Draft "Experts" - Their Blunders = Steals

Ahhh..... the one way street of self righteousness where non-football people are NEVER wrong but Teams are wrong more often than not. 

I noticed many players some of these " Experts "  had going early in the draft fell to Day 2 or literally off the radar. So when they are finally picked, these players are not "overrated" at all...they are " Steals " . Ahhh....I see. They, the "experts", couldn't be wrong. Impossible.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idiots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Then the final grades roll in - The teams that picked the guys where the "experts" slotted them and made them look good receive an A. The teams that sought players that could help them win and ignored the " experts " rankings, relying on actual film and scouting instead, received no higher than a B- or even a D.

And the Lemmings usually side with the "experts", too lazy to do their own research and usually haven't seen any of these players actually play a game.

Got it.

Queue the Bowie music.  " We can be hero's...just for one day ! "  :)

679671[/snapback]

Yep, that sums it up perfectly. The only thing worse is when fans give out grades.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this is my first post, though I have been reading this site for about four years. For some reason I was forced into making an account to view the draft day chatter--- and for my first post:

I agree completely. These draft day talking heads are so slanted I really wonder why anyone listens to them. I am happy with our picks considering we have not seen any of the rookies play a down. So we reached on 2 picks--according to the crap feeders- and then got 2 steals right after--again according to the crap feeders. So those of us who really pay attention to these talking heads...well wouldn't that make us 'crap eaters'? So for now I'll reserve judgement, if only to keep my mouth clean.

As I wrote in another thread (applies more here I think), if ESPN/the media causes so many people in here to get all vitriolic, upset, and defensive, the solution to their problems is simple: don't watch it, you'll feel better.

As I wrote in another thread (applies more here I think), if ESPN/the media causes so many people in here to get all vitriolic, upset, and defensive, the solution to their problems is simple: don't watch it, you'll feel better.

680081[/snapback]

What is really scary, is that it's beyond the point of doing our thinking/telling us what to think...now, we let them tell us how to feel about it.

Mark IV,

Where were you when I spent 2 hours trying to make the exact same point on our draft show the other day?  Nobody had my back except Jeremy White.

Well written and 100% true.

680043[/snapback]

During the draft? He was sitting right next to me... and correctly predicting the Bills would select McCargo as soon as they traded into #26.

During the draft? He was sitting right next to me... and correctly predicting the Bills would select McCargo as soon as they traded into #26.

680141[/snapback]

Dammit. I needed that phone call.

Mark IV let me down.

680141[/snapback]

He got to sit next to you? :doh:

I heard it was a pretty good time. How could you stand that many ass holes in one place at one time?

so why weren't all the teams desperate for a QB knocking themselves out to trade into the top 10 to draft him?

Denver was willing to move up, but to draft Cutler- not Leinart.

The answer is that the NFL scouts had Leinart rated considerably lower than the media experts. Bills had him as a 2nd rounder.

679961[/snapback]

Exactly. Thats because the media couldnt pull USC's dick out of their mouths enough to realize leinart is a good QB on a great team. They see he's 34-2 as a starter, and Bingo, he must be the best QB, regardless of how good the team around him was.

Leinart has all the brains to be a solid QB. The problem is that his arm is only slightly less limp than holcombs.

Matt Leinart = Chad Pennington - the injury.

Dammit.  I needed that phone call.

Mark IV let me down.

680144[/snapback]

Probably because you refer to him as a "druggie" (IV) versus his correct standing as "Village Idiot" (VI).

Maybe there's an angle there...Boomer has his cab driver....maybe you can have your village idiot. :doh:

Exactly. Thats because the media couldnt pull USC's dick out of their mouths enough to realize leinart is a good QB on a great team. They see he's 34-2 as a starter, and Bingo, he must be the best QB, regardless of how good the team around him was.

Leinart has all the brains to be a solid QB. The problem is that his arm is only slightly less limp than holcombs.

Matt Leinart = Chad Pennington - the injury.

680216[/snapback]

Ramius, you are exactly right about the talking heads drooling throughout both days of the draft about the USC players. They even were oogling over the 6th/7th round lineman that was taken. If they spent more time discussing team needs and less time discussing the marquee names, they might have been a bit more informative.

Mark, you couldn't have been more correct with your post. ESPN, IMO, has lost a ton of credibility over the years with their draft analysis. They tend to hype a certain number of players, probably for ratings sake, than actually discuss why certain teams draft who they do.

Any one of the talking heads on ESPN could have discussed the fact that the defensive back position in todays NFL is probably the most coveted positions for top of the line players. If you have a shot at getting a very good DB in the draft, get him, because odds are that you won't be able to afford one in free agency. this is a HUGE point that I think a lot of people have overlooked with the way the Bills drafted. Probably the second most coveted position teams are looking at is quality DLinemen that can step in and play. You get your moneys worth out of those two positions more than any other position, IMO.

680216[/snapback]

Bingo.

What was Eric Dorsey's record as a Miami Hurricane again???

How exactly is he doing in the pros?

Probably because you refer to him as a "druggie" (IV) versus his correct standing as "Village Idiot" (VI). 

Maybe there's an angle there...Boomer has his cab driver....maybe you can have your village idiot. :doh:

680247[/snapback]

Danm dylsexia kikcing in agian.

(In my mind, I was just calling him 4 instead of 6.)

The answer is that the NFL scouts had Leinart rated considerably lower than the media experts. Bills had him as a 2nd rounder.

679961[/snapback]

I saw that report about the Bills having him as a second rounder too but I don't buy it. I also read today that they had him rated as the 10th or 11th best player but weren't really considering a QB at all.

So much for all the "Marv and Co. don't like J.P." stuff that was rampant a few months ago.

I saw that report about the Bills having him as a second rounder too but I don't buy it.  I also read today that they had him rated as the 10th or 11th best player but weren't really considering a QB at all.

So much for all the "Marv and Co. don't like J.P." stuff that was rampant a few months ago.

680447[/snapback]

They probably realized like most of us that we have more pressing needs than QB.

Ahhh..... the one way street of self righteousness where non-football people are NEVER wrong but Teams are wrong more often than not. 

I noticed many players some of these " Experts "  had going early in the draft fell to Day 2 or literally off the radar. So when they are finally picked, these players are not "overrated" at all...they are " Steals " . Ahhh....I see. They, the "experts", couldn't be wrong. Impossible.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idiots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Then the final grades roll in - The teams that picked the guys where the "experts" slotted them and made them look good receive an A. The teams that sought players that could help them win and ignored the " experts " rankings, relying on actual film and scouting instead, received no higher than a B- or even a D.

And the Lemmings usually side with the "experts", too lazy to do their own research and usually haven't seen any of these players actually play a game.

Got it.

Queue the Bowie music.  " We can be hero's...just for one day ! "  :doh:

679671[/snapback]

Who's gonna block for our QBs and McGahee this fall?

Who's going to stop the run?

680141[/snapback]

I can't believe I had to leave 5 mins before that... Who plans a family reunion on draft day?? :doh:

I can't believe I had to leave 5 mins before that... Who plans a family reunion on draft day?? :lol:

680587[/snapback]

Argh. Still good seeing you and your dad, though.

About five years ago, some of my cousins decided to move our family reunion to the first weekend of August... the same weekend as the HOF induction and/or Bills scrimmage.

Needless to say, I haven't been to one since..... :P