I like this guy already.....

"This season I practiced against two of the top receivers in the NCAA [Pittsburgh Steelers first-round pick Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn Jr.]," Youboty said. "Going back to my freshman year, I played against [Atlanta Falcon and former Buckeye] Mike Jenkins, [ex-Michigan star and current Cleveland Browns receiver] Braylon Edwards, all the guys that are playing in the league right now. I think Ohio State has prepared me for [the NFL] and I'm looking forward to getting better and helping the team."

with our pass rush, he better know how to cover.

684264[/snapback]

And since we usually allow a immobile pocket passer stand around without any pressure for about 10 minutes he better have some endurance

"This season I practiced against two of the top receivers in the NCAA [Pittsburgh Steelers first-round pick Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn Jr.]," Youboty said. "Going back to my freshman year, I played against [Atlanta Falcon and former Buckeye] Mike Jenkins, [ex-Michigan star and current Cleveland Browns receiver] Braylon Edwards, all the guys that are playing in the league right now. I think Ohio State has prepared me for [the NFL] and I'm looking forward to getting better and helping the team."

684261[/snapback]

This is the type of thing that Marv is looking for - not someone who will claim he's a "lockdown corner" (I hate that term) then get toasted more than a marshmallow at a campfire.

with our pass rush, he better know how to cover.

684264[/snapback]

I am getting so tired of this friggen statement being spammed over this board....

"well...you know we aint got no pass rush"

No I DONT know that we have no pass rush......

- One of the fundamental problems with our pass rush over the past year was a. Complete lack of pass rush from the interior of our defense and b. Sam Adams being too fat and undisciplined to want to play run on his way into the backfield....

- that was the FOCUS of this draft by taking McCargo (and williams) AND getting Tripplett.....big quick DT's who can create pressure up the middle thus not allowing QB's to step up into the pocket and avoid the outside pass rush of our DE's

If I had to make an educated guess....I would say that our pass rush will be significantly better this year.....and we may give up some big runs....

A-freekin-men John!

I am much more comfortable with the moves made by Marv and Co. as oppsoed to the moves that would be made by the our brain trust here (yes this would include myself) at TBD or the national media.

A-freekin-men John!

I am much more comfortable with the moves made by Marv and Co. as oppsoed to the moves that would be made by the our brain trust here (yes this would include myself) at TBD or the national media.

684550[/snapback]

We just got rid of a pretend GM whose picks basically made no sense. Except the media did not really pay attention.

I might add that for all the bitching people did about not drafting linemen....

Exactly HOW MANY DID WE DRAFT?

A bunch my bills brothers and sisters....a whole buch

684689[/snapback]

Based on past threads, I am expecting the replies to argue which rounds the O-linemans were drafted. Any takers? JSP?

Based on past threads, I am expecting the replies to argue which rounds the O-linemans were drafted.  Any takers? JSP?

684696[/snapback]

And the people who whined about not drafting guys in the first couple of rounds are wrong. Granted, there is more of a chance that higher draft picks succeed, high picks can bust as well (see Mike Williams, currently on the Bucs :lol: ). but look around the league. The Pats don't have 1st rounders all over their line. Neither do the Broncos, Colts, and many other teams (this is off the top of my head, so if I'm a little wrong, please cut me some slack :lol: ). Point is, coaching is a big part of the equation. So hopefully, McNally can do some wonders.

If I had to make an educated guess....I would say that our pass rush will be significantly better this year.....and we may give up some big runs....

684518[/snapback]

Big runs usually happen when the DL is sealed off, the LBs are either sealed off or misdirected, and the LBs and DBs in man coverage are drawn so far away from the LOS by the receivers that they can't make a tackle in time.

Cover 2 is primarily zone coverage, so some LBs and DBs are going to stay at home and will be able to make a play on the RB. It really is a bend-but-don't-break defense which is probably why Marv likes it so much. Sure it can be scored on, but not quickly, provided that the defenders play disciplined ball.

The pass rush will improve and I too am glad to hear these comments made by Whitner. Based on his work ethic and statements he is the type of quality player that the Bills need on defense. The pass rush will be better and I have a feeling the secondary is going to be a big part of this younger, faster and BETTER defense. Marv did a great job in this draft and I think we'll see the results as the season goes along.

Big runs usually happen when the DL is sealed off, the LBs are either sealed off or misdirected, and the LBs and DBs in man coverage are drawn so far away from the LOS by the receivers that they can't make a tackle in time.

Cover 2 is primarily zone coverage, so some LBs and DBs are going to stay at home and will be able to make a play on the RB. It really is a bend-but-don't-break defense which is probably why Marv likes it so much. Sure it can be scored on, but not quickly, provided that the defenders play disciplined ball.

684948[/snapback]

i agree in principal, but i think the scheme is what is more read and react rather than aggressive (our last scheme is prolly the most aggressive in the NFL, even blitzburg disguises and stays home some of the time), but players can be aggressive within that scheme.

guys like nate, schoble, TKO, london, mcgee, vincent, and IMO whitner even in his first year make plays that force turnovers and turn turnovers into scores. in a cover 2 scheme we hit them all day and stop big plays while having a shot at a positive play for the D every down.

our last scheme would often cause negative yardage plays, which are good, but don't mean anything if we get burned on 3rd downs or get chewed up late in the game with simple running plays.

i think we have have a very good D next season if TKO comes back healthy