Bills draft is a train wreck

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good pick only if he was about to go to some other team and he turns out to be a great player.  The Bills needed to move up if there was a run on the position, but it is not at all clear there was a run imminent.  Someone declared that the Jets were going to take him, but that wasn't substantiated by any other source and they went offense.

675838[/snapback]

Nonsense. He's a good pick if he plays well. He's a terrible pick if he plays terrible. The scouts and brass clearly loved this guy, because of what they did to get him. They may have made a bad play in retrospect but they DIDN'T think he was going to be available when they chose again. That is indisputable. I really liked this guy myself, and I'm happy we have him. It remains to be seen, and we won't know for three years whether this was a good move or not. One thing that hasn't been talked a lot about, however, if we probably have taken two players that will start day one, play one. Perhaps not but I think both of them will. You don't usually get two starters in any draft.

Nonsense. He's a good pick if he plays well. He's a terrible pick if he plays terrible. The scouts and brass clearly loved this guy, because of what they did to get him. They may have made a bad play in retrospect but they DIDN'T think he was going to be available when they chose again. That is indisputable. I really liked this guy myself, and I'm happy we have him. It remains to be seen, and we won't know for three years whether this was a good move or not. One thing that hasn't been talked a lot about, however, if we probably have taken two players that will start day one, play one. Perhaps not but I think both of them will. You don't usually get two starters in any draft.

675866[/snapback]

If they are 1st rounders they do.

675866[/snapback]

So, you think it makes sense to move up in the draft to get a guy even if you could've drafted him later and not given up as much or anything? And this is OK because the guy might be a starter day one? (Largely because Marv himself created the holes these guys are filling.)

Sure. Whatever.

So, you think it makes sense to move up in the draft to get a guy even if you could've drafted him later and not given up as much or anything?  And this is OK because the guy might be a starter day one?  (Largely because Marv himself created the holes these guys are filling.)

Sure. Whatever.

675947[/snapback]

YOU, me, and everyone else here has NO IDEA whether those players would have been available. Ask Winston Justice and Aaron Rogers.

It's like some of you people live in a vacuum.

So, you think it makes sense to move up in the draft to get a guy even if you could've drafted him later and not given up as much or anything?  And this is OK because the guy might be a starter day one?  (Largely because Marv himself created the holes these guys are filling.)

Sure. Whatever.

675947[/snapback]

There is no indication whatsoever that either of these guys would have been available later and there is some indication that they would not. Clearly, the Bills thought that they would not.

YOU, me, and everyone else here has NO IDEA whether those players would have been available.  Ask Winston Justice and Aaron Rogers.

It's like some of you people live in a vacuum.

675961[/snapback]

So you're just as apt to be wrong as the "over-payed bigtime" croud, huh? :(

So you're just as apt to be wrong as the "over-payed bigtime" croud, huh?    :(

675998[/snapback]

I'd say more, since the only college ball I watched last season was the Irish. I have no idea who John McCargo is, though Whitner played pretty damn well against Charlie Weis and co in the Fiesta Bowl.

Go find another team to root for.  Get lost, whiners.

PTR

675519[/snapback]

Is this like "Love it or Leave it"? Somehow criticizing your team equates to not loving them? I'd think it's just the opposite; those that sit there complacently don't care enough to form an opinion.

Sure... Whitner is probably not as good as Bing on paper, but you have to look at the teams they played with. He's a good player, and he's GOT HOPS. The kid jumps, and can knock QB's over with upper body strength alone. I like him, but McCargo was a joke. He's, as stated before, a "solid", and only "solid", DT. They could've done much better. We'll have to settle for mid summer cuts and so on to fill our roster with starters.

There is no indication whatsoever that either of these guys would have been available later and there is some indication that they would not. Clearly, the Bills thought that they would not.

675995[/snapback]

If the Bills were so scared to trade out of the 8th pick to get Whitner, then why didn't they trade up to get him? For those of you who keep insisting that he may not have been there a couple of picks down, well you are right, he may not have been. But he may not have been there at 8 also, so why didn't we trade up to #1 & make sure we got the man we wanted? Answer: Because he wasn't worth the first overall pick. Who says he isn't worth it? Apparently the Bills because they didn't trade up. It's about value. Also if they were so enamored with him why did it take so long to make the selection?

