticed the poor speelling of Barbarossa, it was a dead giveaway... :P:P

Of course I am being a smart-ass...

:(;):D

He'll never be Jordan and proved it by not trying to carry his team back.

685717[/snapback]

Kobe is not Jordan, but let's not throw him completely under the bus. In game 4, the guy hit a game tying floating layup at the end of regulation and a fade away jumper at the buzzer in OT to win the game and take a 3-1 series lead. In game 6 he scored 50 points and if his team could've gotten a rebound, Tim Thomas never would've hit a three to tie the game. Kobe would've had 50, the Lakers would've upset, and everyone would've said how Kobe put the team on his back.

I'm not a big Kobe fan, but let's not alter history here. Jordan was the greatest player and winner of the Nike hoops generation. But come on: Smush Parker is not Steve Kerr, Luke Walton is not Scottie Pippen, Kwame Brown is not Dennis Rodman. Jordan had vet Ron Harper in the backcourt with him, and Kukoc coming off the bench. Surround a player of Jordan's caliber with those guys and they should win. Kobe leading the Lakers' team of stiffs into the playoffs at all was quite the accomplishment.

Now, that said, the Lakers did build a championship team, and Kobe was a major factor in driving that apart. He forced a trade of one of the greatest centers in league history when Shaq was still in his low-30's. Not exactly his prime, but plenty of games left. Now Kobe got what he wanted....His own team and a 1st round exit.

Kobe is not Jordan, but let's not throw him completely under the bus.  In game 4, the guy hit a game tying floating layup at the end of regulation and a fade away jumper at the buzzer in OT to win the game and take a 3-1 series lead.  In game 6 he scored 50 points and if his team could've gotten a rebound, Tim Thomas never would've hit a three to tie the game.  Kobe would've had 50, the Lakers would've upset, and everyone would've said how Kobe put the team on his back.

I'm not a big Kobe fan, but let's not alter history here.  Jordan was the greatest player and winner of the Nike hoops generation.  But come on: Smush Parker is not Steve Kerr, Luke Walton is not Scottie Pippen, Kwame Brown is not Dennis Rodman.  Jordan had vet Ron Harper in the backcourt with him, and Kukoc coming off the bench.  Surround a player of Jordan's caliber with those guys and they should win.  Kobe leading the Lakers' team of stiffs into the playoffs at all was quite the accomplishment.

Now, that said, the Lakers did build a championship team, and Kobe was a major factor in driving that apart.  He forced a trade of one of the greatest centers in league history when Shaq was still in his low-30's.  Not exactly his prime, but plenty of games left.  Now Kobe got what he wanted....His own team and a 1st round exit.

686220[/snapback]

i agree that Kobe Bryant is a great player. i hate saying that because i really don't like the personality he puts out there for fans to see....but he is a great player. it is unfortunate for him that he is a lousy person and an even more lousy teammate. you say we shouldn't toss him under the bus, but he wouldn't hesitate to throw one of his own teammates under the bus in a heartbeat to deflect the attention of a loss away from himself.

so steve nash wins the MVP.

when Kobe was asked how he would vote for the league MVP he said he would vote for himself. when asked who would he vote for if he couldn't vote for himself he said, he would send the ballot in blank.

thats Kobe.

when Kobe was asked how he would vote for the league MVP he said he would vote for himself.  when asked who would he vote for if he couldn't vote for himself he said, he would send the ballot in blank.

thats Kobe.

686228[/snapback]

:( Yeah he does love himself a bit.

He should've said he would vote for Shaq!

Good, maybe kobe "therapist" bryant can tee it up with the flyers and leafs now all offseason.

its a serious insult to MJ to even mention kobe in the same breath. MJ raised the level of his teammates in tough situations. All kobe does in tough times is take even more shots.

its a serious insult to MJ to even mention kobe in the same breath. MJ raised the level of his teammates in tough situations. All kobe does in tough times is take even more shots.

686241[/snapback]

That's exactly right, IMO. Those other players around Jordan became solid role players in large part BECAUSE of Jordan. He demanded excellence out of them and they delivered. If they were all that great by themselves, then they'd have won titles #4 and #5 during the two years Jordan was off playing baseball instead of having to wait for him to return. The fact is, w/out Jordan, they weren't the same team, and they weren't the same individual players. Kobe is no Jordan - never will be, either.

Kobe is not Jordan, but let's not throw him completely under the bus.  In game 4, the guy hit a game tying floating layup at the end of regulation and a fade away jumper at the buzzer in OT to win the game and take a 3-1 series lead.  In game 6 he scored 50 points and if his team could've gotten a rebound, Tim Thomas never would've hit a three to tie the game.  Kobe would've had 50, the Lakers would've upset, and everyone would've said how Kobe put the team on his back.

I'm not a big Kobe fan, but let's not alter history here.  Jordan was the greatest player and winner of the Nike hoops generation.  But come on: Smush Parker is not Steve Kerr, Luke Walton is not Scottie Pippen, Kwame Brown is not Dennis Rodman.  Jordan had vet Ron Harper in the backcourt with him, and Kukoc coming off the bench.  Surround a player of Jordan's caliber with those guys and they should win.  Kobe leading the Lakers' team of stiffs into the playoffs at all was quite the accomplishment.

Now, that said, the Lakers did build a championship team, and Kobe was a major factor in driving that apart.  He forced a trade of one of the greatest centers in league history when Shaq was still in his low-30's.  Not exactly his prime, but plenty of games left.  Now Kobe got what he wanted....His own team and a 1st round exit.

686220[/snapback]

You can't seriously be saying that Steve Kerr was anything but a marginal player; or that Toni Kukoc or Ron Harper were much better than average.

You can't seriously be saying that Steve Kerr was anything but a marginal player; or that Toni Kukoc or Ron Harper were much better than average.

686352[/snapback]

What about Cartwright and Longley?? Hell, Kobe didn't win a damn thing until Shaq was paired with him. Jordan didn't NEED no stinkin' SHAQ, mang

That's exactly right, IMO. Those other players around Jordan became solid role players in large part BECAUSE of Jordan. He demanded excellence out of them and they delivered. If they were all that great by themselves, then they'd have won titles #4 and #5 during the two years Jordan was off playing baseball instead of having to wait for him to return. The fact is, w/out Jordan, they weren't the same team, and they weren't the same individual players. Kobe is no Jordan - never will be, either.

686284[/snapback]

To be fair, they did win 55 games in the only full season MJ wasn't there and came within a bogus foul call away from likely losing to Houston in the finals. I always thought that was pretty good evidence that Pippen was and still is enormously underrated given how weak the supporting cast was. I'm not referring to you but anybody who has ever said Scottie was nothing without MJ is retarded IMO.

To be fair, they did win 55 games in the only full season MJ wasn't there and came within a bogus foul call away from likely losing to Houston in the finals.  I always thought that was pretty good evidence that Pippen was and still is enormously underrated given how weak the supporting cast was.  I'm not referring to you but anybody who has ever said Scottie was nothing without MJ is retarded IMO.

686358[/snapback]

No, I agree with you....Pippen was clearly more than a role player. He was a star in his own right.

This was posted on another board; thought it was interesting.

Lakers/Suns Game 7 reminded me of a anecdote. It's been 5 years since I read this book, so I'm recalling from memory as best I can.

Some coach or scout was headed to watch the varsity game at high school. He got there a little early and was watching the end of JV game, where he was watching this player who was far more intense than the other players on the court. This guy was hustling for every board, pass, attacking the basket, and playing hardnosed defense. Everything a coach could want in a player. The guy naturally assumed it was a close game, because this player was so intent on winning. He looked up at the score, and he saw that player's team down by like 40 points with just a few minutes left. This guy was Michael Jordan.

It was from Halberstam's Playing for Keeps.