Two solid players with good character at positions of need. What the F is wrong with that? Beacuse Mel "Hair Product" Kiper said so? It's a disaster because they didn't take Bunckley, Leinhart or Justice? There's a reason those guys fell in the draft. Leinhart in Buffalo weather would be an utter disaster. Bills didn't need a QB anyways. Buckley & Justice have serious character issues. All the Bills did is give up one extra third round pick and took two players they wanted and needed. At the very least, it's better than taking another WR, TE or trading away the first rounder again. Holy Crap. Drafting high character players at positions of need and it's a disaster. Unreal. The last 5 years were a disaster. Maybe people got used to that.

If the Bills were so scared to trade out of the 8th pick to get Whitner, then why didn't they trade up to get him? For those of you who keep insisting that he may not have been there a couple of picks down, well you are right, he may not have been. But he may not have been there at 8 also, so why didn't we trade up to #1 & make sure we got the man we wanted? Answer: Because he wasn't worth the first overall pick. Who says he isn't worth it? Apparently the Bills because they didn't trade up. It's about value. Also if they were so enamored with him why did it take so long to make the selection?

676120[/snapback]

They didn't move up to take him because he was going to be there. That's a no brainer. I think they'd have taken seven of the eight players picked in front of him (Vince Young being the obvious exception) had they been there.

They took the entire fifteen minutes because there's always a chance, no matter how small, that someone will make you an offer you can't refuse. No reason not to do that.

This draft stinks. The idea is to choose the best palyers available and build around them. I am flabbergasted, this ranks as one of the poorest uses of value of draft picks I have seen in 20 years of watching the draft. These guys might be good players but no one else valued them this high, so we should have been able to do so much more.

Is anyone really satisfied that we could have kept all our picks and still have gotten Ngata and Roman Harper. Instead of these 2?

I haven't been this apalled since the reach for Erik Flowers. Pass me one of the bags from the 'Aints fans. :o

This draft stinks. The idea is to choose the best palyers available and build around them. I am flabbergasted, this ranks as one of the poorest uses of value of draft picks I have seen in 20 years of watching the draft. These guys might be good players but no one else valued them this high, so we should have been able to do so much more.

Is anyone really satisfied that we could have kept all our picks and still have gotten Ngata and Roman Harper. Instead of these 2?

I haven't been this apalled since the reach for Erik Flowers. Pass me one of the bags from the 'Aints fans. :o

676186[/snapback]

You have zero idea of how other teams rated these guys. None. You have an idea of how people who aren't good enough to be employed in the NFL think of them.

One of the best comments of the day was Modrak, simply saying the obvious. Kiper has his board and we have ours, depending on our scheme.

I'll admit we have no idea of the draft boards of other teams. But, when evaluators (even us fans) look at productivity in college, off field problems, combine results, we have the basically the same data. There is no way in heck that all of us non NFL GM's can be that much different than the sum of the 32 boards. Reaching for a position of need has never been a good draft strategy. Picking the best talent and figuring how to use them is the way to go. These guys have a lot to prove. So based on where they were drafted and what value they had in my eyes - so far they stink.

Hope to be presently surpised (that is why I opt for a bag on the head as opposed to jumping to another team).

This isn't really rocket science. Look, you could be GM of team X and have Paul Pinegar rated, under your system, as the greatest QB in the draft in the last decade. And, you may know something noone else on the planet knows. And, you may be right.

But, if you trade your entire 2006 and 2007 drafts to Houston for the #1 overall pick and take Pinegar, you are a moron because you have absolutely no clue what is going on around you. Value is defined by the market, not one's own hard ons for particular players. Even if Pinegar is some combination of Elway and Montana, history is going to say you had a witless fool's luck on your side. And, still the chances of it working out that well are fantastically small.

I'll admit we have no idea of the draft boards of other teams. But, when evaluators (even us fans) look at productivity in college, off field problems, combine results, we have the basically the same data. There is no way in heck that all of us non NFL GM's can be that much different than the sum of the 32 boards. Reaching for a position of need has never been a good draft strategy. Picking the best talent and figuring how to use them is the way to go. These guys have a lot to prove. So based on where they were drafted and what value they had in my eyes - so far they stink.

Hope to be presently surpised (that is why I opt for a bag on the head as opposed to jumping to another team).

676236[/snapback]

I don't think that's true. Look at the two positions the Bills have taken players at, Safety and DT. Certain players that may be rated higher on other boards may not be the higher player on the Bills board because of the schemes. A guy like Huff may be a better player for 20 teams and Whitner may be a better player for 12 teams because of the scheme. McCargo may be the very best player or second best player in the Bills scheme and yet he may be the 5th or 6th best player in the Dolphins or Jets or Patriots scheme.